MV120 van

hamish hunter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB120
Hi people - just joined! And not fantastically mechanical! - my daughter, in Spain, has just bought a converted MB120. (1995) she finds it slow - which I see is the “norm” but she’s also concerned the engine seems to heat up a lot - has just had a refurbed radiator put in - a helpful mechanic suggested she should just remove the thermostat.....??! - I wondered if it needed a heavier duty oil? - would hugely appreciate any comments (can anyone tell me what grade of oil SHOULD be used (it’s diesel - they maybe all are....) and at other ideas re it heating up - she constantly has to stop to allow it to cool down! - many thanks!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
What does the coolant temperature get upto before she stops to let it cool down?

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Where in Spain is she? We've had 40 degree heat in interior parts and up hill mine, which normally runs a smidge under 100 has gone higher - to not far off 110. No coolant loss though and always does this when Temps go above 35 ish - from this point 1 or 2 degrees makes a big difference.

Merc temp gauges of this era are actual temp gauges so do move around on hills and in hot weather... Most other manufacturers have them compare temp to expected ecu temp so they stay horizontal at the same temp even when the actual temp is fluctuating...

OP
H

hamish hunter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB120
Where in Spain is she? We've had 40 degree heat in interior parts and up hill mine, which normally runs a smidge under 100 has gone higher - to not far off 110. No coolant loss though and always does this when Temps go above 35 ish - from this point 1 or 2 degrees makes a big difference.

Merc temp gauges of this era are actual temp gauges so do move around on hills and in hot weather... Most other manufacturers have them compare temp to expected ecu temp so they stay horizontal at the same temp even when the actual temp is fluctuating...
- thank you! I’ll pass that on - she’s in Cacaera where I think it HAS BEEN PRETTY HOT!! - can I ask one other question? - she is really struggling to get insurance at a reasonable rate for this van - can you give any recommendations? - many thss as no’s indeed !

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
- thank you! I’ll pass that on - she’s in Cacaera where I think it HAS BEEN PRETTY HOT!! - can I ask one other question? - she is really struggling to get insurance at a reasonable rate for this van - can you give any recommendations? - many thss as no’s indeed !

I'm not saying it isn't a problem just if it goes away at lower temps or is fine on anything except uphill there may not be a problem.

Re insurance I've always found it cheaper in Spain - though she would start with 0 NCB I think as most won't transfer. Rastreator.com would be a place to start - I only did that once 6 years ago as the quote for renewal is always 100€ ish I have been with the same company since.

OP
H

hamish hunter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB120
I'm not saying it isn't a problem just if it goes away at lower temps or is fine on anything except uphill there may not be a problem.

Re insurance I've always found it cheaper in Spain - though she would start with 0 NCB I think as most won't transfer. Rastreator.com would be a place to start - I only did that once 6 years ago as the quote for renewal is always 100€ ish I have been with the same company since.
Thanks very much indeed for that! - you’re right! - she was originally getting quotes of approx €1400......!
But walked into a broker’s office in a small town and got it for €600!

re the overheating, - she says she’s having to stop every 20 minutes or so to let it cool down..... - just feel rather sorry for her!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom