Negative experience with Mercedes

OP
SteveCa

SteveCa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 220 CDI
Not bitter much.
One cannot forsee such issues and its nothing to do with the age of car.

How many times have you been a customer of customer of MB directly - thus what goodwill have you earned?
Goodwill has a meaning - it is earned and not a right.

Your call on the scrapyard and route of action. As mention many times any decent indy would see you you right at a fraction of the cost. I still cannot see how a injector can damage a piston.....
The goodwill I should have earned is that I have bought four brand new E Classes since 2009. This one was purchased as a stop gap and the first one I have owned that is not in warranty. Add up the sums of previously purchased cars. So please don't talk to me about goodwill being earned.

Last edited:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
The good will I should have earned is that I have bought four brand new E classes since 2009. This one was purchased as a stop gap and the first one I have owned that is not in warranty. Add up the sums of previously purchased cars. So please don't talk to me about good will being earned.
Exactly, my SLC300 has only 10,000 miles on the clock, it's cost over £2000 in repairs within months of the warranty running out, and needed repaired under warranty too, Mercedes are not interested in any goodwill, plus my C Class has the nox sensor failure just months outside of warranty, think I'll go back to Japanese after this.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I would like to see a photo of melted piston, we are all assuming it’s melted and Mercedes’ have diagnosed it correctly or has something been left in the inlet tract when the oil cooler was replaced? As said before, I have never seen a Mercedes’ hole a piston, maybe other brands do but it’s not a Mercedes’??
Before contemplating any action against Mercedes’, you need to know the exact cause of the failure, this cost time and money. Then the risk of loosing and costs associated far out way the cost of said repair.

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Don’t forget that the car has not been serviced in line with manufacturer recommendations

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I would like to see a photo of melted piston, we are all assuming it’s melted and Mercedes’ have diagnosed it correctly or has something been left in the inlet tract when the oil cooler was replaced? As said before, I have never seen a Mercedes’ hole a piston, maybe other brands do but it’s not a Mercedes’??
Before contemplating any action against Mercedes’, you need to know the exact cause of the failure, this cost time and money. Then the risk of loosing and costs associated far out way the cost of said repair.
Agree with you there Ian, we need that clarification on what the state of the piston actually is, melted looks very different from impact damage from debris

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Exactly, my SLC300 has only 10,000 miles on the clock, it's cost over £2000 in repairs within months of the warranty running out, and needed repaired under warranty too, Mercedes are not interested in any goodwill, plus my C Class has the nox sensor failure just months outside of warranty, think I'll go back to Japanese after this.
That's extremely disappointing and l wouldn't be very happy. And l quite fancied the SLC at one point.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
You cannot do that without a High Court Order, last I heard, that started at a minimum £10,000! Do you really think Mercedes would give this information out if you just asked?
Yes. It’s not proprietary and all other carmakers issue it for free. In fact it’s available through certain 3rd party providers too.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
When you say it cut out did it stop dead or just run poorly?

OP
SteveCa

SteveCa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 220 CDI
When you say it cut out did it stop dead or just run poorly?
I pulled out of a junction, accelerated harder than normal and the engine jerked on and off with a quick flash of the engine management light then cut out. No warning it was going to do this. There were no issues with starting, running or smoke of any type from the exhaust prior to this. It stopped and stunk of burning that I thought is was on fire. Engine would still turnover but would not start again. Mercedes Recovery took to Oxford Mercedes. Good job I was not in the fast lane of a motorway.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Any update?? @SteveCa
I doubt a piston would melt on a short burst of acceleration.

OP
SteveCa

SteveCa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 220 CDI
Any update?? @SteveCa
According to the report from Merc Oxford they carried out a Star test and found multiple faults and have changed the cause to diesel leak in to Cylinder 4 which has melted the injector damaging the piston. Other 3 Cylinders have no compression. Make of that what you will. It has now got to have new engine.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Any update?? @SteveCa
What’s the going rate parts & Labour for a replacement engine, for this car nowadays Ian?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
According to the report from Merc Oxford they carried out a Star test and found multiple faults and have changed the cause to diesel leak in to Cylinder 4 which has melted the injector damaging the piston. Other 3 Cylinders have no compression. Make of that what you will. It has now got to have new engine.
That makes zero sense.
If piston 4 had an issue it should not affect the other three.
Sounds more like a broken cam chain or its jumped teeth.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Injectors are made to withstand heat they sit in an engine and deliver fuel above the piston. Make no sense to me at all.

I would get this to an Indy as reiterated. Merc are not fix it, they are follow computer and replace.

Id say an the work would be North of 10k easily for an engine replacement

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Injectors are made to withstand heat they sit in an engine and deliver fuel above the piston. Make no sense to me at all.

I would get this to an Indy as reiterated. Merc are not fix it, they are follow computer and replace.

MB quoted him £13k for a fitted replacement engine. I think an Indy would be much less.

OP
SteveCa

SteveCa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 220 CDI

Can only say what was on their report. They removed the injectors and one had melted. I'm sure the Indy will see this. I have asked them to confirm. It's having a new engine. :(

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom