New car order wrong!!!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
There's advice here about rejecting the car, thats IMHO being deliberately obtuse.

The OP wants the privacy glass fitted, yet doesn't want it retrofitted. Well err how is going to be fitted. Thats IMHO being awkward. What a better approach is "my new car hasn't been debadged nor has the tinted windows, can you please debadge it and tint the windows to OEM spec, either by using a film or sending over tinted glass from the factory for the dealer to fix....I'll take it away and drop it back in once you have the glass in but I'll want a decent loan car for the day and how about a free first service for the hassle this has caused". Polite, effective and a workable solution for both parties.

Or rant to dealership, consult solicitor, raise blood pressure get no where expensively (my earlier post is correct).
I have taken MB to court I will fight my corner but not until people start being unreasonable.
The deal is sortable.
Or maybe the car isn't wanted anyway, that wouldn't be the first time.

Richard Elliot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 E270CDi
How dare they increase the price after agreement, for a start. WHY is the relevant manager AND salesman absent when you go to pick up the car? No wonder the OP is frustrated, anybody buying a new car is taking a massive hit with depreciation but at least they have the compensation of getting the spec they want... i reckon that the OP has not been well treated and suggest he/she goes to the manager Monday with a calm head and see what they have to offer in terms of compensation.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Rejecting the car to get a new one is pointless as, as said by others, this one can be made into the one you want pretty easily and you've already suffered the hassle of the delay and nothing can change that (and this will be added to more with rejection).

Not much else you can do, delays are there in all the manufacturers, i suppose if getting a car quickly is important just buy a pre-owned 6month car and save a fortune on the price and all this hassle of correcting spec, etc. Transactions are so much simpler when the thing you are buying is physically there.

TheBluetac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E300 AMG SPORT
The OP wants privacy glass but doesn't want it retro fitted. Being Awkward??? Wise up! He didn't want it retro fitted so he asked for it in ADVANCE!

The dealership by taking delivery of the car - seeing that it wasnt what was ordered and still trying to pass it off to their esteemed customer - thats being obtuse!

How dare the customer demand what he ordered - the cheek! He should take whatever he gets - after all its cheap at half the price....pfft

LTD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDi Coupe Sport
Was this car coming direct from the factory ?

I have a feeling it's the best fit from available group stock ....

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
The OP wants privacy glass but doesn't want it retro fitted. Being Awkward??? Wise up! He didn't want it retro fitted so he asked for it in ADVANCE!

The dealership by taking delivery of the car - seeing that it wasnt what was ordered and still trying to pass it off to their esteemed customer - thats being obtuse!

How dare the customer demand what he ordered - the cheek! He should take whatever he gets - after all its cheap at half the price....pfft

Crikey! What is it with you lot? Is the focus making as much noise and aggro as possible or getting the car the OP ordered? This is easily resolved and chances are the dealership will be embarrassed by the error and do what they can to remedy the situation WITHOUT throwing of toys.

The irony is that had the OP not seen the car without the tints, and the dealer stuck them on, he would be none the wiser. Just like cars that are damaged in transit and are repaired before collection :shock:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

Whats the difference if its fitted before or after. The windows are still dark.

An added badge and the windows can be fixed. Why not pass it on, the dealership can present the "buyer" with a car to drive off in. Added badges and lacking tints are minor details, its an estate car, in its present state its usable for a few days whilst the issue of the rear glass is sorted.

Do you think the OP should sue Mercedes for the cost of the tinted windows option with the time that they are not on the car devided by the lenght of the finance term? Its a minor inconvienece surely, or it would be to a reasonable person.

As I said, all the issues can be fixed on the OPs car with a film or new factory glass and removing badges is easy. All the OP need to do is drop off the car and use a courtesy car in the interim, or if that is too much issue, the dealer can drop a car off at his home and work, sort his, and swap the cars around at a suitable time.

We're all so tightly wound, I really don't see the issue here.

The point is he can, and is by following my advice. The dealer will see this all the time. The buyer merely has to say please fix, I'll drop it in when I am ready, this is a bind so can you service it FOC when its due its 1st and put it in writing. Personally, I wouldn't even bother asking for the free service, so long as they fixed it with a tinted film or factory glass and removed the badges and gave me a car to use for the time it took to fix, I'd be happy.

Returning the car is facile. Having the issues sorted in a timely manner is not.

OP
B

Bobb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 220 sport estate
There are lots of opinions here and I'm grateful for having opened the discussion, let me tell you how I feel!
I have waited some time, and sold my last car in anticipation of this being available in late September, so I have borrowed a Peugeot 107 interim !! Not exactly a motorway cruiser and have suffered the embarrassment of turning up to business meetings in what appears to be my kids car!! But hey ho at least I had one to use, however having really looked forward to a purchase which was £42k, to find out that it's not what I had ordered, therefore I am sitting in the showroom with my wife and two kids excited about picking up a new car, but like a numpty having to leave without it, as there was nobody at the showroom capable of or authorised to make any reasonable offer to resolve issue! Why would I not accept retro fitted tints, I have them in our X5, but with the young ones in the back, they have damaged them, and now I have little white holes, where the girls have obviously knocked something against them. Factory fit are not film type, secondly who in there right minds would be happy at the thought of a new car being pulled apart by a MB dealer who has to pull apart all the doors rear door, remove seals with solvent, risk damage and scratches etc etc etc!! Come on people, this is going to be my single most expensive purchase for the next 4-5 years!! Why should I be penalised?? Am I responsible?? Was it my fault??

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
There are lots of opinions here and I'm grateful for having opened the discussion, let me tell you how I feel!
I have waited some time, and sold my last car in anticipation of this being available in late September, so I have borrowed a Peugeot 107 interim !! Not exactly a motorway cruiser and have suffered the embarrassment of turning up to business meetings in what appears to be my kids car!! But hey ho at least I had one to use, however having really looked forward to a purchase which was £42k, to find out that it's not what I had ordered, therefore I am sitting in the showroom with my wife and two kids excited about picking up a new car, but like a numpty having to leave without it, as there was nobody at the showroom capable of or authorised to make any reasonable offer to resolve issue! Why would I not accept retro fitted tints, I have them in our X5, but with the young ones in the back, they have damaged them, and now I have little white holes, where the girls have obviously knocked something against them. Factory fit are not film type, secondly who in there right minds would be happy at the thought of a new car being pulled apart by a MB dealer who has to pull apart all the doors rear door, remove seals with solvent, risk damage and scratches etc etc etc!! Come on people, this is going to be my single most expensive purchase for the next 4-5 years!! Why should I be penalised?? Am I responsible?? Was it my fault??
Ask them to send over factory glass, if they damage the car in anyway, they'll fix it. Plus they won't more than likely damage it.

TheBluetac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E300 AMG SPORT
I do not think the OP should sue - thats ridiculous! I think he should do what suits him - whether getting a decent goodwill gesture or wait for another car. Personally I would take a goodwill gesture if it suited or order at another dealership. Maybe i'm too old fashioned in my views of customer care.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

I do not think the OP should sue - thats ridiculous! I think he should do what suits him - whether getting a decent goodwill gesture or wait for another car. Personally I would take a goodwill gesture if it suited or order at another dealership. Maybe i'm too old fashioned in my views of customer care.
Now we've learned HOW important the glass is and it cannot be done with film, then the factory glass must go in. He should insist on that. If they cannot do that, a decent good will gesture (upto the value of the glass and some more) would sooth it, like a free service or set of replacement tyres when they are done.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have to agree that plastic tinting is not as good as the original glass, it can be damaged, it does mark and very slightly static. having all the doors pulled apart would not be nice on a new car and an horrific amount of work, Would I accept that no, what about the rear window ??

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011

With everything being said here and your comment here I agree wholeheartedly with you. £42k should get you exactly what you want and whilst I think the Debadge could be achieved with zero impact the tinted windows would involve a strip down and rebuild of the doors ...thus potentially loosening up various items in the door and not fitting back possibly as tightly as the day it came out of the factory. Does that store problems up for the future? Possibly and if so then at £42k I would want it as I asked... Stick to your guns.. I think you are being entirely reasonable ... Stay calm and debate ..don't shout though..

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Its your money do whatever will make you feel most comfortable for the long term.

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
Well you might have to fall over backwards, I have been researching my position, and apart from the fact that they have tried to give me a car which was not as specced, they have the incorrect figures on the finance balloon payment £300 more, provide a car at the same cost without amendment to the price. Plus their order form strictly suggests a sales managers signature is required, and no signature on it, which makes the order not worth the paper it's on. Plus car was over 30 days from expected delivery date which also allows me to cancel.

Not being funny, but if it's just on contract rental, does the debadge and dealerfit tints really matter?

In 36 months it will be off to auction and you'll be piloting something else.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Not being funny, but if it's just on contract rental, does the debadge and dealerfit tints really matter?

In 36 months it will be off to auction and you'll be piloting something else.
What a horrid remark. Lots of people choose to change their car every 3 years or so. How they choose to finance their car is their business and does not mean they don't care about what they drive.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda

I think you have a very reasonable attitude.
I accept that manufacturers can't be responsible for exact spec, but I suspect if that spec is on the order form then yes they can. It forms part of the contract. So, if they change standard spec in some way then no you probably can't argue, but in this case, you are perfectly at liberty to reject it, walk away or demand a replacement.
You are equally at liberty to negotiate some other solution. In other words, you hold all the cards.
I think my angle would be to reject the car and demand a loan car (C class) whilst they sort out the mess. If they are in any way reputable, they'll not argue. The line I've used in the past is that they have plenty of demonstrators, loan cars and if it comes to it, used cars in stock, get me one of those. I am pretty confident they can speed up a replacement under the circumstances.
I had an Audi suffer catastrophic engine failure after 2 days. They offered to fit an new engine and I refused. I wanted a new, untampered with car, not one that's spent 2 weeks in a workshop being dismantled. They didn't argue, but simply bought my car back, (which they subsequently used, and sold, as a demonstrator) and got me a new replacement. Took 3 weeks but that was a lot quicker than the original order. In the mean time, they lent me a 4 year old equivalent that they'd just taken in as PX. I'm sure a similar solution can be found.

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
What a horrid remark. Lots of people choose to change their car every 3 years or so. How they choose to finance their car is their business and does not mean they don't care about what they drive.

"having really looked forward to a purchase which was £42k, to find out that it's not what I had ordered"

All this talk of parting with £42k seems a bit suss when it's just going to be a deposit and some monthly payments, and then a balloon.

So given the badges can come off and the tints can go in a morning, is there really anything to worry about??

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Yes maybe I am staying upright after all.

LTD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDi Coupe Sport
How the vehicle is being funded is not an issue.

The vehicle being supplied incorrectly is.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom