New Member E Class Power Steering

Martin Reeves

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E Class 220 CDI Saloon 2011
Recently purchased E Class 220CDI W212 Saloon 2011 which I am happy with, my only question is about the steering, it doesn,t feel that free, and to me it seems heavier than other vehicle i've owned, but not heavy like its got no power steering. I checked fluid level , tyre pressures and checked the build sheet to see if it has (Speed Sensitive Power Steering ) which hasn't . And wonder if any of you guys have any ideas. Thanks

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Is it heavy during slow manoeuvring?. My 212 steering has a strong self centre bias at speed but you soon get used to it

Ben Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204/C-class/2012/2.1 Twin turbo diesel (C250)
Hi,

It could be that your previous car used electric power steering/motor driven power steering which require a lot less effort than hydraulic power steering which is what you have on your E class.

What was the previous car?

philreed52

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
270clk
Recently purchased E Class 220CDI W212 Saloon 2011 which I am happy with, my only question is about the steering, it doesn,t feel that free, and to me it seems heavier than other vehicle i've owned, but not heavy like its got no power steering. I checked fluid level , tyre pressures and checked the build sheet to see if it has (Speed Sensitive Power Steering ) which hasn't . And wonder if any of you guys have any ideas. Thanks
I have a 2005 270 clk and after we bought it I thought steering heavy compared to our other car a Subaru Impreza . My daughter drove Subaru and commented that it was like a roller skate and steering too light !!
Still not convinced had tracking re set and the steering was better .My garage says it fine just got big tyres and heavy car but tracking was a bit out.
2 years later feels ok guess I have got used to it ,dont use Subaru that much now but when I do ..... it feels like a roller skate!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
212's without parameter steering are hard at low speeds by nature.

Also 212's with parameter steering are hard at low speeds when the SPS valve is stuck :)

OP
M

Martin Reeves

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is it heavy during slow manoeuvring?. My 212 steering has a strong self centre bias at speed but you soon get used to it

Its not heavy, just feels like theres resistance

OP
M

Martin Reeves

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have a 2005 270 clk and after we bought it I thought steering heavy compared to our other car a Subaru Impreza . My daughter drove Subaru and commented that it was like a roller skate and steering too light !!
Still not convinced had tracking re set and the steering was better .My garage says it fine just got big tyres and heavy car but tracking was a bit out.
2 years later feels ok guess I have got used to it ,dont use Subaru that much now but when I do ..... it feels like a roller skate!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yep, you may be right.

OP
M

Martin Reeves

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
212's without parameter steering are hard at low speeds by nature.

Also 212's with parameter steering are hard at low speeds when the SPS valve is stuck :)

Thats very interesting . Thanks

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Because steering feel is so subjective, probably the only way to tell is to try a similar car and see how that feels. If you bought from a dealeer they may be able to help. Perhaps, if you’ve been used to front wheel drive cars, the steering feel may be different?

Edit... just a thought, which may be way off the mark, but is the carpet, or any other obstruction, hindering the bottom of the steering column inside the car?

Last edited:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom