My first Merc..

Stumpi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Company Avensis, BM 3 series tourer, and a nasty little Renault Extra for my bikes.
Hi all,

As I need a large vehicle (two kids, a dog and lots of hobbies) I've decided to sell my little van and the mrs 3 series tourer and put the money to an E300D Estate.

Now, I've never owned a Merc before, so am quite excited at the prospect of owning one, but of course, not knowing anything about them is also a bit of a concern.

So,

I'm going to be spending up to about £3500 (I know it's not much but please bear with me) and obviously want the best I can get for the money, I also know that I need to try and find the newer 99 or later CDI with the indicators in the door mirrors. I know mileage isn't too much of an issue as these cars are extremely well put together and that they also run cam chains as opposed to belts that need lots of changing.

Other than that I'm pretty green when it comes to these cars and would very much like so advice as to what to look out for, beware of, or search out..

Thanks in advance for any tips and pointers.

Regards

Dave

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Anyone help?

slugman42

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 e230
I was a "newbie " when it came to Mercs & must say I found them a bit confusing to say the least ( driving only Jap,UK,&US based cars ) previously .
After doing an 11 hour & 2hour run in my sons 97 E230 I am seriously considering getting one myself !
The guys on this forum are the best & Its like having a MB encyclopedia at your fingertips ( If you have a problem they will help ,or guide you to the post with your problem )
The main issue seems to be has the previous owner had it serviced regularly & correctly,
if the answer is yes ...go for it ( If you have a friend who knows about cars ....take him with you ! )
A MB will do 3x the miles of other car if looked after.
Although rust seem to be a problem with certain years in the UK ( check the threads )
so good luck & enjoy

Last edited:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Hi Dave,

Don't rule out the older 300TD as opposed to the newer CDi car. The older engine is extremely strong, and reliable and easily converted to veg oil (if thats your thing).

For £3500 you may also find that a petrol engine may not be a bad idea dependent on your milliage.

OP
S

Stumpi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Company Avensis, BM 3 series tourer, and a nasty little Renault Extra for my bikes.
Thanks guys,

My preferrence is a diesel as there will almost certainly be mountainbike trips to Wales and kiteboarding trips around the country with it, maybe even with the caravan in tow so economy and the low down grunt of the td or cdi are much preferred.

I have to say I know my way round a car and have a good adea of what to look for when buying, but not knowing the brand just wondered if there were any specifics I need to look out for / avoid??

Thanks for the responses so far.

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As you are looking for a 210 model,, it does need to be examined for any rust, though some do rust there are some very good ones out there, and best examined by someone like a good indie who knows the weaknesses. You could go diesel C class with some good cars around in that class

OP
S

Stumpi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks M,

Want to go for the "E" as the 7 seat option appeals, plus the sheer size of it will allow, kitesurf gear, dog kids wife etc etc etc..

Basically I'd like a van but the wife wont drive one lol.

Dave

silverhorse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300E/1998/3000diesel
I have a 1998 E300TD with 150000 on the clock and it never misses a beat. This model is bombproof but try and find a rustproof one with leather if you can. I am loathe to upgrade as the years from 99 to around 2005 can sometimes be troublesome electrically especially with the gearbox and so i will run my trusty old steed a little longer. It also has the advantage of the lower road tax band.

OP
S

Stumpi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mmm, thanks SH,

Seems like the pre 99 are worth a look, and there are certainly some nice ones about.

Thanks for that.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Can someone explain what to look out for with the Valeo radiator issue? As I understand it (not much) it affected some E class up to September 2003 production. Was it estates as well?

omereh73

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am also looking to get my first Merc. I have achoice of W126 300SEL automatic 1987 driven one hand 147,000 Kms. Other choice is W210 E240 Classic manual 2001 driven 65,000Km and thirdly a W210 E230 2001 Avantgarde automatic driven 90,000km.
I am interested in buying a W210. What will be a best buy for me in mileage and driving comfort?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can someone explain what to look out for with the Valeo radiator issue? As I understand it (not much) it affected some E class up to September 2003 production. Was it estates as well?

It made no difference saloon or estate. Cars with the Behr rad are labeled on the rad, for cars without you have to look at the crimping to see if it is a troublesome one or not.

Its much easier to see on a 211

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=716.649&CT=F&cat=64U&SID=50&SGR=600&SGN=07

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=716.649&CT=F&cat=64U&SID=50&SGR=015&SGN=01

Maybe I should try and put up a picture of the problem, but it is very poor quality

OP
S

Stumpi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, I think after considering a couple of vehicles I'm going to plump for the earlier model, ie not the CDI. I beleive this was run up until late 99?

So that known, what are the tell tales?

What are the must haves? do they all come with climate? 300, 320? much difference?

Thanks again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are easier to maintain,,just check on any rust issues on the body Air con is a must and not on all cars , memory seat etc are nice,but its what you want that counts

OP
S

Stumpi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds good, thanks.

After a bit of trawling, I'm guessing the rear arches and around the headlights are my major watch areas, and others?

Are they structurally ok, no need to be getting under it looking at dodgy chssis joints/junctions etc?

Thanks again.

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The spring cups top at the front need checking.

Top and bottom of doors behind the rubbers,, around the edges of the boot / tail gate

OP
S

Stumpi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
great thanks again,

I'll update when I get one.

In the meantime, if anyone has any more tips theyd be gratefully received.

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
great thanks again,

I'll update when I get one.

In the meantime, if anyone has any more tips theyd be gratefully received.

Dave

You should do a search as we went all through a 210 yeaterday

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom