My CL500 Project

OP
H

Haylands

Tempted .. is the VED £285?

Yes, nice and cheap for the size of car...

I can't see any of the pictures in this entire thread. What a shame you have to sell it. I just bought a CLK or I would almost certainly have bought it from you.

Tim

(Starts justifying to himself how it can make perfect sense to own two luxury cars!)

It's a fair bit bigger than a CLK, would make a good pair though....

PM'd .. wife's quite interested in it as a daily driver!

Pm replied to... be nice to see it used more....

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
Yes, nice and cheap for the size of car...

It's a fair bit bigger than a CLK, would make a good pair though....

Pm replied to... be nice to see it used more....

I was very impressed by your diligence and the end result. And what a shame that you can no longer drive it.

I think your attitude is admirable in letting it go for such a reasonable price, especially as its history with you is so well documented. I wish you every success in selling it and very much hope your health improves.

And, of course, all the best to the new owner. The b@st@rd!!!!

RayH

OP
H

Haylands

This is still available if anyone is interested, had a few phone calls but everyone lived so far away...!!!

OP
H

Haylands

Now SOLD and on it's way to a new life in Newcastle, I'm down to one car now and it's a L322 Range Rover....!!!! better check my breakdown cover.....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All that work and its sold, what can one say other than the new owner should have a good car there.

rigpig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 430 AMG
Was seriously tempted by this, I have a hankering for a CL and have been looking at what's available.

I nearly asked to come for a look as I'm from Hull and go back fairly regularly, In fact I lived for a while on Corby Park which can't be that far away from you :)

Tim

wheelie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 Sport
Well it's the first time i've seen this thread and have just sat and read through every page. I must admit I wish I was more mechanically minded and as skilled as the financial savings must have been fantastic given what it would have cost having the work done by dealer or even indie.

It's an excellent account of how things should be done and how a car can be looked after and run on a more modest budget. It's all very well buying a car that probably cost £70k new at some point for a song but it still has the potential to have £70k running and servicing/repair costs.

Real shame that it had to go but I seriously hope that the new owner lavishes as much care and attention as you obviously did. It would be great if the new owner was on this forum and commented on how it's doing from time to time.

Thanks very much for the write-up and commentary, it is one of the best forum threads I've read anywhere.

Pete

nipros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 CL500
Haylands

I red your posting with much interest as I am undertaking the same modification to the same year car, although I have retained the wood look .

I'm interested to know if you were able to retain the info/settings screen in the instrument cluster. I've red were one or two others have done this conversion but so far (other than yourself) I cant seem to find any info for the pre 2004 cars re the COMAND unit removal.

I'm also interested to know if you had any issues with the amp connection to the new head unit as there are some suggestions you need a Fibre Optic conversion to connect to the amp.

Hope you can help.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the original comand is optic coupled, the complete cover has to be removed to take the comand out. What are you wanting to do.

nipros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 CL500
Television

I have bought another console and have now mounted an Alpine iXA-W404R head unit.
My intention is to remove the old COMAND unit and replace it with the Alpine.

Id like to retain the steering wheels buttons and also the settings screen on this instrument cluster, but as I've only been able to see this discussed on post 2004 cars which use a slightly different system as I understand it I'm interested to know what I can do and how I can do it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cannot see any other units working with the steering controls, I could be wrong though

Maybe member Miffy knows he he has same system and year of car.

nipros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 CL500
Heylands seems to have said that he managed to hook up some of the steering wheel buttons so I wondered how he did that but he doesn't mention the settings screen, so Im not sure about that one at all.

OP
H

Haylands

The left hand side steering wheel buttons are untouched and still do whatever they did before... the only loss is the volume buttons, and the phone...

Display under speedo still works apart from the bits that you take out...

It's not fiber optic, it's hard wired, you can get an iso to Merc plug off ebay...

There are several places offering generic to Merc can bus boxes but they are a few quid....

How are you going to keep the wood, you will have to cut out some and fill other bits in???

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The steering wheel buttons work on the Robert Bosch CAN so maybe it is possible with the right adaptor

nipros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 CL500
Thanks for the advice, Ill give it a try.

I have attached a pic (I think) of where I'm up to, easer to see than explain.

Attachments

• 1962614_968934283133800_2496820242298468177_n.jpg
    1962614_968934283133800_2496820242298468177_n.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 118

Rocco

Reaction score
Wow! Just came across your thread :D iam also in Hull and iam slowly doing my old w124 up, do you have a contact number for the paint shop please mate? I have a silver w124 with zender/amg bodykit, maybe you have seen it around hull..

Thanks
Russ

OP
H

Haylands

Wow! Just came across your thread :D iam also in Hull and iam slowly doing my old w124 up, do you have a contact number for the paint shop please mate? I have a silver w124 with zender/amg bodykit, maybe you have seen it around hull..

Thanks
Russ

Body Style
Malton Street (bottom of Witham)
HU9 1BA

01482 328806 ask for Mike

shrimo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLS 500, AMG kit, black ash dash
just come accross this thread, and read it top to bottom. its brilliantly written and filled with loads of info and ideas not just for a cl. its a real shame you had to sell, my hat is off to you for the effort you put in though.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Hats off to you Pete,

what a thread, I have sat and read through entire thread and you really did put your hard graft into this car which has gone to a new home now.

Hope your back is better now!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom