New N0x errors even after sensors changed

platforminc

Reaction score
Hi All.

I recently had my NOx sensors changed after I had errors come up on the dash, the new sensor has been in the car for 2 weeks and I am getting new errors.

The first errors I got are as follows.

P229F

After changing the 2 x N0x sensors, I now get the following error codes after long drives.

P220400 - The N0x sensor (Cylinder Bank 1) has a sporadic malfunction.
P229E11 - NOx sensor c (Cylinder Bank 1) has an electrical fault, there is a short circuit to ground
P220E777 - The heater of NOx sensor 1 (Cylinder Bank 1) has a malfunction. The commanded position cannot be reached.

Here are my observations.

The errors can now be cleared by my scanner, the first one I had prior to changing the 2 sensors my scanner couldn't clear it, only the STAR system could.
I have been reading that once the NOX sensors are changed, there ought to be a software update, can anyone shed some more light please. With regards to the software update, will MB do this for free or is it better to go to an indy ?

Thanks in advance.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just take it back.

MB provide warranty on their repairs and part replacements.

OP
P

platforminc

Reaction score
Its not MB that did the works, it was an indy. During the works, when the old sensors were taken out, they were stuck and as a result had to be taken out using heat. Replacing the sensor wasn't much fun either, a new threading had to be created to allow the new sensor sit in properly.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You're kind of in a world of pain as there are a number of different NOX sensors and different ones work with different engine management software...

The usual situation we see on the forum is car goes for software update to correct the emissions system - soon after the engine warning light comes on and new NOX sensors are required... I think it's V3 NOX sensors work correctly with the new software although that might have changed again now.

OP
P

platforminc

Reaction score
Ooh dear. This is not looking good. I went under the car yesterday and the Nox sensors used are OEM's and not the merc ones. IS it better to go to MErc for the software update or a proper merc Indy ? The car has gone on a long trip now, and i am sure the light will be on by the time it gets back, take it to merc or the indy with the lights on ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'd be going to a respected Indie with access to Xentry online and take it from there.

Roopert

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 C250 sport blue efficency
Hi All.

I recently had my NOx sensors changed after I had errors come up on the dash, the new sensor has been in the car for 2 weeks and I am getting new errors.

The first errors I got are as follows.

P229F

After changing the 2 x N0x sensors, I now get the following error codes after long drives.

P220400 - The N0x sensor (Cylinder Bank 1) has a sporadic malfunction.
P229E11 - NOx sensor c (Cylinder Bank 1) has an electrical fault, there is a short circuit to ground
P220E777 - The heater of NOx sensor 1 (Cylinder Bank 1) has a malfunction. The commanded position cannot be reached.

Here are my observations.

The errors can now be cleared by my scanner, the first one I had prior to changing the 2 sensors my scanner couldn't clear it, only the STAR system could.
I have been reading that once the NOX sensors are changed, there ought to be a software update, can anyone shed some more light please. With regards to the software update, will MB do this for free or is it better to go to an indy ?

Thanks in advance.
The emissions update can only be done by main dealer (so i have been told) and it is free, Google mercedes recall put in your Vin and it will tell you if your vehicle needs the update

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The emissions update can only be done by main dealer (so i have been told) and it is free, Google mercedes recall put in your Vin and it will tell you if your vehicle needs the update
I believe your information to be incorrect. Indies with xentry online can do Mercedes updates (although why you’d want to is another question entirely (and well covered on the forum))

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom