my benz w124 - like a barn find

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Heres todays photos. From closer inspection it seems to have been leaking power steering fluid slowly, which would have to be addressed asap. Exhaust looks in good shape, engine shows no visible cracks or oil leaks, coolant seems to have a healthy amount of antifreeze in.

pb240034.jpg

pb240035.jpg

pb240036.jpg

pb240038.jpg

pb240039.jpg

pb240040.jpg

pb240041.jpg

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Please note the puddle at the back is purely rainwater. The worst bit of rust is the drivers front arch shown, all other arches are immaculate.

Last edited:

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
It doesn't look too bad Paul, lets hope it will start now

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Just got to wait for the V5 to arrive, just looking for a lockset too at the moment to no avail (doors and boot).

Think the leak is from a corroded powersteering pipe.

Michael G 2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nowt yet...
For something thats been sitting for 2 years it looks great. Some of the pipes etc are rusty but most of it looks like surface rust. Give her a good drive and an MOT and she will be fine. :)

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Ive just had a bit of an idea - how easy would it be to replace the ignition barrel as its in the dash?

Im considering just getting a full lock set instead of buying the key from MB.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Ive just had a bit of an idea - how easy would it be to replace the ignition barrel as its in the dash?

Im considering just getting a full lock set instead of buying the key from MB.

You need a key for that, then it's very easy. Without a key? :shock:

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Why do i need a key? To replace the ignition barrel?

Edit, i just found the guide which states i have to turn it to position 1. Damn german efficiency.

Looks like i cant escape paying the £26. To be fair, i will just have to settle on having a different key for the boot and passengers door.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Why do i need a key? To replace the ignition barrel?

Edit, i just found the guide which states i have to turn it to position 1. Damn German efficiency.

Looks like i cant escape paying the £26. To be fair, i will just have to settle on having a different key for the boot and passengers door.

Fear not Paul, people have been known to survive the indignity and inconvenience of having 2 keys - especially if it get you a super car for much below market price!

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Ha yeah - the oldest car ive owned was an xr3i - im seriously thinking (after seeing what the ride and fuel consuption is) of replacing my daily driver with this should i get it sorted.

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Finding it hard to find some locks, most cars that are being broken seem to be estates :(

Wish i had just put the rear quarter window through, would have saved a lot of work!

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
no need,

you could have manhandled the front doors via suitable wedeges, applying force to the topmost corner edge to open a wide enough gap to insert a coat hanger wire to open the door,

no damage to car, in in 15 minutes or less

so i hear

cheers
niall

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
As a little anecdote - i found a watch in the glovebox and put it on ebay after a clean up. Cleared £89 :D.

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Bit of an update - bought myself a full lockset and got another back wheel (as the tyre on it is kaput)..

rang DVLA last week and the car is now in my name so just waiting for a V5 which should have been issued friday.

Once it arrives ill take a journey to MBZ and pick up a key for my current ignition and locks. just to get me on my way i intend to keep the ignition barrel as it is until i can get it out of the carpark.

Got a good battery here ready for an overnight charge and a set of spark plugs, shouldnt be long before i can turn it over.

as in other posts im a bit worried about the brakes being jammed on but im sure if it does fire or turn over they wont be like it for long.

just want to get it in the garden to get some work done on it and give it a wash!

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
If you get stuck with anything let us know, there are a few in the area who could possibly help

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom