my benz w124 - like a barn find

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Well today wasnt a good day - the key doesnt work in the ignition. Must have been changed in the past.

So now if i cant get the barrel out without completely breaking the entire system im stuck, and the car will be broken. Ive read posts from people who have had success in removing and replacing the barrel with no key so theres hope soon.

On a plus side with a fresh battery on the lights and indicators work, and not a bulb out!

So, my questions are:

1. what are my chances of swapping the barrel with no key to my new one? the new one is complete with the black outer cowling should that be a plus.

2. the steering lock is engaged.. now will me doing this permanently activate it? could i cut or breaking something off to remove the lock completely should i need to.

not a good week for me!

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Have a look around here, I think it's been covered before. AFAIK, the only way is to get behind the dash area and start grinding and cutting away. It won't be pretty. :(

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
I did find a guide to it, and i think it involves taking the steering lock in two, after removing the steering wheel, trims and lower cowling.

Either way its doable and as long as any damage is done under the dash then it should look ok when its back together.

Only problem is it has to be done all by battery power as the car isnt at home so i cant get a grinder to it (not that id want to inside the car tbh)

W124-300TE-1989

Reaction score
This is a great thread - what a find! Sorry to hear that the locks and keys are being such a pain... Persevere though, Paul - as has been said before, you'll have a great w124 at the end of it... :)

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
I bought a W124 Estate becuase basically I was sold on the Top Gear destruction test that suggested it was a classic.

Worst car I ever bought - looked fine bodywork wise but not mechanically and nearly everthing was faulty from seat belts that would not move to the crappy seats that are all wallowy and a trim interior that suited a gentleman in plus fours. Bits broekn off inteiror fittings. It was a diesel. The diff whined and needed to be changed,and the car was full of water under the carpets, etc, etc.

If I had not been virtually unable to walk at the time I'd have given more time to looking inside and would not have bought it.

Passed on to a Polish enthusiast. They are not all winners.

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
News? I got news for you..

Well. Managed to get the ignition barrel sorted, and charged a new battery up.

Turned the ignition on and to my delight found it is has an alarm. I had to disconnect the horn to shut the thing up!

Anyway, put a gallon of petrol in, started turning it over. After about 10-15 turns it started biting. I put full throttle on and made it worse so i realised it must be a fuel problem. After another few turns with no throttle it only ****** started!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es4TUvVhHJc

Idled well at 800-900rpm and sounded nice with no blowing exhaust or smoke. Refused, however, to react properly to the throttle. After a few small revs built up, got it to temperature and this went, leaving me with a nice smoothly running and idling W124.

Put it in gear, rocked it back and forward and the brakes became unstuck. Its maiden voyage up to the tenth floor and back down revealed a very smooth car, powersteering is better than my daily driver - although the seat is so low and cant get used to the length.

Im going to insure it for the day sometime in this week and just pop it in for an MOT - see what happens!

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Well the car is now out of the carpark and in an outside carpark. I drove it about two miles today (on private property) and after the initial rubbish petrol surge it was fine.

I did however find a lot of faults which need seeing to, and were not noticeable in the dark of the carpark.

This includes:

Mileometer not turning
Rust spots here and there on the bodywork
Boot badges, grille and grille emblem need replacing due to pitting.
Washer bottle leaking.
Exhaust blow (i think from backbox)
Radio not working.
Drivers side repeater needs securing.
Trim loose on drivers door.

Really not big things, id like to have a go and repair the rust but with the colour of the car i think it would be hard to achieve a paint match with a rattle can.

I have pictures of everything so ill post them after 7pm. Even after a quick wash it still looks manky, needs another three or four i think.

On the plus side, the electrics all work including the sunroof. Lights all work, main beam works, indicators work. No knocking, power steering works very well and it gets to temp fine. Drives and idles fine after a few minutes.

Pics in a bit.

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
As promised:

Rust around bonnet and grille that needs replacing.
100220101122.jpg

General Carpark pics - still filthy.
100220101124.jpg

100220101118.jpg

100220101116.jpg

The mystery switch - thanks to those who pointed out what it does :D
100220101127.jpg

Nice oil pressure, getting up to temp slowly.
100220101126.jpg

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Damaged door check strap mounting. Could weld i suppose.
100220101128.jpg

Rust
100220101119.jpg

Rust
100220101125.jpg

Rust
100220101121.jpg

Overview
100220101117.jpg

Overview
100220101123.jpg

I hope i can get some paint to sort the rust out to be honest.

Next step is get it home and get it in for an MOT after some precursary checks.

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Got the car out of the base today and on its way for an MOT - only to be told it was impossible to do it, even thought id booked.

So, home it went for a once-over.

Firstly i reconnected the horn, and set about tracing this alarm system. I pulled the sensors out of the back parcel shelf and heard a relay ticking away under the back seat. Lo and behold upon inspection - the worlds cheapest alarm and sensor system. Traced all the wires to the indicators and a second horn (?) and stripped everything out. I still have an ominous red light on the dash but im going to get up there and pull it tomorrow.

Cleaned the inside and out of the car, and cleaned up the badges on the back. Greased all of the door check straps as they were creaking away, removed the footwell carpets and boot carpet for a wash and hoover. Removed and binned the little carpet out of the centre console as it was stinking, and then got the radio out and reconnected loose wires in order to get sound! Radio 2, music to my ears.

Finally i pulled the washerbottle out which was leaking from a seal, and resealed with some sikaflex. Found out that the parking light had been on last week, thus the reason my battery died - not the alarm as previously thought.

Some pictures:

170220101136.jpg

170220101137.jpg

170220101138.jpg

170220101139.jpg

Fading light must make me move onto tomorrow for inspection of all brakes and pipes, suspension bushes, springs, dampers. A bulb check and electrics check next while my parts turn up for a general service - fuel filter, plugs, brake fluid, oil, and thermostat.

Then its another once-over pre MOT and see what it flags up.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Paul--Most Halfords have a paint mixing station --I find ours brill for mix/matching small amounts--you can get it in pots or even load an aerosol with it once matched.
First of course you need to root out all the rust spots --and cure them with acid --rust eater or Kurerust or the like -then fill and prime the area,s---best wait for some nice sunny weather ---if we ever are going to get any again ?

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Thanks, ive got a halfords nearby so will give them a go.

Im just trying to find a fuel filter for the car, and ebay seems to list loads for this model, hopefully ill get the right one!

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Looking good Paul and seems you've been busy. Well done

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Full investigation of the back end of the car today has revealed it needs new brake discs, pads and a drivers side shock absorber (old one leaking). All ordered up, just waiting delivery.

Front end investigation tomorrow or monday will no doubt reveal about the same, will just have to wait and see. Not sure on the condition of the exhaust though, thats the last thing on my list.

Everything else on the back looks good after a good clean up with a wirebrush today.

Saw an almost identical car on ebay not make its reserve and fail to sell at £560 too, more than worrying, asking myself if its worth it!

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
more than worrying, asking myself if its worth it!

So what you spend on it will never be anywhere near what a modern eurobox costs. The depreciation will be almost nil and the resale value should be enough to almost cover your costs

Honey Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'95 W202 C200 Elegance
if worse comes to worse.... run it into the ground. It'll probably still be ticking in the far future.

Top Cat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(97) W202 C230 Elegance Estate
The depreciation will be almost nil and the resale value should be enough to almost cover your costs

Yes, especially once you've got it mechanically sorted, a good valet, fresh MOT and got it moving again - at that point you could either sell it on and get a good price for it, or drive it and enjoy it yourself for a couple of years knowing there won't be many like it on the road.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was thinking about this car only last week, hope it went back on the road

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom