New car, New Engine

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
My new C class engine, is tighter than I am ............... I got 32 MPG over 350 miles yesterday, traveling to Lee on Solent and back, Mainly down the A34/M3/M27, doing 75MPH on cruise.

Should I expect MPG to be this bad on a new C220 CDI .......... I've had new cars in the past, but never was the consuption this poor at the start ........ I'm on 1250 miles now.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
My new C class engine, is tighter than I am ............... I got 32 MPG over 350 miles yesterday, traveling to Lee on Solent and back, Mainly down the A34/M3/M27, doing 75MPH on cruise.

Should I expect MPG to be this bad on a new C220 CDI .......... I've had new cars in the past, but never was the consuption this poor at the start ........ I'm on 1250 miles now.

I bought a new 220 CDI estate 2 years ago. The initial fuel consumption was disappointing - although perhaps not as bad as yours. Around 36 to begin with and did not average more than 40 until 10,000 miles, but thereafter it eased up a lot and now @ around 10600 it will achieve 46 on a decent run. I expect it to improve further and should give 50+ when fully run in.

It would be interesting to hear what consumption the higher mileage 220 CDIs give?

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
It would be interesting to hear what consumption the higher mileage 220 CDIs give?

Mine is now on 31,000 miles & I recently got 51.5MPG on a 300 mile round trip, mostly M/Way & dual C/Way.

Russ

lulu

Reaction score
Mine averages 36/37 ish with 55,000 miles under the belt. Not very often on the motorway.

OP
T

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
  • Banned
10600, and you think it's not run in yet ??........... when the heck do you expect that ??

I need MPG ............. Now !!

I think there's Scot's in me ..................... lol

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
10600, and you think it's not run in yet ??........... when the heck do you expect that ??

I need MPG ............. Now !!

I think there's Scot's in me ..................... lol

Yes, yes - calm down dear, it's only a Forum (with due respect to Michael Winner). I'm Scottish too and expect the fuel economy to keep improving noticeably until at least 20,000 miles. rf065 reports 51.5 mpg and that is what you will have to get used to in due course.

OP
T

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
  • Banned
But But ............... I gotta endure, poor consumption whilst I'm waiting ........

Seriously though ........... should I talk to the dealer about contributing towards my cost's, as the vehicle is "Not as stated" .......... or even "fit for purpose", at present.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
But But ............... I gotta endure, poor consumption whilst I'm waiting ........

You can't be that frugal otherwise you'd have bought a used one.

Seriously though ........... should I talk to the dealer about contributing towards my cost's, as the vehicle is "Not as stated" .......... or even "fit for purpose", at present.

Not unless you want someone to laugh in your face...:rolleyes: it takes really about 30k miles to bed in a diesel. You'll have an awful lot of miles to do, and in that time your car will depreciate too. Would you like them to pay that too :p

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T212 facelift, 2013. A few toys including pan roof, 19" rims, Harmon Kardon, nappa, privacy glass.
Stop being tight Tim and enjoy your new car :). If you want to feel real bad, I got 42.6 out of my E320 diesel on a run yesterday :cool:

OP
T

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
  • Banned
Cutting ........... very cutting !!

Nope! ... depreciation is covered by others .................

But the advertised MPG would be nice ........ or even close to it, would be a good start !

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

Sorry to be not so nice but your car is new and they are juicy for a while. A really tight gent like me avoids new cars like the plague, although I am sure yours is very nice.

But the advertised MPG would be nice ........ or even close to it, would be a good start !

Are you leasing, PCPing or company car driving?

Getting the published combined figure is a tall order, I can beat it on my car but its on 45k miles and I drive like a miser (I did this weekend hit 48mpg from my E220cdi). I cannot beat the extra urban figure (57mpg) however as we have too many hills up these parts.

Your MPG is better than the urban figure for your car so its still within tolerances for that model so nowt to worry about. Enjoy the car whilst its in your ownership, and maybe once (if your leasing / PCPing) you may wish to buy it as it will be bedded in and better on fuel.

Welcome BTW, its a nice forum really.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
235,000 miles and giving 50 mpg, 3up with luggage@80mph
40-45 mpg around town @ 30 mph when not to busy and not stopping.
In usual stop/start traffic maybe 30.
Heavy traffic ,winter- takes forever just to get to 25mpg.

OP
T

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
  • Banned
There's no such thing as depreciation .....................It's just usage ya pay for, unless you leave it on the drive.

I was going to purchase ..... but with ridiculas finance figures, I went for a PCP....... the low rate was too tempting .............. if it's worth more the the final baloon payment..... I'll keep it !

Interestingly enough ........ I looked at "other"cars 1st, before buying this one ................ Ford Veebub & Audi, dont wanna sell cars do they .................... lol

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

You'll get that and more -easily. But you have to temper your enthusiasm and limit the use of the old right foot. If you accelerate hard and often fuel consumption goes bad. Accelerate gently and limit right foot to about one inch depression of the accelerator and magically the fuel consumption improves a whole lot.

I have the E220cdi estate which won't be as good as the C for economy but I easily get over 40mpg and the engine has only done 12,500 miles so far.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's just usage ya pay for, unless you leave it on the drive.

Sadly, *Thumper, depreciation is a price you pay whether you use it or not. Have a look at RR or Bentley cars at auction. Many have done tiny mileages yet they lead the world on depreciation.

It is the major factor in a low mileage car - whereas the data some have shown on the Forum for "cost per mile" are very low because they have done a huge mileage to dilute out the depreciation amongst the actual running costs.

The more you use it, the cheaper (per mile) it gets.

a71jay

Reaction score
if it an conciliation I only get 20-21 around town in my new 220cdi c-class. Its now got about 1200 miles on the clock.

My last c-class only gave me 40 if I drove it at a constant 70mph on the motorway. That car had only done 36k when I gave it back.

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
I own a C220 CDdi Estate just one year old. My car has covered 7500 miles. Each fill-up consumption is improving and is now doing 41.21mpg. The on-board computer is 10% optimistic on my car but I have seen over 50mpg on the 'Start' trip. My motoring is mainly motorway and A roads but with some town work.

Having owned diesels for years I can confirm that they do improve with mileage; my last vehicle really improved at about 32000miles!

If you have an auto then try using it in C mode and nudge the shift to top, as I have found that it likes to hold 4th for a while and you can nudge it to 5th and save some fuel!

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
In my experience no merc fully runs in for 50k so if you want top mpg from the start, buy a used one. Also, 75 on cruise is not the way to get 50+mpg. My E270 will do 48 if driven very gently around the 50mph mark. At 70+ the best I can hope for is 43 and 80+ 36-40. Cruise will always be worse on mpg as its working to maintain the speed, whereas you can sacrifice a bit of speed up hill for mpg.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Some suggestions on how to obtain good mpg are quite fascinating.
Firstly accelerating gently-some research says otherwise. Haynes also suggest accelerating briskly to the speed you want to drive at.
would assume that you use less fuel accelerating to say 40 briskly in 5-10 secs than you would if you were to take 30 secs for same speed.
For me i find that it is better. I can get my mpg up faster by accelerating briskly,the point where i lift off theaccelerator to maintain a cruising speed suddenly boosts the mpg readout faster than if i were to accelerate slowly.
If i were to accelerate to 40 taking 40 secs then it may be economical but not practical.
I also find that with cruise turned on the car is more economical than keeping the car at a constant speed which i cant explain.
the roads i use are pretty flat so this certainly would not work in a hilly area.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I also find that with cruise turned on the car is more economical than keeping the car at a constant speed which i cant explain.
the roads i use are pretty flat so this certainly would not work in a hilly area.

I also find cruise more economical.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom