My God! Do I have Martens?

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
Browsing the Russian parts site today looking for some bits, and came across "protection from Martens?"

What the hell are Martens?

Do I have protection?

Should I be worried?

Tony

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Browsing the Russian parts site today looking for some bits, and came across "protection from Martens?"

What the hell are Martens?

Do I have protection?

Should I be worried?

Tony

I've got the little buggers in my roof, and they sh*t everywhere - where's this protection stuff?

tromppost

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s320
got this from Wikipedia, but I am sure it's not these ones!!

Martens are slender, agile animals, adapted to living in taigas, and are found in coniferous and northern deciduous forests across the northern hemisphere. They have bushy tails, and large paws with partially retractible claws. The fur varies from yellowish to dark brown, depending on the species, and, in many cases, is valued by fur trappers.

Martens are solitary animals, meeting only to breed in late spring or early summer. Litters of up to five blind and near-naked kits are born in early Spring. They are weaned after around two months, and leave the mother to fend for themselves at about three to four months of age.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Are they related to Pine Martens? We do have them here, I saw one on Autumnwatch last week. Very pretty they are too with big bushy tails :D

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
They are these martens - item 4 but I'm still worried sick!

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb1.as....218++++++++++++++717.413&CT=F&Cat=15U&SID=52

Actually it says MARTEN - is (s)he coming to get me?

Well, there's a thing - perhaps it really does means it keeps Martens out.

They can be destructive little devils, eating wiring and any soft rubberised materials, and they like warm dark areas. I guess in certain parts of Europe they could be a genuine car problem, but I shouldn't worry too much, they're not very common over here.

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
Ithink it meant to read martians ive got loads of the little and not so little b######ds living in my garage

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
We had an urban fox get under the g/f's Fiesta one night recently and it chewed through the fan, CPS and O2 sensor leads to the point where the car wouldn't start.:twisted::mad:

My SLK was parked next to the Festa but wasn't affected, maybe because it has the 'marten protection panel' fitted and so the fox couldn't get to any of the wiring. :):)

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Last edited:
O

oldmovieguy

If you have Martens I should go and see a Doctor, or Doc, if you prefer.

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
Reading Lyn's post bout Pine martens reminded me bout a Joke we pulled on Marie bout 7 years ago ...............

We ALWAYS HAD A "REAL" Christmas Tree .........Hated the damn things!!!! so My son & I came up with "Christmas Trees are infested with "PINE LICE" ............

Jees I aint never seem a tree stripped of it decs so fast !!!!!!!!!!

We've had "artificial" ones since then ......... & Marie STILL believes that "PINE LICE" actually exist!!!!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You are all missing the point,,its full tittle is "marten protection system" so you are all safe :D:D

OP
The Crooner

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
Where's Malcolm?

We need a technical evaluation of this and the work instructions emailing!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The full description of the marten system is

This system operates in the same way as an electric fence.

There is an electrode placed under the bonnet with a few thousand volts on it, and this prevent most marten most effectively from entering the engine compartment,,if the marten touches the electrode, he or she will not be injured and just scared off.

Persons with a weak heart or pace maker should not play with these things.

Last edited:

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
All joking aside, those blighters can cause serious damage to a car. They got into the engine compartment of my sister's Beetle and caused a thousand € worth. :shock:
Apparently an easy deterrent is to put a wire mesh frame underneath the engine, unless of course it came with factory fitted protection. :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom