OP
N

naweed alam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes benze 300CE 1992 3.0
It will be a 5-speed, a 4-speed manual wouldn't fit that. My guess is they don't have the shift rods connected properly. Get the car up on a ramp, disconnect the three shift rods from the underside of the gear selector, then get the three gear selector arms level and lock them with a pin running through a hole in each, then on the box make sure all the 2" arms coming out of the box are vertical, then adjust the lengths of the rods to fit those distances. Note which came off which when you remove from the selector end. It sounds like the 5th/reverse rod is not set up properly

Hi Thanks.

5th Reverse.. if the reverse is next to the 2nd gear then would rod for the 1st and reverse be the same . i hope its something simple

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I'm almost certain 5th/reverse is the same rod, but reverse will probably be left and down

OP
N

naweed alam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,

My RHD Merc is manual W201 series and reverse is a pig too !
It is located past 2nd,
Push gear lever towards passenger side, lift/ pull up on gear leaver and sweep back towards rear of car.
Check gently !! often get second and not reverse.
Hope this helps

So after some me time with the car.. i got the reverse.. its a funny gently lift push and ;light sweep .. its very different type of action :). thank you .. it took about 30 minutes of play until i got it and now i can get it in every time :). I guess i get it to the garage and get all the links and arms reconditioned and re greased

OP
N

naweed alam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So some results:

We have the reverse gear its next to 2 and requires a odd wrist action after the lift .. at least it works. Thanks to everyone who gave some input.

everything else seems to work except driver back window and the Vacuum to stop the engine after key is out.

Does anyone have a diagram of the vacuum lines , all the lines visible appear ok , i will get a brake bleeder to test the shut off mechanism just incase its not a leak.
Central locking works ok too and that is off the vacuum too

Sunroof works a treat as well , surprised since the car been standing outside for 3 years before i bought it

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
At the end of the ignition lock is a vaccumm valve, with two small pipes, one goes to the pump, and the other comes of split pipes near the vaccumm pump. If they have not fitted this, as the petrol do not have this valve on end of ignition lock.

OP
N

naweed alam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
At the end of the ignition lock is a vaccumm valve, with two small pipes, one goes to the pump, and the other comes of split pipes near the vaccumm pump. If they have not fitted this, as the petrol do not have this valve on end of ignition lock.

ill have a look for a leak near the ignition i doubt if it was never fitted since the diesel conversion was done about 100K miles ago so likely it was working at some point

Regards

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
A couple of minutes job, take the cover of under the steering wheel, so you can see if the lock has two vaccumm pipes at the end,if no, buy a second hand lock with the key, from a 1986 to1992 Mercedes diesel. Rob Parker who is on the forum will sell you one, and post to you, he breaks mercs nice bloke to buy merc parts from with no hassle, he knows old mercy in side out.

Top Bottom