New Family Mercedes

300SL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 W216 CL63 AMG
As my wife crashed our family car, a Mercedes ML300 CDi, we have sold it and we our looking at a new family car. Seven seats is not needed but I thought about the new ML but I have thought about a change. It would the thrid ML we have had in a row. If it were to be a saloon, it would have to be an E-Class at least.

Engine wise it would be a diesel (I know, boring) but a V6 would be nice. Most likely it will be from new or a car with only a few 1000 miles on the clock.

Has anyone got any suggestions for the new car?

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=9873&page=4

At the bottom of the link is the crashed ML300 CDi.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I would bear in mind that according to DofT data you are 50 times more likely to survive a crash in a 4x4 than in the average car. And the top four for safety include the ML. Great cars. Low mileage old model 350cdi Sport ML's are good value at the moment and with 0-62 in around 7 seconds I find them plenty fun enough.

pipmk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi Sport cabriolet
I would bear in mind that according to DofT data you are 50 times more likely to survive a crash in a 4x4 than in the average car. And the top four for safety include the ML. Great cars. Low mileage old model 350cdi Sport ML's are good value at the moment and with 0-62 in around 7 seconds I find them plenty fun enough.

The DofT figures do not show how many accidents are caused by the "get out of my way,I'm (badly) driving a tank" behaviour of too many 4x4 drivers.
Seriously how many of these drivers need or use the ability to climb Snowdon and how many merely have them as p%%%s substitutes?

If you practice defensive driving your vehicles crash survival ability will not be needed, if you don't a Challenger Tank won't help you.

"The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys" Sad but true, for many men today its about show not actions.

OP
300SL

300SL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 W216 CL63 AMG
I never thought about safety even though the car was crashed. What about the GL? I would assume that is safe, if not, even safer than an ML.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I never thought about safety even though the car was crashed. What about the GL? I would assume that is safe, if not, even safer than an ML.

Very nice if you want 7 seats but it is a big beggar to park. If you don't need 7 seats the ML has at least as much room in the front and back, and the same engines, for a deal less money.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Seriously how many of these drivers need or use the ability to climb Snowdon and how many merely have them as p%%%s substitutes?

Most cars have abilities way beyond what most of us use. Speed limit in UK is 70 which you can do in a Mini -even in the old Mini- yet most of us buy cars that do well over 100 mph.

Most 4x4's are designed nowadays to be good on road and are roomy estate cars with a style that many like. Why not? Very few people allow purely functional needs to rule their lives. If we did, sports cars, high heeled shoes and the mini skirt would all have died the death. What a sad world that would be.

OP
300SL

300SL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 W216 CL63 AMG
It is a hard choice. Parking won't be an issue. I think I most likely will have another SUV to be honest - it is just a car for everything really.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
It is a hard choice. Parking won't be an issue. I think I most likely will have another SUV to be honest - it is just a car for everything really.

I agree. SUV's do it all and in some style.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Do remember that most 4x4's have crap Braking distances compared to "normal" cars...
Maybe thats why they are built like tanks..To survive what they cant avoid !

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Do remember that most 4x4's have crap Braking distances compared to "normal" cars...

Anything well over 2 tons will be hard to stop and also hard to manouver sharply at speed. Higher centre of gravity has its negatives too but the higher driving position brings visibility benefits which can work for crash avoidance. Any 4X4 owner should be aware of this and not drive them like sports cars.
I like the clearance, the ease of entry/exit and the towing/load capacity, apart from the overall body/chassis strength advantages. Economy is not one of the strengths though, compared to a lighter, smaller sedan....

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

Do you have any figures to back that up? Certainly not true of the Mercedes 4x4's.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom