Near miss

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Had a shock today driving into a market town, I am on the left heading towards to roundabout where you turn right into the car park that extends down the side of the road with a pavement edge. There is a zebra crossing about 100 metres before the roundabout.
I am slowing down to about 15mph as I pass the Zebra and there is a figure at my right window as I cross, I am shocked, park up and the guy comes over to complain, I apologise and we shake hands.
Get home and I check the dash cam, the crossing is clear as i approach with no one on either side, just as I get up to the crossing a man comes striding through the parked cars, no hesitation straight onto the crossing, glaces at my car and keeps moving on almost walking into the side of my car ( this last part is not on the camera but from my remembered view)
Felt much better after viewing the dash cam footage, I was thinking I had a blindspot or had had a real lapse.
This is a very busy car park usually lots of shoppers and I am usually stopping in case they decide to cross but today in the heavy rain it was quiet.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
If you believe this man was intending to orchestrate an accident, you should take your dash cam to the police. There are plenty of scammers and they're very hard to catch. As nothing came of it, they can't hope to prosecute and convict but if he tries it more effectively another time, your evidence could vindicate another driver. Quite apart from the anguish caused to a driver who believes he's hurt someone, insurance costs us all a lot of money and by extension scammers take money out of all our pockets.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Could have been an orchestrated accident attempt but equally someone distracted by the heavy rain or something. Problem is of course you never know nowadays. I would however be tempted to keep the dash cam footage.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
dash cams are a god send these days , way too many people out to make a quick buck OR not driving with due care and attention , I had a guy cut me up over the w.end and then he decided to show me a few hand gestures but he soon apologised when I pointed to my dash cam

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Mt dash cam is so effective that since I installed it I haven't had an accident!

PINBALL

Reaction score
Website
www.coin-opcommunity.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 E230 / 124 E220 /124 E280 /210 E320 CDI Wagons
I can always remember back in my 20s a mechanic friend was always saying "the more experienced driver you are, the worse a pedestrian you make".

I used to think 'silly old sod' --- not so sure now!

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
He arrived at your right window after striding through the parked cars.
Were the cars parked on the zig zags?

If he wasn't running and if the cars were not on the zig zags, how did you not see him?
Even if his intention was to walk into the side of your car, as you were only doing around 15mph.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom