New E Class, First Impressions.

O

oldmovieguy

Dealer allowed me a peep under the wraps of the new E class which was parked out back of showroom. Looks a million bucks from the outside but you knew that already. However, when I sat behind the wheel I felt a bit unsettled. I had to check my watch as I thought I had been transported back in time when I was confronted by a very angular 1970s slab of straight dashboard. Gone was the sexy, curvey wrap-around of the old E Class, which kind of moulded itself into and around your driving position to be repalced by the mini aircraft carrier style dash which just sort of sat there, it plain didn't feel right. I know that when I get one on the road I will probably wonder what I was banging on about and sign an order but I thought I would just share my very first thoughts with you.

iben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300TD estate
Brilliant, I hate the shapes of the new cars, inside and out. I have a 1993 W124 E Class estate, slab like on the inside and outside, just what a large functional estate should look like. Oh I wish they still made the old Volvo 240, beautiful car.

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
Are the Volvo estate with the big chrome hinges on the tailgate?

My father had one of those when I was in my mid teens, the thing was like a tank and it was the first year (1986 I think (C reg)) they had put a 5 speed manual gearbox in it opposed to a 4 speed! If I remember properly though, it had engine running problems from day 1 and was sold a year and a half later.

Brings back memories....

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Dealer allowed me a peep under the wraps of the new E class which was parked out back of showroom. Looks a million bucks from the outside but you knew that already. However, when I sat behind the wheel I felt a bit unsettled. I had to check my watch as I thought I had been transported back in time when I was confronted by a very angular 1970s slab of straight dashboard. Gone was the sexy, curvey wrap-around of the old E Class, which kind of moulded itself into and around your driving position to be repalced by the mini aircraft carrier style dash which just sort of sat there, it plain didn't feel right. I know that when I get one on the road I will probably wonder what I was banging on about and sign an order but I thought I would just share my very first thoughts with you.

I got that impression of the interior when I saw the pics. Really wasn't sure so its helpful to hear from someone who's sat in one.
I have misgivings about the 212 both inside and out. I know people like the exterior but its a bit too angular to me. Wheres with the 211 it was love at first sight, both inside and out, I think the 212 will have to grow on me.
All academic in the current climate though!

EGBM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS 320 CDI
A big angular slab of dashboard, like in the 70s?

Ooooh! :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom