N10 Relay, Soldering Repair, Wiper - Indicators & Hazards - Rear Window Demister.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
N10 Relay, Soldering Repair, Wiper - Indicators & Hazards - Rear Window Demister.

Car; 1994 C180 = W202, others may vary.

The N10 relay is a multi-function relay, it has 3 relays inside it which control the following consumers;
Intermittent Wiper – Indicators & Hazards Warning Lights - Rear Window Demister

If, individually or collectively any of the above stop working or work only some of the time then it may be that a broken solder joint on the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) inside the N10 relay is at fault.

As with all electrical faults, always check the relevant fuses first

Symptoms;

1… Intermittent wiper stops working some of the time or all of the time.

2… Slow and fast wiper speeds always work but wiper blade won’t return to the park position on the driver side IF wiper is switched off in mid-sweep, (ie the blade stops on the screen at the point that it was switched off.)

3… When the end of wiper stalk switch is pressed towards the steering wheel, wiper stops working some of the time or all of the time.

4… Windscreen washer jets work normally.

5… Rear screen heater/demister stops working some of the time or all of the time.

6… Left/Right indicators AND/OR Hazard Warning lights stop working some of the time or all of the time.

NOTE; due to the intermittent nature of a broken connection, you might not have ALL of the above symptoms all of the time, for example only your Intermittent wiper may have stopped working OR your Indicators & Hazard Warning lights have stoped working.

In this particular case the broken connection seems to have been the main power supply for the relay, causing the loss of all of the consumers in an intermittent fashion.

A Poor connection of the relay pins and there sockets could also be the cause of a fault, however this much less likely to be the case unless the pins and there sockets are in very poor condition.

Dec

N101.jpg

N102.jpg

N103.jpg

N104.jpg

N105.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
What an excellent post, should be in DIY section

OP
D

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Thanks lads, it’s quite a common fault so should be useful.

My edit button is gone, I wanted to add; “As with all electrical faults, always check the relevant fuses first”

Dec

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i agree, what a fantastic post, well done Dec, you surpass yourself each time, I love the quality of your posts :)

moving to the DIY section

cheers
niall

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
Thanks lads, it’s quite a common fault so should be useful.

My edit button is gone, I wanted to add; “As with all electrical faults, always check the relevant fuses first”

Dec

i've added that edit for you Dec, cheers

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom