Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
Good luck with that

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Hmmm. Seriously, I would delete everything you´ve written after the third paragraph which ends " I have covered 8000 miles with the misfire occurring so this just proves that the car is still fully functioning despite the misfire." All good up until then.

And then just put 750 but open to sensible offers. Why any buyer would need or hear a ridiculous comparison to other Mercedes cars you´ve also scrapped and a history of their pricing is beyond me.

Also why stipulate what type of buyer you need. Perhaps someone inexperienced wants to buy it and spend some money on it or perhaps someone wants to do some big euro road trip with mates and doesn´t care about the heater, misfire or dent?

Also if you have any previous pictures taken before it was snowing they might prove to be a little more useful.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Hmmm. Seriously, I would delete everything you´ve written after the third paragraph which ends " I have covered 8000 miles with the misfire occurring so this just proves that the car is still fully functioning despite the misfire." All good up until then.

And then just put 750 but open to sensible offers. Why any buyer would need or hear a ridiculous comparison to other Mercedes cars you´ve also scrapped and a history of their pricing is beyond me.

Also why stipulate what type of buyer you need. Perhaps someone inexperienced wants to buy it and spend some money on it or perhaps someone wants to do some big euro road trip with mates and doesn´t care about the heater, misfire or dent?

Also if you have any previous pictures taken before it was snowing they might prove to be a little more useful.

Oh no. What have I done wrong now? I was trying to be as in depth, thorough and open and honest as I can and I am being slated again.

Last edited:
OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned

OK I agree with you with regards to the pictures they are not ideal!

With regards to the comparison to other MB I have sold... I wrote this to stipulate that I expect serious offers because other MB that I have owned went for more then what I am now being offered despite these cars being MOT failures and non-runners, both of which my current vehicle isn't!

And I only recommended that a enthusiast should consider this car as inexperienced wallies like me have tried to fix these issues and have lost thousands of pounds so I don't want to see it happen to another tit. That's why I specified that someone with mechanical enthusiasm should consider purchasing this car.

Last edited:

Howard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
The others are worth money because they are models of which there are lots around , so parts value is good , because people want parts for them.

There are hardly any w140's around , so no one wants parts , hence they aren't worth much.

This is going round in circles , surely you just want rid of it ?

No one is going to pay top money for a base model 140 with endless things wrong with it , I'm sorry.

The only thing really going for it is that it weighs a fair bit which would be good news when you weigh it in for scrap except the price of scrap is on the floor right now lol

Last edited:
OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
The others are worth money because they are models of which there are lots around , so parts value is good , because people want parts for them.

There are hardly any w140's around , so no one wants parts , hence they aren't worth much.

This is going round in circles , surely you just want rid of it ?

No one is going to pay top money for a base model 140 with endless things wrong with it , I'm sorry.

The only thing really going for it is that it weighs a fair bit which would be good news when you weigh it in for scrap except the price of scrap us on the floor right now lol

Yes I agree this is going around in circles, I agree it is heavy that's why I was expecting more than £100 for it which is what I have been offered!!! How much should a two tonne W140 be fetching I wonder? What does one tonne equate to in scrap? £200-£300???

Last edited:

Howard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
Did you read the last part of the last sentence in my previous post ?

Edit , a little bit of googling for car scrap prices brings us a price of £110 scrap for a w140

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Did you read the last part of the last sentence in my previous post ?

Did you mean the price of scrap "is" on the floor??? LOL!!! it took me a while to notice this...

Howard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
Did you mean the price of scrap "is" on the floor??? LOL!!! it took me a while to notice this...

Yes , my ipad autocorrect slipped up , boo hoo.

I've attached a price for you based on your reg number :)

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
See what happens, thats all you can do.

Do you still have the old mercedes radio.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
See what happens, thats all you can do.

Do you still have the old mercedes radio.

Yes, albeit not in the car, however I am willing to sell it with the car. I have no practical use for it.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Yes , my ipad autocorrect slipped up , boo hoo.

I've attached a price for you based on your reg number :)

Thank you Mr Howard :grin:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, albeit not in the car, however I am willing to sell it with the car. I have no practical use for it.

If it works I will buy it.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
If it works I will buy it.

It doesn't work Malcolm. I wouldn't charge you for it if you are interested. You and others have been very helpful to me since 2011. ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It doesn't work Malcolm. I wouldn't charge you for it if you are interested. You and others have been very helpful to me since 2011. ;)

Can you post it to me so I can see if I can do anything with it. I will refund the postage.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Can you post it to me so I can see if I can do anything with it. I will refund the postage.

Of course I will. All I would ask is if you could retrieve my old CD if you could send it to me and I will refund your postage. Thank you very much.
If you could fix it I would like to know what was wrong with it!!! It just stopped working one day after my MOT last May, it was absolutely fine before that!!!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Of course I will. All I would ask is if you could retrieve my old CD if you could send it to me and I will refund your postage. Thank you very much.
If you could fix it I would like to know what was wrong with it!!! It just stopped working one day after my MOT last May, it was absolutely fine before that!!!

No problem, I have sent you a pm with my address :D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Oh no. What have I done wrong now? I was trying to be as in depth, thorough and open and honest as I can and I am being slated again.

My point is, were I in the market for such a car after reading the first three paragraphs I think it might be ok and i might be able to get a lucky/cheap fix or just ignore the problems. The seller seems honest. It´s 750 but maybe I can get it with an offer for 500?? This is a good thing and maybe I´ll pick up the phone

After reading the rest I suddenly think (incorrectly) you might be some kind of scrap dealer (scrapping 3 cars) or incapable of keeping them going or even some kind of scammer. I also am reminded of how problematic these wonderful cars can be and yet my brain has been bombarded with values of 100, 200 and other strange amounts all well down on the 750 asking price. These are bad things. confused i think it´s not sensible as im not an expert and i cant picture the reason for sale or what the seller wants and it might be a waste of time so dont make any offer.

I might not be a trader nor an expert but i buy and sell a lot of second hand things all the time, even cars. Even buying a second hand washing machine or table is often based on the feeling you get from the seller as to how easy the transaction will be and if it will be worth arranging a viewing/let alone trusting them, and that´s before working out how i might want to negotiate the price. Therefore intuition is important for many and your advert, IMO, gives less confidence after the third paragraphs, so i´d just delete it all, get people over to see it and then negotiate with them face to face. Up to paragraph 3 i think it´s actually a good honest description, but the rest reads like a sermon and as your car sounds like a punt at best this could well tip the balance?

Or just ignore my advice completely but please don't claim that im slating you for providing feedback on your ad (which i presume was your reason for posting it in the first place?)

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom