my benz w124 - like a barn find

paul_jw

Reaction score
Hello to everyone.

Im Paul from west scotland - im currently in the Submarine service.

One of my shipmates has had a W123 on a D for years, and around the end of 2007 he decided to loose the keys for it. Instead of going to Merc to get some more, he decided to leave the car in the local work underground carpark for the foreseeable future.

Upon realising it was his, i recently took the plunge and bought it from him, with no v5, key or anything except a receipt to state it was mine. Today me and a friend made a valid attemp to get into the car, and managed it. When we did we found the V5 along with service history, documentation and everything else.

The car is now being transferred to my name and upon receipt of the V5 in my name I intend on getting the key from MB and seeing if i can get it to run.

Now my predicament is this - I was never intending to keep the car unless I totally fell in love with it, and to be honest its a bit big for my 7 mile commute. So I turned my attention to money making.

Would i be better off spending the money and time required to free off the brakes, get it running and sell it as a SORN/No MOT or would I be better off stripping it for parts? I feel a little sad if i have to do that as it has been in dry storage most of the last ten years and aside from being filthy is dry, rot free and in generally good nick.

The other option would be to take it home, clean it up and MOT it but im a bit apprehensive about this as i always considered MB's to be expensive for parts.

Last MOT ran out Nov07 and was issued with no advisories.

Below is a quick photo, due to the lack of light its hard to get in. It is a 1986 2.0 in Gold.

show.php

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,, that car could clean up so well,,do not you dare break it up

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
I bet if you free the breaks off, give it a wash, a thrash down the road to the MOT station it will pass.

And Mercedes parts are not dear, I should know, I buy enough!

I wish I was nearer, I'd help you with it.

Good luck

Tony

edz649

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL600, 450 SEL
Change the oil, ATF (assuming it's auto), coolant and brake fluid before you start using it. By the way, it's a W124 not 123.

MissyD

Reaction score
Website
www.depop.com
Your Mercedes
E200 1993, E300 Coupe 2019
Hello to everyone.

Im Paul from west scotland - im currently in the Submarine service.

One of my shipmates has had a W123 on a D for years, and around the end of 2007 he decided to loose the keys for it. Instead of going to Merc to get some more, he decided to leave the car in the local work underground carpark for the foreseeable future.
Upon realising it was his, i recently took the plunge and bought it from him, with no v5, key or anything except a receipt to state it was mine. Today me and a friend made a valid attemp to get into the car, and managed it. When we did we found the V5 along with service history, documentation and everything else.

The car is now being transferred to my name and upon receipt of the V5 in my name I intend on getting the key from MB and seeing if i can get it to run.

Now my predicament is this - I was never intending to keep the car unless I totally fell in love with it, and to be honest its a bit big for my 7 mile commute. So I turned my attention to money making.

Would i be better off spending the money and time required to free off the brakes, get it running and sell it as a SORN/No MOT or would I be better off stripping it for parts? I feel a little sad if i have to do that as it has been in dry storage most of the last ten years and aside from being filthy is dry, rot free and in generally good nick.
The other option would be to take it home, clean it up and MOT it but im a bit apprehensive about this as i always considered MB's to be expensive for parts.

Last MOT ran out Nov07 and was issued with no advisories.

Below is a quick photo, due to the lack of light its hard to get in. It is a 1986 2.0 in Gold.

show.php

Hi Paul and welcome, sorry but am I being thick, you say your mate decided in 2007 to leave the car in the car park, but then say its been in storage for the last 10 years !

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Hi Paul and welcome, sorry but am I being thick, you say your mate decided in 2007 to leave the car in the car park, but then say its been in storage for the last 10 years !

Time traveling submarines ..... :D

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the replies.

I really dont intend on stripping it, due to realisiing the condition of it today. Im only a young lad - 26 - and at the moment I already have a car to take me to a from work. Suprisingly I have the backing of the mrs to have it as a spring project so it may even get a new lease of life.

The mileage is 113000 and the car, its seems, is on an age related plate as until 2006 it was on a private plate (i have all the dvla paperwork)

IT was quite strange trying to get in it - i did however break the passenger side lock doing so - but i imagine it wouldnt be too much for a rpelacement and key.

I really cant start doing anything with it until the V5 comes through, hopefully, in around 15-25 days according to DVLA.

It needs a good air, the oil looks good as does the coolant, brake fluid is a bit dark though. It has one puncture (but a good spare for replacement) and unfortunately also wont budge from its current positon. I think (think) the handbrake has been off for the time its been stood however me and a friend couldnt move it for the life of us.

I intend on taking some more photos, but it really is in very good condition under the dust.

Thanks for the W123/W124 thing - I realised my error when i was looing on google for them :D

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Time traveling submarines ..... :D

Ha sorry i meant that he has had it for about ten years, however it was laid up around july 2007.

Change the oil, ATF (assuming it's auto), coolant and brake fluid before you start using it. By the way, it's a W124 not 123.

Its a manual gearbox. Is this unusual?

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Good find there Paul, a nice winter project.

Are you up at the naval base?

edz649

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL600, 450 SEL
Well if you don't change the oil you must at least change the brake fluid, it is hydroscopic and as such, absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. It should be changed every two years as a matter of course.

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Yes up here in sunny faslane. Well at least with it being manual I dont have something run-of-the-mill.

The only problem with winter projects here in scotland is that its too cold and wet! Ive a feeling I wont be able to get a key sorted for the next few weeks - then its christmas - then its new year - so 2010 it is! Ive been quoted £25ish for the new key from MB in glasgow upon production of the V5 and a Passport/ID Card. Is this reasonable?

Would it be cheaper to source a lockset now im in the car? Still might not help as the steerling lock is on.

Could anybody point me in the right direction of how to release stuck brakes should i need to?

I popped the bonnet but only saw the air filter housing - are they carb or injection?

Sorry for the questions :#

Last edited:

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Once you get the correct keys for it you could stick a battery on and see if it will start.
If it has only been laid up for a couple of years then maybe, just maybe it will move once the engine is running, unless the clutch is stuck

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I'd have thought a replacement key would be the best way to go as it's very difficult to remove the ignition barrel without one.

I think manual boxes are rare for a reason, they are a bit agricultural. This could possibly be the real reason for your friend retiring the car. Do you need one foot or two to operate the pedal? :D

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
The battery thats on it is a bit of a beast - it looks like a hgv battery. I intend on going up and taking some more photos tomorrow and attempting a wash, and checking if the handbrakes on etc - but to be honest sensibility means i have to wait for the wash.

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
I'd have thought a replacement key would be the best way to go as it's very difficult to remove the ignition barrel without one.

I think manual boxes are rare for a reason, they are a bit agricultural. This could possibly be the real reason for your friend retiring the car. Do you need one foot or two to operate the pedal? :D

there's nothing wrong with manual gear boxes.

OP
P

paul_jw

Reaction score
Unsure.. Takes a second to load though. Ill go up and take some more today but will be a little dark.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
there's nothing wrong with manual gear boxes.

You are quite correct, of course, and the economy which can be achieved will not be equaled by a car with an automatic gearbox.

But the combination of a powerful engine and an automatic gearbox is very seductive and intoxicating when in use. Diesel + auto is a great (and economical) combination, and the more powerful petrol engines thrive on auto too.

But we can't do 60 mpg plus at 130 kph!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom