Negative experience with Mercedes

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
OP
SteveCa

SteveCa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 220 CDI
Got the car back. After looking at engine replacements including Crewe Engines & Ivor Searle of Soham decides to buy a genuine Mercedes remanufactured engine. Not cheap. This has a two year unlimited mileage warranty. Autoclass of Milton Keynes ordered & fitted it. They did a perfect job and were cheaper than Mercedes Oxford so would highly recommend them if you do not want to use a main dealer. They confirmed the injector had jammed open flooding one of the piston chambers which in turn melted the injector, damaged the piston, and wrecked the engine. No logic as to why it did but it did not have the dodgy early injectors fitted to the 2010/2013 cars.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Glad you got it fixed, so overfuelling in one cylinder caused the damage ? This is rare, and news to me as an owner of multiple diesel cars. I would be interested to understand the actual mechanism of failure, if someone could explain

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Glad you got it fixed, so overfuelling in one cylinder caused the damage ? This is rare, and news to me as an owner of multiple diesel cars. I would be interested to understand the actual mechanism of failure, if someone could explain
Ditto, still can’t understand how a small hard acceleration “melts” a piston. We see lots of overfuelling diesel cars, from very loud injector bark to smoking on long idle, never seen a melted piston.

OP
SteveCa

SteveCa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 220 CDI
The only people that might be able to explain it would be Mercedes as they will be getting the engine back. But I somehow doubt they will reveal the reason. It's just a very expensive one off. It has been suggested that the very low mileage the car had done before I bought it (24k) in 8 years may have been the reason as diesel injectors can jam open or closed if under used?? Autoclass said they had a BMW do the same thing. I will never know but won't be buying another diesel or Merc.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom