L77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
280SLK
Good afternoon, I have recently aquired a MB SLK 280 on an 06 plateThe car still had a month to run on the original MB warranty and I was supplied with a full 12 month warranty top up when I bought the car, after a few months I have noticed a few issues with the car and approached the dealer only to be told that thes issues are not covered by the warranty.
Let me explaine what the problems are and maybe some one could be in a position to offer me some advice.

1 The offside rear quarter lite window is not sealing properly and needs to be adjusted, at the moment I am having to pull the window into its full positionto make the seal surely this must be classed as a fault.

2 There has been a knocking or clunking noise comming from just behind the drivers seat sort of at shoulder level sounds like something is loose in the car body its self, again its not covered in the warranty and I have to pay for a diagnosis and if ITS found as a fault only then will a warranty situation occur.

3 The nearside light cluster some times has condensation on the inside of the lens... I thought this should be sealed .... Is this the case?

Please if any one can help or advise me on this I would be very gratefull, and if any one can tell me is this MB warranty that I have really worth having?? I ask this question as it was asked of me if I woul lke to extend the cover for longer than the 12 months offerd.

Look forward to hearing from fellow members

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Hi and welcome to the forum. Points 1 and 3 should definitely be sorted under any warranty, point 2 on goodwill from the dealer you bought it from. IMHO of course.

Did you buy the car from MB and is your warranty MB or aftermarket?

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Welcome to the forum. I think point 1 is easily fixable by resetting electric windows. Senior member should give you information on this.

Your dealer should fix all 3 for you and you shouldnt accept that it is not covered under warranty. Thats obviously if you bought the car from MB and not a private dealer

OP
L

L77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
280SLK
Warranty Issues

Hi thanks for the prompt response... The car was bought at an MB main dealer and the warranty is what they have supplied.. I will get it out and check to see what it says.

I did forget to mention that the knocking noise seems to disappear when the roof is down.. That would suggest to me that there is something potentialy loose on the mechanism.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
L77 I am sure slk owners will post with more useful information as I am not fully aware of the issues on your cars.

You should however make the dealer sort them out as they should take full responsibility on these issues

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The knocking of the roof is a warranty claim, you cannot drive with that. The side windows too should be fixed, the rear light they may argue over, but they should fix it.

Welcome to the forum

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
As for the others, these are all items I would expect a dealer to rectify under the warranty.

The dealer obviously has a keenly developed sense of humour. On one hand he disqualifies these items from the warranty cover, whilst at the same time trying to sell you more (expensive) warranty. What a twit!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have the fix for the clanking roof on a 230 but not for a 170/171:(

OP
L

L77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
280SLK
Thanks for your feed back Malcolm, I will be in touch with MB during the week will see what happens.

Steve

djb

Reaction score
3 The nearside light cluster some times has condensation on the inside of the lens... I thought this should be sealed .... Is this the case?

re the above

I had an indicator in mirror go the same way, replace immediately, with apologies, ok car was under a month old, but same dealer replaced 4 alloy rims and set of bolts with the previous car at 3 years old.

ps I think only totally glass sealed beam units are totally sealed, however others will know better.

If lens not damaged or cracked I would expect it to be replace or at least dried to determine where the water gets in from.

Last edited:
OP
L

L77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
280SLK
Good news I have been in contact with MB duing the week they have had the car in and dealt with each of the issues. All is now as it should be a rattle free SLK with a window that seals and a rear light cluster that should no longer get condensation inside.

I have to thank The service manager at Mercedes Benz Hudersfield for helping me get these issues resolved..

A very BIG Thank You
Also I would like would like to thank the MB members that encouraged me to persue this.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Result and another good news story. Now post some pictures. :D

johno2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32 AMG
Out of curiosity what was the knocking noise from the roof ?

OP
L

L77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
280SLK
Out of curiosity what was the knocking noise from the roof ?

From what I understand the knocking noise was caused by one of the locking catches on the roof mechanism failing to locate properly, that was how the technician explained it.

Once again Thanks to the team at Mercedes Benz Huddersfield

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom