My R230 SL

fozzymandeus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL350
Hi All,

I was reading a thread about moneypit cars on another forum today and the R230 came in for some stick.

I felt sad at this. I think mine is a terrific vehicle and although it's shed value very quickly over the time I've owned it and it probably carries zero prestige I love tooling about in it.

As a result, upon reading said forum thread I went out, washed the car, dried it off and had a half-hour cruise about with the top down.

What a lovely experience and a way to cheer myself after a very hard day at work.

I think my SL is terrific and I just wanted to share. Here's hoping it all keeps on going like this and that the next 30,000 miles are as much of a pleasure as the last 30,000!

john-f

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004. CL500 2004.
I liked your post. This forum has too many negative contributors who seem to want to bleat about most things or, sadly, get angry whenever possible. It is very refreshing to read the words of a contented and happy Merc owner.

I love my SL too. I think it has aged very well and even looks better than the latest version and certainly infinitely better than the face lift model with the strange front end and lights. In short, it is a very classy and useable vehicle.

john-f

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004. CL500 2004.
I liked your post. This forum has too many negative contributors who seem to want to bleat about most things or, sadly, get angry whenever possible. It is very refreshing to read the words of a contented and happy Merc owner.

I love my SL too. I think it has aged very well and even looks better than the latest version and certainly infinitely better than the face lift model with the strange front end and lights. In short, it is a very classy and useable vehicle.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I loved my SL, an all time great if ever there was one:D:D

Aitch55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
Well mine carries plenty of prestige for me and others from the responses.

I collected mine after a week at a paint shop in MK where it had arches de-rusted, door digs removed, poorly sprayed bonnet re-sprayed and front bumper cracks and stone chips repaired.

Today it's had a going over with polish and wax by a valeting/ detailing friend and it looks gorgeous. I just like looking at it. I did before the work and now, even more so.

ajp558

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230/2006/350
With regard to "zero prestige", can agree with the others - the R230 looks fabulous, better than the new one with the squarer headlights in my opinion. I have had more comments and admiration from people at work than when I got a Porsche Boxster, and that stood out as it was bright red. With the flared arches, "muscular haunches" at the back it also looks quite mean and powerful as well as beautiful.

I too like to just stand in the garage and admire it at times...

Last edited:

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
With regard to "zero prestige", can agree with the others - the R230 looks fabulous, better than the new one with the squarer headlights in my opinion.

Does that not apply to every Mercedes Benz recent lineup? All bloated with LED lights, muscular front end, etc. Look at the new CLS and how muscular it looks, still majority on this forum will tell you how well appointed and better looking it is as opposed to the pioneer design. I for once think that Mercedes are slightly drifting from their traditional design into something that seems to suggest that they are fighting hard to retain their fame in the automobile business especially against the likes of Audi. Trust me, Audi are posing a big threat to Mercedes. They know it and this is why Mercedes make their cars so aggressive looking in order to stand a better chance to compete.

Something is worth mentioning though, you and I are nothing but desperate consumers ready to take whatever is thrown at us. The very day we learn to say no to these over exaggerated designs of Mercedes, only then will they be compelled to review their stance and introduce something that is more like it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does that not apply to every Mercedes Benz recent lineup? All bloated with LED lights, muscular front end, etc. Look at the new CLS and how muscular it looks, still majority on this forum will tell you how well appointed and better looking it is as opposed to the pioneer design. I for once think that Mercedes are slightly drifting from their traditional design into something that seems to suggest that they are fighting hard to retain their fame in the automobile business especially against the likes of Audi. Trust me, Audi are posing a big threat to Mercedes. They know it and this is why Mercedes make their cars so aggressive looking in order to stand a better chance to compete.

Something is worth mentioning though, you and I are nothing but desperate consumers ready to take whatever is thrown at us. The very day we learn to say no to these over exaggerated designs of Mercedes, only then will they be compelled to review their stance and introduce something that is more like it.

It can take up to 10 year to get a car from the prototype to production, maybe a little quicker these days. Think what they will be looking at in 2023

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
I also love my SL :cool:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I loved my SL :(

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BRABUS SL55 K8 (R230), SL500 (R129), B Class B200 CDi, VW T5 Transporter.
I STILL LUV MY SL R230!!!

My SL is a pain in the arse at the moment, but I still love it and would not change it for the world! :D:D:cool::cool::cool:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
My SL is a pain in the arse at the moment, but I still love it and would not change it for the world! :D:D:cool::cool::cool:

A very forgiving man (although you couldn't change it right now unless you know another man with a tow-truck ;););););)

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BRABUS SL55 K8 (R230), SL500 (R129), B Class B200 CDi, VW T5 Transporter.
A very forgiving man (although you couldn't change it right now unless you know another man with a tow-truck ;););););)

hahahahahahahahahahah. I am a very forgiving person, that's why I am still married! Lol

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But you have the best mannered children that anyone could ever wish for :D

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From new 2002 SLK32///AMG, 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Cabriolet sold:-( Porsche RS60 3.4 :-)
I loved my SL, an all time great if ever there was one:D:D

Wish I had spotted you were selling yours when you did, I always liked the colour and spec of yours. :( Oh well, guess I'll stick with my current cars, trouble is I am loathed to part with either the SLK32AMG or the Porsche RS60, so it looks like I may have to add to the nice car collection. :D
Aside from the obvious AMDB9, any thoughts on the Jag F Type?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Any thoughts on the Jag F Type?

If you have the spare wheel it literally has no boot!!!!! I saw one last week, just beautiful and the noise!!!!!!!

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From new 2002 SLK32///AMG, 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Cabriolet sold:-( Porsche RS60 3.4 :-)
If you have the spare wheel it literally has no boot!!!!! I saw one last week, just beautiful and the noise!!!!!!!

Much like my SLK32AMG and Porsche RS60. The manufacturer's are of the opinion that all you need is Tyre foam and a compressor :shock:

So clearly what you do is get your car recovered on a low loader. Done that twice with the Merc and three times with the Porsche. :shock: Still it saves writing off the tyre I suppose.
Agreed F Type, the noise is intoxicating !

Last edited:
Top Bottom