New member with hopefully an old problem.

AndyMAcfarlane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1992 190E
Hello folks! Nice to be here!
I just thought I'd ask a wee technical problem. I recently bought a 190E (1992 model) from a friend of mine. It runs great most of the time, but... now and again the power just drops. As if I'd taken my foot off the accelerator. And I can get it to "reset" so-to-speak by turning the ignition key off and on a click. When it starts happening it usually keeps happening until I stop her and try later on. I once made it 100miles home on the motorway using this trick and swearing. (I HAD to get home)
I have replaced OVP and fuel rump relays, my mechanic has changed the spark-plugs and says the fuel filter is relatively new and clean. Strangely though, that's the 2nd time I've changed the spark-plugs in 6 months and what with Covid restrictions, I haven't been driving much.
Obviously this problem doesn't show up when I take it to my mechanic so he's got no idea where to start.
Any suggestons?

andrew056

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 SL320 gone but not forgotten , 2004 240 CLK cabrio, 2006 ML 320cdi gone, GLC AMG 43
It sounds to me as if it could be the ignition control module breaking down , it can only really be lack of fuel or lack of sparks and as it resets that would indicate an electrical problem.
Good luck Andrew

OP
A

AndyMAcfarlane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1992 190E
It sounds to me as if it could be the ignition control module breaking down , it can only really be lack of fuel or lack of sparks and as it resets that would indicate an electrical problem.
Good luck Andrew
Cheers! I'm over in italy so I'll translate that as best I can for my mechanic!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have you checked the ignition switch itself? If you have a bad contact the simple switching off and on may be enough to remake the contact which then eventually unmakes again and so on.
If you have a heavy bunch of keys try removing them just leaving the ignition switch and see if that helps.

OP
A

AndyMAcfarlane

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1992 190E
Have you checked the ignition switch itself? If you have a bad contact the simple switching off and on may be enough to remake the contact which then eventually unmakes again and so on.
If you have a heavy bunch of keys try removing them just leaving the ignition switch and see if that helps.
Interesting point. The problem surfaced the day after my keys would'nt turn in the ignition and had to do some serious jiggling of keys and locked steering wheel to finally release them. I never thought to link the two events together. And yes, I do have a rather heavy bunch of keys and keyring.
I luckily have a whole new ignition barrel and set of keys too.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom