New E Class - Petrol Engines on the Way Out?

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I think the tide is turning against diesels in the wider used car market, the perception still invades people's minds and puts them off.

You are quite correct Rory. "The perception is the reality", to air that well worn cliche - and the facts are usually a casualty, either being ignored or worse, bent to suit the case the individual wants to champion.

Not only does diesel fuel contain more energy, it is easier to produce than gasoline/petrol - particluarly once benzene and lead have been outlawed in petrol, and much more severe (energy intensive) refining is required to desulphurise it.

If we started with a 2 barrels of oil, then used one to produce diesel and the other to produce petrol I believe you could get much more diesel, which, when put in a vehicle would take you 35% further (50% quite often) than the petrol car.

So the perception tha petrol is best, and diesel is dirty is historical and with today's technology it is costing us a fair slice of the remaining oil reserves, for no benefit.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I'm a bit confused about the new model line up.
If you look at the 2 models the prices are within a couple of hundred of each other. Specifiying heated seats on the 220 would make it more expensive. The 250 is substantially faster and mpg/co2 identical. So, why buy a 220? Clearly they've spotted this anomoly and provided the lower model with free auto, whereas the 250 its a cost option, presumably to provide some model differentiation. When firms de-spec higher models I can't help feeling that somebody is playing games as the truth is that there is no real need for the 220. Then again, aside from the refinement, which may be a good enough argument in itself, there isn't a real need for the 350 either.

Yet interesting that in the German price list psmart posted, the 220CDi and 250CDi are both manuals, with a €3K difference in price.

It's all market positioning. Anything priced as an option is always a rip-off anyway.

Few years ago BMW530i was cheaper than same spec 525i because the 530 was auto and had leather seats and met paint, all options on the 525.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'm a bit confused about the new model line up.
If you look at the 2 models the prices are within a couple of hundred of each other. Specifiying heated seats on the 220 would make it more expensive. The 250 is substantially faster and mpg/co2 identical. So, why buy a 220? Clearly they've spotted this anomoly and provided the lower model with free auto, whereas the 250 its a cost option, presumably to provide some model differentiation. When firms de-spec higher models I can't help feeling that somebody is playing games as the truth is that there is no real need for the 220. Then again, aside from the refinement, which may be a good enough argument in itself, there isn't a real need for the 350 either.
Could be down to taxi market and the like. WHen I used to drive Vauxhalls the LS model was always listed at a higher price than the SRI. The reason was that only business's bought the LS's so they could give a very good discount and the only loser was the driver who A had to drive it and B had to pay more tax because the list price was higher.

psmart

Reaction score
Could be down to taxi market and the like.
A lot is to do with taxation. In Germany, Diesels are hiked up with tax when purchased (more than petrol) but are compensated (generally) by lower Diesel prices, which the government needs to keep lower for the hauliers and industry. The government, in its credit crunch denial is heaping loads more 'tax' on petrol at the moment, disproportionately so, so this may change the ball over here with respect to petrol engines, or a Strike is coming!

P

PanzerMcGrory

What... speak the language of the Islen Affen.... oh dear! I must be turning Bavarian :rolleyes:

Anyone contemplating a new buy, forget England, head to Germany and you can choose a UK spec car with the engine and gearbox and drivetrain and tons of options not available to Mercedes UK (why oh why does a little man in an office have to dictate to the English people what Mercedes they can buy beats me!!!).

I have 2 petrol and 2 diesels cars.... kind of says it all really! But the V8 is so sweet, it warms the cockles of your heart :)

Can a point out little englander that there is a big world outside the borders of engerland including three other countries that are part of britain.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can a point out little englander that there is a big world outside the borders of engerland including three other countries that are part of britain.

Including the real master race (Not to be confused with Adolf's temporary aberration!)!

P

PanzerMcGrory

Including the real master race (Not to be confused with Adolf's temporary aberration!)!

Yes we would have won the war if it wasnt for A.H and his interference instead of losing it to the Untermenschen.

psmart

Reaction score
This was supposed to be a friendly forum, not a racially biased biggotry!

Yes, perhaps I should have said British, I am primarily in Germany all the time and my fellow colleagues say English when they refer to British, so easy mistake when your not PC'ing yourself.

P

PanzerMcGrory

This was supposed to be a friendly forum, not a racially biased biggotry!

Yes, perhaps I should have said British, I am primarily in Germany all the time and my fellow colleagues say English when they refer to British, so easy mistake when your not PC'ing yourself.

You make my point well but england is not britain as it appears to be known by yourself and most of the world and me pointing this out doesnt make me unfreindly.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You make my point well but england is not britain as it appears to be known by yourself and most of the world and me pointing this out doesnt make me unfreindly.

You might not be ........ (he said, doing his best in his second language ...) :rolleyes:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom