My C216 makes a Grinding noise.

CDL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C216 CL500 2012
I have an intermittent grinding style air noise coming from the air suspension pipes. The suspension pump is a little loose/has a little play. Wonder if anybody has seen this and what the cure is. New filter? New pump? etc

OP
C

CDL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C216 CL500 2012
Meant to add it’s a 2012 CL500

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I have an intermittent grinding style air noise coming from the air suspension pipes. The suspension pump is a little loose/has a little play. Wonder if anybody has seen this and what the cure is. New filter? New pump? etc
Air suspension or ABC? I don’t think the 216 had Airmatic as an option.

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
See if you cannot secure the pump. Moving parts do not like having an infirm base.

Waffle alert:
Mid Atlantic ocean I had to secure a poorly fitted marine engine - there was no way Desty's Marine had fitted it properly because the horizontal bolts on the fitting bracket interfered with the vertical bolts - impossible to tighten up. I got the bolt cutters out and cut a slot into several large washers. I then hammered the washers over the bolt (stud) and clamped the nut down to to the washers thus securing the lose side of the bracket. You might be able to find a way to secure the pump better and you might find that the noise is worse simply because the pump is moving around too much every time it does some work.

Could it just be the pump priming itself periodically?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
See if you cannot secure the pump. Moving parts do not like having an infirm base.

Waffle alert:
Mid Atlantic ocean I had to secure a poorly fitted marine engine - there was no way Desty's Marine had fitted it properly because the horizontal bolts on the fitting bracket interfered with the vertical bolts - impossible to tighten up. I got the bolt cutters out and cut a slot into several large washers. I then hammered the washers over the bolt (stud) and clamped the nut down to to the washers thus securing the lose side of the bracket. You might be able to find a way to secure the pump better and you might find that the noise is worse simply because the pump is moving around too much every time it does some work.

Could it just be the pump priming itself periodically?
No, if it’s ABC and the pump needs priming then it’s already destroyed.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
It is ABC.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok. The filter is in the black header tank (on the end of the low pressure return, not in front of the pump intake). That could rattle but shouldn’t make a grinding noise.

The pump is a tandem power steering/ suspension unit; if a grinding noise is heard however I’d be checking fluid pressure. Anything below 120bar is suspect and the system shuts down below 80bar. 180bar is healthy pressure.

OP, are you getting any white or red cluster warnings? ABC DRIVE CAREFULLY or VISIT WORKSHOP?

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Sound proofing is so good on the 216 that I don't think that engine noise would drown out the noise of vibrating pipes when sat inside the car. I believe that the ABC pipes run down the left side (as seen when sitting in the car) of the chassis.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sound proofing is so good on the 216 that I don't think that engine noise would drown out the noise of vibrating pipes when sat inside the car. I believe that the ABC pipes run down the left side (as seen when sitting in the car) of the chassis.
That page you linked does specifically mention it. The 216’s (and 215’s) NVH pack is excellent for sure but there’s a big difference in NVH modes & isolation between engine vibrations and hydraulics.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
That page you linked does specifically mention it. The 216’s (and 215’s) NVH pack is excellent for sure but there’s a big difference in NVH modes & isolation between engine vibrations and hydraulics.
Yes. I just meant that vibration transmitted through the chassis into the cabin is probably more noticeable than the engine noise, from the inside. If checking on the outside then I suspect the engine noise will easily drown out any vibration noise through the pipes.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom