New member (newbie) looking for a W203

Which W203 C-Class should I get?

• Total voters

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350cdi (C218) 2012 / OM642
Hi all, I am looking to be a first time C-Class owner, primarily looking for CDI C-Class W203 from £2-3k. I thought it would be great to join the community, get a few tips of what to look for and use my experience with the car I get to drive my contributions to the community. :cool:

Any initial advice? I think ideally I am looking for a 100k milage, C270 CDI .

Thanks all,

Si

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Sensible choice of car, and reasonable parameters. :D

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
either the 270 or the 220 are great cars. my dad and myself between us owned a C220cdi for almost 12 years without any real issues to speak of (things you expect from a long term owned diesel, such as glow plug failures etc)

with that sort of budget, go for as late a car as you can. ideally a post facelift as that was around the point (late 2004/early 2005) where the buid quality was improved and they didnt rust as badly. earlier cars rust well, but its pretty much cosmetic although it will affect literally EVERY panel pretty much. all wheelarches, front wings where they meet the bumper, rear quarterpanels where they meet the bumper, door bottoms, boot lids around the number plate recess area etc, bonnet front edges are the main points on an early car.
mine was an early one, 2001 registered, sold around a year ago and yes i still regret it but at the time it had to be done.

i will say though that 100k miles is quite low for a diesel car of that sort of vintage (even the newest 203s are almost 9 years old now) so whilst not impossible, finding a diesel with such relatively low mileage may take some careful searching. good luck.

Last edited:
OP
th3h1ghlander

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Sensible choice of car, and reasonable parameters. :D

Thanks for the quick welcome. I figure that if I can find one without rust, with FSH that is still running now (with no error codes) it should have beat the electrical issues and be a reliable and comfortable motor :roll:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
speaking from personal experience, ithe only real electrical issues i can think of were the issues of people using the car to jump start other cars and the electrical surge blowing the SAM, but im sure that issue was pretty much sorted at the time of the facelift, possibly before that even.

find a good example, buy it and enjoy it. in all the time we had ours, we never even CONSIDERED that it may not start one day. because it always DID. it might have looked like a 70s fiat rust wise, but in all that time it never let us down. in fact i think i only ever changed 3 bulbs on the car in the entire time we had it! and 1 of them was because i broke it when changing another one!

OP
th3h1ghlander

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cheers for the tips! If I can find one that looks clean (no rust or has been rust repaired) for 100-130k then it should last me a few years without (too) much cost (I hope). I guess I am bored/sick of owning cheap and crappy euroboxes and I want something a little more comfortable and stylish.

(looking for an Auto only mind you)

Just got an ELM327 OBDII code reader to take on car viewings/test drives to help spot possible issues. Hopefully seeing the first of the cars I am interested in on Friday

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
auto boxes also seem pretty reliable. i had manual boxes because i really dont get along with autos. its a personal thing.

OP
th3h1ghlander

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pete, Thanks again for the quick reply. I do love a manual but wife needs and auto and I have got used to them (really help in the london traffic)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pete, Thanks again for the quick reply. I do love a manual but wife needs and auto and I have got used to them (really help in the london traffic)

yes i agree they do make sense in places like London. im lucky. i barely ever see a traffic jam, so i can enjoy the manual. and it keeps my arthritic joints working!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Early autos had the Valeo radiator problem, where the transmission cooler was inside the main radiator, leaks developed allowing coolant into the ATF with subsequent torque converter failure! A post facelift (2004->) should be OK.

Check that kickdown works and car will rev above 3k - if not, probably MAF replacement needed.

Check that engine temperature gets up to 80+C, if not thermostat needs replacing.

Listen for knocks from the front suspension going over potholes etc - ARB bushes (these days complete ARB as the centre bush is bonded on) and rose joints.

I had all of the above except the Valeo problem on my 2001 S203 C270, intended to keep the car for years but got tempted by the S204 we now have!

PaulN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 2003 3.2
Ive just picked up a C320 Coupe... my Mercedes Indy says they are quite rare having that engine in the coupe.....

2003 98k miles everyone says its mint... but having an eye for detail, with the wheels and a couple of marks on the paint work sorted it wont be far off.

Wish the Tank was bigger lol, love the auto and cruise control.

Paul

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Ive just picked up a C320 Coupe... my Mercedes Indy says they are quite rare having that engine in the coupe.....

2003 98k miles everyone says its mint... but having an eye for detail, with the wheels and a couple of marks on the paint work sorted it wont be far off.

Wish the Tank was bigger lol, love the auto and cruise control.

Paul

Great choice Paul. Any pictures? :-D

OP
th3h1ghlander

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Chrishazle: Cheers for the tip on the kickdown (good time to listen for the anti-roll-bar noises too), I will check that out, along with the engine temp. The possibility of gearbox failure is the one that really worries me as I had read about that, but if the car has made it to 120k miles I would hope this shows it isn't a car that would develop that issue, any idea if there was a common mileage that this problem was normally seen by? Most of the cars I am looking at are pre-facelift at the moment, post face-lifts are either more pricey or gone (or not well looked after). I have asked about 3 facelifts, all were under offer and when I called back all were gone by the next day...they seem popular. :idea:

OP
th3h1ghlander

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
PaulN: I am looking for a little more on the MPG front as well hence looking at the CDIs but would like the 270 as it still has a bit of poke. The 320 has similar MPG to my current (if I am lucky I will get 250 miles to the tank, if I am careful I can get 320), so I feel your pain, but at least your car is drinking in style ;)

PaulN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 2003 3.2
PaulN: I am looking for a little more on the MPG front as well hence looking at the CDIs but would like the 270 as it still has a bit of poke. The 320 has similar MPG to my current (if I am lucky I will get 250 miles to the tank, if I am careful I can get 320), so I feel your pain, but at least your car is drinking in style ;)

lol Ive just checked and ive filled it up 6 times since 20th Feb........Getting 300 to 340 mile to the tank about 53-56 litres.

Ive roughly done 1800 miles!!!!!

Lol Love the drinking in style... Litre of petrol is cheaper than a litre of milk :rolleyes:

OP
th3h1ghlander

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All, cheers for voting so far :)

OP
th3h1ghlander

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If anyone is still interested in this thread, I used all your advice and consideration and i am now the proud owner of a C-Class C270 CDI
Interested in seeing a link?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
definitely! no good having a thread without pics!

congratulations

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom