New A Class On Target?

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
Oh please! You come across as someone who thinks they are better than anyone else. Your not!

I just long for the days of Mercedes being a cut above the rest, and something to aspire to.

If everyone's got one and they're built like Renaults (or are just rebadged Renaults), what's the point?

aquiss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220CDi AMG Sport
I just long for the days of Mercedes being a cut above the rest, and something to aspire to.

If everyone's got one and they're built like Renaults (or are just rebadged Renaults), what's the point?

I have to agree with you on this point. From a pride point of view I don't get why Mercedes/Daimler have forged partnerships where logically (well we all presume I guess) they are already very strong.....ie: powerplant/engine divisions.

My huge disappointment, which applies to the new A-Class and relates directly to tie-ups or lack of, is where are the hybrid versions of new cars? Daimler group have been sat on technology and Press Released to the world global trips of cars with hybrid/ecell systems. In my view, each new model being released today should have at least 1 hybrid alternative option.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I have to agree with you on this point. From a pride point of view I don't get why Mercedes/Daimler have forged partnerships where logically (well we all presume I guess) they are already very strong.....ie: powerplant/engine divisions.

My huge disappointment, which applies to the new A-Class and relates directly to tie-ups or lack of, is where are the hybrid versions of new cars? Daimler group have been sat on technology and Press Released to the world global trips of cars with hybrid/ecell systems. In my view, each new model being released today should have at least 1 hybrid alternative option.

The problem for me is the driven axle, the other "drivers" premium hatch is the BMW which has a premium drivetrain with a rwd one. Here is essentially a megane for near c class money

aquiss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220CDi AMG Sport
The problem for me is the driven axle, the other "drivers" premium hatch is the BMW which has a premium drivetrain with a rwd one. Here is essentially a megane for near c class money

I've driven the A-Class (see another one of my threads) which left me a little....ugh. Honestly speaking, the FWD/RWD did not seem to be noticeable, but I do put that down to a nicely balanced setup (merc engineers known what there doing). The biggest loss in my view was the lack of Adaptive Steering Assist, which makes both the A-Class and CLA-Class feel heavy, compared to C-Class upwards.

Price wise....totally agree, though with high demand (and a rather long delay reported by a lot of dealers) they appear to have got the money pit balance right. My beef is the lack of drivetrain options given the price point.

Pappilo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport
People don't buy Mercedes anymore, they lease them or get them on PCPs.

That's why anyone with a decent credit rating and a pulse has one.

When I first started you had to be a proper person to have a Mercedes-Benz, now any ×××× can have one.

Hence Mercedes have given up on the rock solid build quality thing and just knock any old thing out to please the monthly payment men.

Jaguar are looking more appealing these days.

So says the man with a 10 year old banger!

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
People don't buy Mercedes anymore, they lease them or get them on PCPs.

That's why anyone with a decent credit rating and a pulse has one.

When I first started you had to be a proper person to have a Mercedes-Benz, now any ×××× can have one.

Hence Mercedes have given up on the rock solid build quality thing and just knock any old thing out to please the monthly payment men.

Jaguar are looking more appealing these days.

That comment is probably the most (unjust) self righteous post I have read on a forum in the 15 years I have been reading them.

If someone wants a new car and swap every 3 years, and it will cost them £300 a month to do on a PCP or £500 a month if they buy cash, who is the wise man, the one who uses PCP or the one who "doesn't fall for the finance trap!"?? :rolleyes:

If you were driving round in a brand new S500L your post would hold some weight, as it stands you just sound like a miserable old git! :D

I have gone back to an 02 plate car to save some money, but then I have a father in aw with a garage, even going to a 10 year old car I reckon it wouldn't save me all that much if I didn't have that advantage over a new A180cdi on a PCP. Not when you consider mpg, warranty work, tax and insurance etc.

I do half the miles I have been doing now, so down to around 20k.
An A180cdi on a PCP for around £60 a week and no worries about anything is appealing, not saying I am going to swap my ML for an A Class, but I can see why so many do.

I am glad Mercedes are offering finance deals on new cars, and glad that they are offering cars to every 'X X X X' out there, it means they are still in business, it means they are still making cars, if they pulled finance on Mercedes overnight they would be gone by the end of the month.

I'm also glad the prices are not what they were 20 odd years ago, when an E Class cost the same as a terraced house in most parts of the UK, if an E Class was £150,000 now Mercedes wouldn't be here, or they would be making cars that were 10 years behind everyone else.

Jaguar build quality?

Have you sat in an XF? The trim in the latest Mercs is a step backwards, but the Jag makes you realise that the Mercs are still a level above most.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
The biggest loss in my view was the lack of Adaptive Steering Assist, which makes both the A-Class and CLA-Class feel heavy, compared to C-Class upwards.

That's interesting, that was the one area I was really impressed with.

In the end I sold my E350 cdi as I hated the adaptive steering, just hated it.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom