My car was broken into advice on parts needed.

G-a-r-y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 320 CDi, SLK 200 R171.
Woke to find my car had been robbed, I might not have locked it so, it's my fault,although we do live in a tiny cul-de-sac of 15 houses. They took my Alpine plus Ipod, plus lots of other valuable things that shouldn't have been left in a car.
They,ve cut some wires including the aerial lead (how do I fix it) I have no aerial, I think they are in the windows? Damaged the walnut dash that houses the radio and climate. Mercedes said they can get it from Germany but it's very expensive, where else might I get this?
BTW Remember to lock ever thing.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
That’s bad luck Gary, what I would do is go to a scrap yard and get the missing piece of the aerial that plugs into the radio, probably about 12 inches and join to what is left of your existing Coaxial Cable. The reconnection must then be insulated with electrical tape.

Also get the existing radio connection wiring loom from a similar car/age as your car and reconnect to the wires the thief left behind. You still have to buy a new radio, which will connect to the repaired loom fittings.

Whatever else is damaged or missing can also be got at the scrap yard.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RG-59.jpg
http://www.computercablestore.com/1000FT_RG6_Dual_Shielded__PID62.aspx

Dec

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
So sorry to hear the bad news, yes as above the antenna lead can be spliced on to a new piece, I can send you a sample of the wire and how to splice it correctly.

Can you put up a picture of the damage to the wood

OP
G-a-r-y

G-a-r-y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have repaired the ariel lead and got the ISO plugs repaired, I have refitted thy original 10 CD unit and all is well.
I need the Bur Walnut surround that houses the SEVEN Switches/Climate/Radio.
Mercedes said it was rare to have the full row of switches.
What scrap yards could/should I try.
Thanks lads.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Try euromerc he has loads of new ones in stock.

Re the cutouts for the switches, they all have the rear side of the panels fully cut out for the switches, this only leaves you to cut out the veneer side, there is a paper on doing this

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Try euromerc he has loads of new ones in stock.

Re the cutouts for the switches, they all have the rear side of the panels fully cut out for the switches, this only leaves you to cut out the veneer side, there is a paper on doing this

I have done this on my C230K Malc and it is a lot harder to do then the worksheet gives credit even with the correct tooling, though the switch is fitted it looks a bit rough.

I agree Nic (Euromerc) may have one, but wether it will have the correct amount of switches, and then you will be in the same boat as me regarding cutting them out. My one was lucky as it is the one by the gear stick so you don,t have to look at it all the time unlike yours. In my AMG I bought a complete new panel, as I wanted a pucker job, my was only £70 (carbon fibre look) though.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

OP
G-a-r-y

G-a-r-y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They want £220 for the facia, it has to come from Germany.

OP
G-a-r-y

G-a-r-y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Who's that, do you have a number?

OP
G-a-r-y

G-a-r-y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm. I tried that site but it doesn't list a phone number??? :(

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom