1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New member needs help rear tailgate wiper not working

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by jhughe45, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jhughe45

jhughe45 New Member

Your Mercedes:
    2003 c220 cdi estate
    Hi i have a 2003 c220 cdi estate and the rear wiper has stopped working,about 3 months ago it would not stop on a journey down to Wales and i had to pull the relay out in the fuse box behind the first aid kit.I replaced relay when i got home and it worked fine,the wiper started going slow a few days ago seems to be labouring suddenly it just stopped.,i'm a novice as far as cars go but am willing to learn.Would appreciate any help i can get cheers.

2. Lugy

Lugy New Member

Your Mercedes:
    W201 2.5-16
    I don't know these particular cars (new to Mercedes), but I'd say it could be either the motor starting to die or the linkage getting a bit stiff. Start by getting the trim panel off the boot so you can get inside and have a look. Finally, check the fuse for it, if the motor is labouring too much then it might have drawn too much current.

3. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Hello and welcome to the forum, I would have thought that the self parking has failed in the wiper

4. OP
    jhughe45

jhughe45 New Member

Your Mercedes:
    2003 c220 cdi estate
    Thanks for your help,have removed trim and checked supply to unit all ok took apart wiper unit lots of **** inside cleaned gear mechanism still not working,looks as if you are right malcom is there any thing i can do about the self parking or do i need a new wiper unit?

Jeff

5. Cole@MBS

Cole@MBS Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    124 300 CE 24 Coupe, 209 240 CLK
    Sounds like the relay was the start of the fault, try another and see if that works!

6. Lugy

Lugy New Member

Your Mercedes:
    W201 2.5-16
    Did you try testing it while it was out too? IE putting a 12v supply over it.

7. Rappey69

Rappey69 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    c220 w204 amg sport
    i bought my car and the rear wiper did not work.
    Took it apart and found the brushes were sticky, not making contact so the rain worked its way down the wiper spindle seizing up the mechanism over a period of time.
    Managed to snap 5 teeth off the large plastic cog too.
    De-seized mechanism, freed up brushes and cut a piece of plastic to glue into large cog, cut new teeth and it now works lovely.
    the motor casing comes off fairly easy so you can check the brushes (if you hav,nt yet)

8. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    OK the relay supplies the power to start it, if the relay stuck, or self held then the wiper could not stop, once the relay has opened, then its down to the parking contacts to open and stop the motor.

My big worry here is that it is all CAN controlled from the rear SAM