My new C220cdi sport estate

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
So, yesterday was the day I dropped off the shed and collected the skip.

Jay was a pleasure to do business with, easy transaction and as agreed fitted park assist and the window tints. He's got some cracking stock in there, if members are keen on a new motor, he's got stacks of nice stuff.

The car was presented and prepared properly (i.e no cheap overspray), clean as if it were new inside and no nasty chemicals used to valet the car.

From Nuneaton, I drove over to Nottinham to see corned for the day, as Tim Kemp and Dieselman joined us for dinner at the Lyme Tandoori.

Here is my car

DSC_0343 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

DSC_0348 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Lovely non leather seats

DSC_0350 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Keith kindly directed a small tour into Derbyshire, and seemed to like the car. There was a lose clip in the fuse box, but he managed to unearth that, put together, and charged up my iPhone as my car charger for its duff....

This is a car that will be used for touring

DSC_0351 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

DSC_0351 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Best start it off on that.

I forgot the name of this place, but it was a tower on a hill

DSC_0353 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

All I will say is its just of these cars you look back at, grin, take a picture of it when you leave it. Its ace.

DSC_0355 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Again, lack of name memory but we happened accross time warp borough.

DSC_0356 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

People in period dress, period music, and a period engine, a supercharged V12. I drive a peashooter in comparison, but I need not defend the realm in it.

Its good to see people commemorating their heritage and the yesteryear of the country, its made Britain what it is today IMHO.

DSC_0358 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

Old transport vs new

DSC_0360 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

I'll take the merc.

Right, so I have driven it a fair bit, so whats it like

Ride and handling

I always thought even in sport set up before I lowered my 211 it was still a tad soft. This ain't soft, this is a genuine sporting set up. I like it, but its really not for everyone. I've got 17s and its still supple, but on 18s it would be too much for me.

Steering, top drawer, nice feedback and thin rim.

Body control, its as good as that E90 3er I drove in January. Its grippy, fun and agile. Its a fun perky and lively car.

Straightline stability is particularly noteworthy, it needs less correction etc on a motorway, tracks true and straight.

Interior

The 204 pre facelift gets a lot of critism for dour plastics. Its not quite as nice as my old 211 cabin material wise, or as nice as my old mans S class, but some prespective is needed here, its still nice.

The buttons, stalks are well laid out, well damped, the dials are paricularly classy and easy to read.

Driving position: a biggie for me with a back problem. Its not offset like the 211 and the seat goes low, supports all my legs to near the knee, wheel reaches out and legs can be nice and stretched out. Its good.

Seats: big enough for me, and nicer material, no sliding about in the seats even when chucking the car about. Top drawer.

Stereo: nice and bassy and easy to use, Mercedes do really have this cabin aergonomics thing licked.

Rattles: none.

Door mirrors with a mention, nice and big, make driving on the motorway a doddle.

Drive train

5g IMHO is better than 7g. No flaring shifts and it responds quicker to kickdown and paddleshift use. Only area 7g is better is high speeds where the taller gear and longer final drives make the car quieter and more economical....

But there is a flip side. For a 2.2 diesel auto this thing really shifts. The gearing is not that tall, and put it this way, even in 5th gear on the motorway, this car makes its own gaps if you know what I mean and can accelerate into other ones.

Engine is free reving for a diesel and a willing performer, it isn't as fast as my E320cdi, but its still a nippy thing and it took me by surprise how punchy it was.

Jay changed the ATF etc but I suspect with only 33k on her, she needs more time to bed in.

Economy is ok but not spectacular. That said, its quite a high average speed, wait until its on a tour, it will do better.

DSC_0361 by stephentaylor4@hotmail.com, on Flickr

So you can tell I like the car. Its wonderful. A big thanks to Keith for having us over and organising the meal, and to John and his wife Liz for having me round for the drive down.

eihtur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180k 3door
Oh...I've gone weak at the knees.:)

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Brilliant review,

So you gave up on your 211...Wish you all the best with this

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Oh...I've gone weak at the knees.:)

Its lovely C ;)

Comfortable, spacious, nice to drive, well laid out. Brilliant car.

Brilliant review,

So you gave up on your 211...Wish you all the best with this

Yep, that thing was great when I had it working but was proving hassle and troublesome and impractical with camping gear etc.

Cheers, I'm loving this, its a fun and practical bundle of joy.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Very pleased for you Steve, it does look nice and fit you on many points, we will no doubt here more later :D:D

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
Really nice car Steve!! I wish you the best of luck with her, everyone here knows you deserve a break with car matters! My next car will bea hatchback or estate of some description!

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Great looking car and well analysed review. Well done Steve.
thumbs_up_smiley.gif

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Really nice car Steve!! I wish you the best of luck with her, everyone here knows you deserve a break with car matters! My next car will bea hatchback or estate of some description!

The attraction to this car was the engine and box, and its as late as you go before you are into the blue effiency models with DPFs, back facing timing gear etc.

That means its the old and trusty tried and tested motor. I expect this car to be hassle free and give bundles of entertainment.

I love it!!!

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
'Twas a pleasure having you over mate. Thanks for bringing your new motor over!

I was very impressed with the car. Firm - yes, but very well damped, so the ride was of excellent quality. Better than my S211 (Avantgarde).

The engine bay fusebox lid was loose, and it was obvious that there should have been an over-centre clip on it to hold it in place. I did a little digging and found it under the master cylinder! Now the fusebox should be water-tight. Always a good idea!

Overall impression of the car is very favourable. Even if it is in Ubiquitite Silver. :rolleyes: LOL!

I think it and Steve are very well suited. :cool:

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
I should have added that, for the record, the tower is the monument to the Sherwood Foresters Regiment at Crich, and the Crich Tramway Museum. Oh and the Spitfire, I believe, is real.

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
I should have added that, for the record, the tower is the monument to the Sherwood Foresters Regiment at Crich, and the Crich Tramway Museum. Oh and the Spitfire, I believe, is real.

I completely forgot the names :(

But a top mini tour mate, and a great part of the world that bit from what I saw.

thebandit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 (W169, 2011)
All the best with your new car and plenty of trouble free motoring!

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
I can remember looking at the site where you bought the car (forget what it's called now) and thinking he has some really nice stock! He seems to know what he is doing and your car looks to be turned out superbly Steve!
Surely this is a good thing, a family run independent buisness can turn out cars better than MB dealer! You will just go back to him and avoid the rip off charges :)

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
Very nice car Steve, despite me still worrying if its going to break at some point, my 204 C-class has been top notch so far in reliability, and its always a pleasure to drive, with your 220 CDI, Im sure its even better!

Congratulations and wish many years of happy motoring to you!

One thing my brother-in-law did in my C180, whilst on the motorway, and he looked around to see if safe (hardly any cars on the motorway at the time, 3am :D ), he dropped it from 5th gear, to 3rd gear, waited for the right moment or the right revs, and then put his foot completely down, the car took off like never before!

ZEE

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Looks like a cracking buy Steve, I know silver is ubiquitous but there is something about MB and silver that marries well. You will be bitten by the estate thing and the practicality of it, I am, and won't consider anything else.

I really like the look of the car in sport guise and the seats look really supportive for enthusiastic driving. The pdf situation in current models is a put off to me so well done on your choice of pre EU5 motor.

Hope you have many happy troublefree miles ;)

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
The seats are a hightlight, supportive and comfortable. I really chucked her about on the A66 and the roundabouts and the seats did a good job of keeping me in.

Not being leather helps, you are held in place.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom