Mystery Rad .. Part 2

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hi everyone..
I took the engine covers off and tried to follow where the pipes from the mystery rad went..
They disapear under the right side of the engine towards the bulkhead.. The problem is that the access for a clear view is non existant..
See photos..
So short of removing the hose to see what comes out I am not sure what to do next..
Dont forget my car is booked in with the main dealer next wednesday to have the radiator sussed...
Assuming I can believe a word they say that is...
I errrr almost darent mention the fact that I have asked them to retro fit rear parking sensors.. They are going to colour code them as well..
I await your scorn dear readers..

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Your pics show the power steering pipes

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcom..
Those pipes I have arrowed come from the Small radiator.. I took much trouble to make sure I followed them carefully..
If they are power steering pipes then It looks like the radiator is a power steering cooler..
Whatever next ?

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Errr So after all this does it mean that I may not be safe after all from Valeo-itus?
The guy who sold me the car reckoned I was safe cos it was an external ATF Cooler..
I cant believe I have gone all the way around the block just to get next door.

I suspected at the time he was fobbing me off cos he could not be bothered to change the rad..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Errr So after all this does it mean that I may not be safe after all from Valeo-itus?
The guy who sold me the car reckoned I was safe cos it was an external ATF Cooler..

I suspected at the time he was fobbing me off cos he could not be bothered to change the rad..

That snake thing in front is the power steering cooler, it tells you in my link

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But the snake thing is NOT what I have arrowed in the photos at the beginning of this link..
I think we are at cross purposes here..

Thanks for all you help.. I never take it for granted.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well the little one is the air con that roofless put up and the snake is the power steering, its hard on the photo to see what goes where. The gearbox cooler pipes do not come to the front side

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Hmmm, see where you are going Malcolm, the little rad is attached to the main condensor. My doubt about it being for the a/c is based around the pipes being clipped to the rad. Surely a/c pressure would be too much for this.

I would have had a look this eve, but Mrs E was late home, and it was raining....:(

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX

Notwithstanding that all of the technical wizzes (and idiots like me) can't fathom the mystery rad, your car is not listed on the TSB as being at risk.

So your seller is either being:

a. Well informed about the little rad;
b. a shifty salesman;
c. A labour party special advisor.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to put this to rest, there are no gearbox cooler pipes in front of the rad, the oil cooler is on the side of the rad.

Picture one shows the problem and the crimping that caused the fault. The second picture shows the oil cooler where the white spot is

Last edited by a moderator:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Well the little one is the air con that roofless put up and the snake is the power steering, its hard on the photo to see what goes where. The gearbox cooler pipes do not come to the front side

The problem is that there are many variations - but on the W203 C270CDi that the OP is asking about, and which I have too, the a/c condenser is a full width radiator situated underneath, and to the front of, the main radiator. It, and the a/c pipes that connect to it, are clearly visible on my car.

Access in the engine compartment in incredibly tight, but on my car I can't see anything other than water connections to the main rad in which case the little rad *must* be the ATF cooler.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The problem is that there are many variations - but on the W203 C270CDi that the OP is asking about, and which I have too, the a/c condenser is a full width radiator situated underneath, and to the front of, the main radiator. It, and the a/c pipes that connect to it, are clearly visible on my car.

Access in the engine compartment in incredibly tight, but on my car I can't see anything other than water connections to the main rad in which case the little rad *must* be the ATF cooler.

But if you check the 2 pipes that go to the little rad you will see that they are air con pipes 80 in the link

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...648716.649&CT=F&cat=65F&SID=50&SGR=165&SGN=02

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But if you check the 2 pipes that go to the little rad you will see that they are air con pipes 80 in the link

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...648716.649&CT=F&cat=65F&SID=50&SGR=165&SGN=02

Maybe AT means automatic transmission? The pipe runs are different to our cars - in ours they go over the top of the main rad.

If you look at the AMG picure in your link, then that additional radiator is very similar in size and the way it's mounted as the a/c condenser is in my car.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Mine certainly looks just like that, complete with that valve/filter thing shown in the line to the small rad. But surely to Goodness that little radiator can't be the a/c condenser?? (Although maybe that explains why the a/c isn't very good!!).

If it is, then means the lower radiator that I thought was the condenser, is really the ATF cooler! It just gets worse!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The whole point here is that the oil cooler had to be joined to the water rad, it does not matter what make the rad is the principle is the same, and you can see that in the piture that I put up with the white spot, and this is on the engine side, if these things were separate then the fault could not happen

The pipes going over the rad are coming from the air con pump on the right of the engine along with the power steering on that side of the engine.

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...648716.649&CT=M&cat=21T&SID=01&SGR=005&SGN=01

Top Bottom