My friend want to know how to avoid the range of faulty V8 and V6 engines

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Hi
My friend was so impressed with my new CL500, he wants one. But would like to buy an earlier one for budget reasons.
He said he had heard that a large bunch of V8 M273 and V6 M272 engines had defects with the "Balance Shaft and camshaft idler pulley????".
Apparently he said MB lost a class action in the USA.

I wouldn't have believed it, except when I had this great MB technicitian look over my car, he took a few minutes to come out and apologied, but said he needed to do some research on my car (exact production date and the engine number) - as some of the earlier M273 engines had "timing gear problems that were resolved in the later variants" or something like that.
He said, fortunately your engine is one of the later ones, and has the good components, so you have a bullet proof engine! - yeah they can be a bit more chattery than you SL500 but thats normal"

Given the all clear I paid no further attention, now I wish I had, a) to help my friend and b) if I upgrade the wifes car I might go for a V6 and they had bigger problems.

So the question is :-
Is this rumour true?

He believes to miss the balance shaft issue and the timing gear issue
The engine numbers have to be after:-

You are fine if your number is higher than:

M272 Engine Serial No. 2729..30 468993. Bad magnets Camshaft sensors up to 30-759427for the M272
M273 Engine Serial No. 2739..30 088611 Bad magnets Camshaft sensors up to 30-193592 for the M273.
( I have no idea where he got this info ... somewhere on the net or if it is accurate?? )

On my replacement data card info, supplied by Mercedes CS, it lists an "engine number" And an "engine object number".
They are slightly different.
I assume its the engine number that counts in determining the problem - this is the one like 273 961 30 xxx xxx. The engine object number misses out the 961 part and the remainder is different .

I know mine is OK on both counts, I just need to know for my friend. Plus for my wifes future car.

I hear these 2 issues (not the cam magnet part) are serious engine out jobs?

Also if one found this problem, on a car up to 10 years old, say sub 60,000 miles would Mercedes help you financially?

If the above issue is the case, am I correct, that to avoid these problem engines - you would have to have a vin decoder get you the engine no, or get it off the V5 or data card?
Seems unbeleivable one would have to go to this trouble, but I guess repairing this is very expensive, and he says you even need to change the oil pump as this can be compromised.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The 273 is clear from early 2007 in the UK, but the 272 could be suspect and needs the serial number checking.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
For the SL R230 there were 3 272 V6 engines.......

272.949 2008-2011
272.966 2006-2008
272.968 2008-2011

There was only 1 273 V8 engine.....

273.965 2006-2011

I got that info from a R230 reference book.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
The 273 is clear from early 2007 in the UK, but the 272 could be suspect and needs the serial number checking.

Thanks Malcolm
He has a budget of about £14K so initially he thought of an 06 or early 07.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought he was highly unlikely to get an 07 CL500 for £14K ... but then I am new to the game..... and still thinking how lucky I was you guys put me off that one with the cracked rear screen.

But he is realistic and say he'd rather pay more and not have to go through the balance shaft / timing gear trauma.

Do you think the serial numbers he found are correct?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes that info is correct, one must not confuse our year with the USA, over here as I said the 273 is clear from 2007, but the 272 is not until about mid 2007.

CL prices have not changed much in years, well 4 years to be truthful, I paid £24k for my 2007 with 39k miles 4½ years ago, it is still one of the best out there and worth £18k as still low mileage and it has everything possible except a rear camera.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Yes that info is correct, one must not confuse our year with the USA, over here as I said the 273 is clear from 2007, but the 272 is not until about mid 2007.

CL prices have not changed much in years, well 4 years to be truthful, I paid £24k for my 2007 with 39k miles 4½ years ago, it is still one of the best out there and worth £18k as still low mileage and it has everything possible except a rear camera.

Thats what I thought, yours today would be like a mid 2011.
Hmmm I think you might have to pay a bit more than £24K.

I can see the £18K as its obviously immacualte.

I still have to do the ABC and Gearbox oil, and brake fluid, tracking and one strut , indicator lights + wheels + battery.
£180 + £180 + £70 + £120 + £1100 + £31 + £220 + £149 = £2,050 to get it perfect.
After the refund for the strut and wrong tires.
Its still all worth while.
And she now has Mobilo breakdown coverage.

And she drives very nicely :):):)
Pushed it a little today, that 7G Plus box in S really puts this car on steroids. And goes pretty dam quickly for a pretty big old lump.

As for the rear camera, it has it but ... hmm do I trust it? That will take some getting used to. :-/

The one thing I would have liked is Distronic.... oh well just have to keep awake

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I maý replace it at some point in time, but even to me it seems daft as it drives like new. The 2011 model is quicker and more economical, and a few extra driving aids plus the ABC is decoupled from the S/W mode.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I maý replace it at some point in time, but even to me it seems daft as it drives like new. The 2011 model is quicker and more economical, and a few extra driving aids plus the ABC is decoupled from the S/W mode.

Yes I would struggle to see the justification of the cash to go to a 2011, unless it was for the magical 6.2L V8 :)

I have to confess I do childishly like the deep growl of the AMGs.

I did see a thread were a guy virtually revamped a C215, and it looked like he replaced the exhaust with straight stainless steel pipe. Not sure how he will get it through the MOT :)
And I am not sure if these engines rely on back pressure, or whether their ability to self tune (re low grade petrol ) sorts all that out.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
No engine relies on back pressure. "Back pressure" is an undesirable feature as it reduces power and increases consumption.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Yes I would struggle to see the justification of the cash to go to a 2011, unless it was for the magical 6.2L V8 :)

I have to confess I do childishly like the deep growl of the AMGs.

I did see a thread were a guy virtually revamped a C215, and it looked like he replaced the exhaust with straight stainless steel pipe. Not sure how he will get it through the MOT :)
And I am not sure if these engines rely on back pressure, or whether their ability to self tune (re low grade petrol ) sorts all that out.

Being childish is a mandatory prerequisite for buying an AMG :D:D

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Hi
My friend was so impressed with my new CL500, he wants one. But would like to buy an earlier one for budget reasons.
He said he had heard that a large bunch of V8 M273 and V6 M272 engines had defects with the "Balance Shaft and camshaft idler pulley????".
Apparently he said MB lost a class action in the USA.

I wouldn't have believed it, except when I had this great MB technicitian look over my car, he took a few minutes to come out and apologied, but said he needed to do some research on my car (exact production date and the engine number) - as some of the earlier M273 engines had "timing gear problems that were resolved in the later variants" or something like that.
He said, fortunately your engine is one of the later ones, and has the good components, so you have a bullet proof engine! - yeah they can be a bit more chattery than you SL500 but thats normal"

Given the all clear I paid no further attention, now I wish I had, a) to help my friend and b) if I upgrade the wifes car I might go for a V6 and they had bigger problems.

So the question is :-
Is this rumour true?

He believes to miss the balance shaft issue and the timing gear issue
The engine numbers have to be after:-

You are fine if your number is higher than:

M272 Engine Serial No. 2729..30 468993. Bad magnets Camshaft sensors up to 30-759427for the M272
M273 Engine Serial No. 2739..30 088611 Bad magnets Camshaft sensors up to 30-193592 for the M273.
( I have no idea where he got this info ... somewhere on the net or if it is accurate?? )

On my replacement data card info, supplied by Mercedes CS, it lists an "engine number" And an "engine object number".
They are slightly different.
I assume its the engine number that counts in determining the problem - this is the one like 273 961 30 xxx xxx. The engine object number misses out the 961 part and the remainder is different .

I know mine is OK on both counts, I just need to know for my friend. Plus for my wifes future car.

I hear these 2 issues (not the cam magnet part) are serious engine out jobs?

Also if one found this problem, on a car up to 10 years old, say sub 60,000 miles would Mercedes help you financially?

If the above issue is the case, am I correct, that to avoid these problem engines - you would have to have a vin decoder get you the engine no, or get it off the V5 or data card?
Seems unbeleivable one would have to go to this trouble, but I guess repairing this is very expensive, and he says you even need to change the oil pump as this can be compromised.

buy the V12 prob solved !!!!!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
No engine relies on back pressure. "Back pressure" is an undesirable feature as it reduces power and increases consumption.

does not a 2 stroke with expansion chambers depend on back pressure to return the unburnt gas back into the cylinder just before the piston covers the exhaust port while going back up on the compression stroke ??????

Last edited:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That problem maybe, but then your real money pit opens .... no thanks.
Now if one was speaking about the 6.2L V8 AMG CL63 ... definitely :)

not looking forward to plug change and hope coil packs last , but engine ,with standard maintainance should be fairly bullet proof. i never allow the oil to get dirty so i think i have that covered . think a lot of V8 guys spending more than me at the moment, still under 40,000 miles .

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
not looking forward to plug change and hope coil packs last , but engine ,with standard maintainance should be fairly bullet proof. i never allow the oil to get dirty so i think i have that covered . think a lot of V8 guys spending more than me at the moment, still under 40,000 miles .

I'm a big fan of changing oil at 5,000 miles. And using Mobil1 0W40. Mine is always like clear honey at 5,000 miles ...being at 40,000 your just run in and a bit of bedding down.

Its the cost of peripheral items on the V12, that seem expensive, and I assume they are difficult to work on due to the lack of space :-/

As you said coil packs, and 24 plugs!

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I have only ever seen one 273 with a balance shaft fault, but have done loads of 272s. In fact, I have one here in bits at the moment.

I would avoid anything from 2005- mid 2006, if you cannot have it proven its had the modified shaft fitted.

RE the AMG engine and growl, I have to say, I love them. Absolutely love them. I have had the privilege to own a few and I still drive my C32 as my daily driver at the moment (although that is about to change :( ) and the urge to boot the loud pedal is always there. I still think the SL55AMG is one of the best.

Last edited:
OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I have only ever seen one 273 with a balance shaft fault, but have done loads of 272s. In fact, I have one here in bits at the moment.

I would avoid anything from 2005- mid 2006, if you cannot have it proven its had the modified shaft fitted.

RE the AMG engine and growl, I have to say, I love them. Absolutely love them. I have had the privilege to own a few and I still drive my C32 as my daily driver at the moment (although that is about to change :( ) and the urge to boot the loud pedal is always there. I still think the SL55AMG is one of the best.

Yes Steve that good mechanic, I trust said the balance shaft was a problem for the M272, but the early M273 had issues on the "idler gear pulley" (or something sounding like that. He too said he'd not had a balance shaft issue on a M273.
I think he said some of the 06 and 56 plated M273s were the problem area, but sadly I didnt pay too much attention when he said mine an 09 was well clear of the problem.
I think he said it was a problem in the hardening process of one supplier. But I may have misunderstood him.

Totally agree the SL55 sounds lovely. So tempted, as having the same pot size, one could make mine sound a little more brutal. :):)
But I am scared of the drone effect.
Sadly not many suppliers in the UK have dipped into the J Pipe solution.
Really clever scientific way of killing drone completely, based on the self cancelling frequency concept of the Helmholz resonator theory. And being just a capped off aditional pipe ... it should be cheap.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom