New member looking for advice

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Hi,
My name is Andy, I wanted to join this forum in the hope that I can get some useful friendly advice on my next car.
My brief history is, been driving company cars for 14 years and have no moved to car allowance. All my cars have been typical rep cars, nothing special.
I'm now looking around for something a little older, but a nice drive, fairly quick, and something that I can live with as a daily drive.
I'll be honest I have been looking at BMW and AUDI, but have always liked Merc, as they have a sporty but elegant look to them. From what I can see the 2012+ C250 CDI seems to tick a few boxes, my only concern with them would be DPF, like on all modern diesels.

I will post a new thread on this as soon as I can.

Looking forward to reading other posts and receiving advice. If I do come to purchase a Mercedes I will defo sign up to this forum.

Last edited:

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Welcome Andy, plenty of helpful people on here.

The C250 is a decent so when you find one post a link for advice from forum members.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi and welcome . I think the question with diesel is going to be , how long do you intend to keep it , and what mileage you will be doing . If it's short journeys with no long runs then yes a dpf should be a concern .
I suppose the dpf worry should also be considered if you are buying a second hand car that has done low miles that haven't been dpf friendly .

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
As above, your driving profile and the driving history of previous owners will have a major impact on the DPF.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks all, my history with my previous car was low miles, this was because I had issues with the tiny front seats. It was a 116d. Did about 7000 miles in the year I had it.
If I had a diesel again and it was a car that I liked driving it would be used more, but probably no more than 10-12k a year. I intend to keep the right car for a few years. Unless there was reason to sell, which I cannot think of right now. Would the c250 CDI just need a few motorway miles a week to keep the DPF happy?

I will open a new thread now.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks all, my history with my previous car was low miles, this was because I had issues with the tiny front seats. It was a 116d. Did about 7000 miles in the year I had it.
If I had a diesel again and it was a car that I liked driving it would be used more, but probably no more than 10-12k a year. I intend to keep the right car for a few years. Unless there was reason to sell, which I cannot think of right now. Would the c250 CDI just need a few motorway miles a week to keep the DPF happy?

I will open a new thread now.
Yes I would think so , a motorway run a week should allow the regen process to work .

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes I would think so , a motorway run a week should allow the regen process to work .
Are there ever any indications that a regen is required?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. If it's any consolation my previous C Class was a C220 diesel and I also only do about 7,000 MPA and it gave me no issues at all. I have only gone petrol this time because of the lobby against diesel. :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I would either go for the 250 Petrol for above reasons or a 350d - great engine .....I think J Bells parents have a 250cgi estate for sale at the moment iirc?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I would also get a petrol model if doing under 10k miles pa.
Slowly but surely I think cities are going to start to impose a diesel tax when driving into their "zones" much like London is doing.
Any excuse for extra revenue will fall on diesels and big gas guzzlers like mine.
Something to bear in mind if keeping the car for a while.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. If it's any consolation my previous C Class was a C220 diesel and I also only do about 7,000 MPA and it gave me no issues at all. I have only gone petrol this time because of the lobby against diesel. :)
Thanks for the info. I think this is reflected in the price as well. What are the 1.8 petrol engines like?

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would also get a petrol model if doing under 10k miles pa.
Slowly but surely I think cities are going to start to impose a diesel tax when driving into their "zones" much like London is doing.
Any excuse for extra revenue will fall on diesels and big gas guzzlers like mine.
Just a shame the petrol engines are not as cheap as the diesel.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Thanks for the info. I think this is reflected in the price as well. What are the 1.8 petrol engines like?
It has sufficient grunt for me, but I am not any sort of boy racer. I have had my moments in the past but that is now in the past, I think the official 0-60 is 9.1 seconds. You are not going to win a Grand Prix but it's not bad.

On a run it will return about 39 mpg which I am happy with. Unlike the 220 diesel it is a nice quiet engine which does suit me better. Overall I personally much prefer the 1800 petrol engine. :)

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul

Sad - because I am a diehard diesel man - but regrettably the writing is on the political wall and I am now looking round for a petrol machine to add to the diesels I've got, so that when the time comes to say farewell to at least one of them it will not be too much of a wrench.
Unfortunately I am not alone in this thinking. Botus might feel differently!

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sad - because I am a diehard diesel man - but regrettably the writing is on the political wall and I am now looking round for a petrol machine to add to the diesels I've got, so that when the time comes to say farewell to at least one of them it will not be too much of a wrench.
Unfortunately I am not alone in this thinking. Botus might feel differently!
I've driven diesel only for the 14 years, and will miss the low down grunt. I was looking forward to 200bhp diesel with tons of torque.!!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I’ve had my diesel for almost 8 years and have done around 8k miles a year. So don’t get too concerned by low mileage but look at what sort of mileage. We use my wife's Mini as our daily run around so the Merc usually does longer runs and I have had no DPF problems (and I hope I don’t now regret putting that in writing!)

Like you, the low down torque of a diesel suits my driving style but I must say I will be seriously considering a petrol engine when I replace this car.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
PS - I forgot to say, welcome to the forum!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I've driven diesel only for the 14 years, and will miss the low down grunt. I was looking forward to 200bhp diesel with tons of torque.!!
Why limit yourself to 200? Get a 350, remap it to 300+...

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom