My 1st Merc dissapointment

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The 1992 250 diesel I have has quite light steering, presumably as the Merc is rwd, certainly lighter than the 1993 Prelude I had before it. There must defo be something wrong with it, specially if you never had similar pain in your previous car. As said driving another similar car to confirm and then I'd be back to the dealer.

Do bear in mind that MB have stiffened up their steering considerably over the years in response to the critisims that there was no feel. Your 1992 model will have a steering box and nice light steering (but to be fair, not much feel ) whereas the OP has a steering rack and a much more feel but also a bit less assistance.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I have recently purchased my first merc an 05 C220 CDI estate (Now got a lab puppy !) avantgarde, with sports suspension.

I have taken it back to the dealership and they have done the following

Checked tyre pressure
Done Tracking
Replaced front wheel tyres

A friend advised that it's a Merc feature that the cars are designed to always straighten up ? This is fine but it seems the car is fighting with me every time there is a bend in the road ?

I've got more or less the same model as you - mine is a C270CDi Avantgarde estate, although it's not got sports suspension. Yours presumeably has 17" wheels - mine are 16", 205/50 width/profile tyres at the front.

I can relate to the comment about "fighting" with you in bends - my car, which I've owned since it was a few mths old, has never felt settled. However I wouldn't by any stretch on the imagination say the steering is heavy. All things being equal, yours will feel a little heavier than mine due to wider profile tyres.

The dealer must recognise an issue if they're doing work on the car - I've complained about the cars lack of feeling "planted" and the dealer just fobs me off.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Do bear in mind that MB have stiffened up their steering considerably over the years in response to the critisims that there was no feel. Your 1992 model will have a steering box and nice light steering (but to be fair, not much feel ) whereas the OP has a steering rack and a much more feel but also a bit less assistance.

i find that with my car. i have parameter steering. lovely and light when parking, great around town but its a little on the 'numb' side of things when you want to get a bit enthusiastic on a nice twisty road! you do get used to it, but id like a bit more feel at speed. my 202's always seemed a little less 'numb' feeling!

OP
I

isaac1610

Reaction score
Well I haven't tested a C Class have driven an ML and an SLK since purchasing mine and they both have really light steering !! Actually 1 finger on the wheel jobs ! Am pretty certain it's not in the mind especially after asking that other C class driver if his was heavy. Is it possible that there is a setting in the computer which will enable a greater output from the pwer steering ?? Guess only someone with the star system that connects to it would be able to tell ?

Jberks you had a C220 the same as mine was that steering heavy ??

With mine you actually have to grip the wheel (albeit with one hand)

OP
I

isaac1610

Reaction score
May well have to do just that Jet Tech !

Yes 17"s Rory, only thing is Dealer does not admit to there being anything wrong and has given no paperwork for what they have done ?? Although it was nice of them to get me some new tyres !! Cheaper than anything else I guess !

twistedsanity

Reaction score
i have the exact same car and year(but mine is an elegance) and have no steering problems at all, i have recently changed the tyres as well, no difference between old and new, may be a silly question but have you checked your tyre pressures?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OK your car does have speed sensitive steering,,the effect when not working is it make it very hard to park,,this fault is well documented and your dealer or repair man can find all of the info in WIS

OP
I

isaac1610

Reaction score
Thanks televison much appreciated, how were you able to ascertain it had Speed sensitive steering ?? And what does WIS stand for ??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks televison much appreciated, how were you able to ascertain it had Speed sensitive steering ?? And what does WIS stand for ??

Wis is the workshop info for MB and I stumbled over this one and the power steering.

I am printing off the paper to send to you

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The paper has been sent,,do not tell MB where you got it from,,thank you

OP
I

isaac1610

Reaction score
No problem

Thanks a lot for your help I'll let you know the results of my approach to them as soon as I can !

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom