New Euro Emission Rules

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
You certainly don't need the sticker in Spain except maybe Barcelona and Madrid. Though even then only on high pollution days - went to madrid recently on a level 2 which is lucky as that is just a 40mph restriction on all roads, a level 3 and everything without a B or C sticker is banned.

I did look into it and the stickers are given solely based on petrol/diesel and age. Something like diesel gets a B from 2006 and a C from 2011 and petrol gets a C from 2006 based on registration. Absolutely nothing to do with real pollution/nox whatsoever, just age of vehicle, so a 2006 diesel range rover is allowed but a 2005 1.0 petrol not, absolute madness.

Must admit just booked the ferries for a trip to UK soon; will be going through rural france and parking on outskirts of toulouse. Trouble is with a route devised and friends to see on the way I can't really change my way if it was a high pollution day, suppose I'd just have to see if any fine arrived. I very much doubt they would impound the car or "other legal complications" would happen, the only time I've heard of people's cars being impounded in france (that's not a mate of a mate of a mate) is for something moronic like significant continued speeding.

I'm assuming a 1987 300d non catalyst is the worst polluting car you can get according to their BS figures (yet probably not so much in real life) so atleast it saves me the dilemma of whether to bother applying for a clean air sticker or not.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Must admit just booked the ferries for a trip to UK soon; will be going through rural france and parking on outskirts of toulouse. Trouble is with a route devised and friends to see on the way I can't really change my way if it was a high pollution day, suppose I'd just have to see if any fine arrived. I very much doubt they would impound the car or "other legal complications" would happen, the only time I've heard of people's cars being impounded in france (that's not a mate of a mate of a mate) is for something moronic like significant continued speeding.

I'm assuming a 1987 300d non catalyst is the worst polluting car you can get according to their BS figures (yet probably not so much in real life) so atleast it saves me the dilemma of whether to bother applying for a clean air sticker or not.
I believe that the French police are quite insistent on payment of fines when they issue tickets by the side of the road. You takes your chances...

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I believe that the French police are quite insistent on payment of fines when they issue tickets by the side of the road. You takes your chances...

Yes hence me saying i would just have to pay the fine...thats somewhat different to having car impounded and facing legal complications which sounds like hyperbole scare mongering to me.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Yes hence me saying i would just have to pay the fine...thats somewhat different to having car impounded and facing legal complications which sounds like hyperbole scare mongering to me.
Crit d'Air sticker costs less than £5...

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W247 AMG B200 (2020), A160 (2009) CLK270 (2005) SL230 Pagoda (1964, long gone)
V5 is fine if it states the EURO number - ours doesn't...

On the French 'Air Quality Certificate Service' site it states: The certificates are based on “EURO” standards. The standard must be indicated in field V9 of your registration certificate. OK, but there is no field V9 on my V5 !! So where from here one wonders?

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
On the French 'Air Quality Certificate Service' site it states: The certificates are based on “EURO” standards. The standard must be indicated in field V9 of your registration certificate. OK, but there is no field V9 on my V5 !! So where from here one wonders?
This is the same problem we had. You need to scan and send them the 'Certificate of Conformity' which for our car was in a yellow wallet in with the handbooks etc.
Otherwise, they will place your car in the class that was the legal minimum for the year of manufacture. For our car that was only EURO4, but ours was EURO5 a year earlier than legally required, so it was worth doing the extra paperwork.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I'm in western France at the moment, and expect to be here for several weeks. Talking to locals (mostly ex-pats, some of whom run local cars) I get the feeling that there is a lot of hype with little substance - so far. Rurals don't seem to be a problem either with crit d'air stickers or idp's. In the cities it's a different ball game, obviously, but in the rurals where I drive nobody seems bothered.

If I return post Brexit I am just wondering if the authorities will let me back into the UK, without even a green card, which will certainly be needed from 30th March on! French can be very forgiving, or they can quickly get extremely militant! Watch this space.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I'm in western France at the moment, and expect to be here for several weeks. Talking to locals (mostly ex-pats, some of whom run local cars) I get the feeling that there is a lot of hype with little substance - so far. Rurals don't seem to be a problem either with crit d'air stickers or idp's. In the cities it's a different ball game, obviously, but in the rurals where I drive nobody seems bothered.

If I return post Brexit I am just wondering if the authorities will let me back into the UK, without even a green card, which will certainly be needed from 30th March on! French can be very forgiving, or they can quickly get extremely militant! Watch this space.

If you keep your eyes peeled you'll see smoke ahead from the burning barricades should they kick off. You can then take a diversion.

Reminds me of the time the bloke wot shot the pope was harnessing support from students to picket the main entrance to the poly (now uni) I attended on day release. No one shall pass. At tea break in the refectory he couldn't understand how we had got through the barricades. We used the workshop entrance at the rear of the campus. Full time higher edumacation has not been great at teaching practical application of learning ;):p:cool:

OP
C

Christian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 AMG Edition, Panasonic washing machine :)
In relation to France, this story is just untrue. There are certain cities, who on certain days (very very few per annum) when the pollution is expected to be high, will only allow Crit'air stickered cars into the centre.

So unless you expect to drive into within the périférique in Paris, for example, this is a non issue.

Think it's better to safe than sorry.
Yes them regulations are a bit vague here'n'there but them fines makes me want to be ahead of them. I just cannot afford those silly fines. I registered and paid for all these so I am safe.
My intention was to help others which are maybe not aware of this matter...but you can tell me off :)
I love you too ! :)

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W247 AMG B200 (2020), A160 (2009) CLK270 (2005) SL230 Pagoda (1964, long gone)
This is the same problem we had. You need to scan and send them the 'Certificate of Conformity' which for our car was in a yellow wallet in with the handbooks etc.
Otherwise, they will place your car in the class that was the legal minimum for the year of manufacture. For our car that was only EURO4, but ours was EURO5 a year earlier than legally required, so it was worth doing the extra paperwork.

Oh well, couldn't find that yellow wallet so sent the V5 scan of the main page info., and calculated from year of manufacture it was Euro 4. Will now wait to see if it's all returned as 'incomplete' or something

Dell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 B class Exclusive Plus B180
Sticker arrived today yellow with 2 on it.

Top Bottom