New mot rules

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
We've had this discussion before. Reading through that link there is a lot of 'Journalistic interpretation' within the article. Whilst the Tests have been tightened up and the classifications altered, AFAIK, the primary Legislation has not been amended and little has changed in that respect.

If a vehicle was presented in a Dangerous Condition, then the penalty for such remains.

If presented early, and fails, the current MOT is still valid. There is nothing in the primary Legislation that allows for the duration of an MOT to be curtailed due to a 'Failure' prior to the expiry date.

Without looking it up again, one can drive a vehicle without a current MOT, "to and from a pre-arranged MOT". There is no stipulation in the Legislation as to distance.

Additionally, one can drive such vehicle "to or from a place of repair". Notably, there is no requirement for this to be 'pre-arranged' and one could quite legally 'hawk' the vehicle around a number of 'places of repair' to get best quotes/repair times.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, much of what appears on GOV.UK sites is written by 'Media' trained types, as opposed to 'Legally' trained individuals.

Where related, rather than using the GOV.UK site, I use the CPS site,

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Only if it had a serious defect I thought?
Pretty sure they couldn't force you to have it towed for a blown headlight for example.

They couldn't under the old or new rules. It's just that the new rules can include 'dangerous' as part of the reason for fail.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Only if it had a serious defect I thought?
Pretty sure they couldn't force you to have it towed for a blown headlight for example.

This reminds me a long time ago where I was mid changing bulbs (rears weren't bright and had taken them out) when garage rang to say they could give me a quote on a viscous coupling). Took it to the garage in broad daylight to get a quote for a viscous coupling while i waited. I saw the guy go under the car and then open boot and seemed very thorough so thought he was looking for work but fair enough if he wasn't going to charge. Then he gave me the quote and also demanded a tenner for changing the rear bulbs. I said I could do this myself, didn't authorise it, etc but he said his licence could be taken away from him if he allowed the car back on the road (in daylight 1 mile from home) without any rear bulbs and if I didn't pay he would only allow it out on a tow truck and he could order me a tow truck for 100.

Just goes to show any garage can try it on so any new categories might be abused as they assume that nobody knows the law. In the end I had no choice but to pay him the tenner as I had things to do, but I then booked it in for a viscous coupling and major service so he ordered all the parts and never turned up...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom