New owner- comments?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
No, not me but my Dad. Last Thursday he managed to write his old Citroen off by rear ending a car at a roundabout. He was here for dinner yesterday evening and expressed a liking for a Ford Focus as a replacement.

Well, 20minutes ago he called round with a 2001 C200K 69k miles which he paid £6,300 for earlier today:shock: Did I mention he is 85 next birthday?

I feel pleased for him as he has always made admiring remarks when travelling in my car, but he is an accident waiting to happen. His old car had a bang on every panel and he has accrued 9pts by driving too fast. He is simply a dreadful driver.
I congratulated him on his purchase and he was like a dog with two d1cks, but I really feel its only a matter of time before he has his next accident.

How do any members feel given that situation? Should I insist he goes back to the dealer and try to exchange the car for something more muted or should I give him the thumbs up whilst saying be careful?

Parents eh?, what do you do with them;)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i think at that age, you should let the old boy enjoy his driving for as long as it lasts. just tell him to be careful, and with luck it will be a nice car for as long as he needs it.

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
At least hes in a safe car!!!!

I hope so. I forgot to mention he reversed out of my driveway and managed to touch the garden wall with his front bumper. He didn't bat an eyelid!

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Do I somehow get the feeling he may have paid over the odds for it
also if you could post his routes on here i may be able to get my rusty wings replaced thanks to ur dad..

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Knowing my Dad, he probably didn't even do any haggling. I expect he paid well over the top, although I will say it did look in good condition even in the dark:)
I'll give it the once over in daylight and hopefully find nothing glaringly amiss.

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
also if you could post his routes on here i may be able to get my rusty wings replaced thanks to ur dad..

Hehe. Anywhere outside of his Poole postcode and he is lost. No Comand in the car either I noticed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I enjoy my SL500 Why not engage the limiter and not tell him, or engage it to 30 mph and remove the button

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I enjoy my SL500 Why not engage the limiter and not tell him, or engage it to 30 mph and remove the button

I wish it were that easy Malcolm. I fancy he would notice the limiter engaged and return it to the garage saying it had a fault!
I'm sure he will also enjoy his C200K, but the difference is, you are probably a good driver whereas he isn't.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I wish it were that easy Malcolm. I fancy he would notice the limiter engaged and return it to the garage saying it had a fault!
I'm sure he will also enjoy his C200K, but the difference is, you are probably a good driver whereas he isn't.

Then tell of the advantages of being an advanced motorist and get him to take a trial test

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I hope he enjoys it and if he's getting a buzz from it, then good luck to him.

On the other side, the fact that this shower stick gatsos and reduced speed limits everywhere whilst not insisting on some strict medical and driving test for the over 70's is criminal. I guess until someone sues the govt for criminal negligence when yet another OAP smashes into a pedestrian, we won't get the law changed.

I have an elderly relative that finally hung up his keys last weekend. He did so, after reversing out of a parking space on a busy shopping parade. Rather than gently reversing out into the single lane behind and driving out, he floored his nissan, which shot backwards, miraculously missing the pedestrians and cars that were all around him and wiped out the rear quarter and suspension on a concrete post. (Better than ploughing through the newsagents door I guess) The car is still there awaiting collection, sitting on its 3 remaining wheels.

Had a pedestrian been passing or a kid in a pushchair ....

Ok - he's realised and given up now, but he has clearly been driving for many years when his abilities were probably comparable to a teenager who's downed 10 pints - and we all know how we feel about them!
I shudder to think how many people with dementia, poor eyesight etc are driving around. Another relative only gave up when, after giving repeated assurances that he wouldn't drive, he was spotted by a cousin, travelling for 2 miles on the wrong side of the road. In desparation, we took his keys away and sold his car. Fact is that its almost impossible for families to deal with such things without causing a rift, as is the case for family doctors who must keep a working relationship. A mandatory driving test is really the only solution.

The AA said it was ok as OAPs only drive on roads they know.
So thats alright then.

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
I totally agree that there should be more legislation to stop these 'old boys' driving around. I am in no way against old people being on the road as there are some very good ones. However I do think there comes an age where they need to be 'assesed' in terms of health and ability.

My grandad was driving up untill a few months ago (aged 82) he did have the early signs of dementure which has now got a lot worse. He burn't the clutch out and was driving around with a post it note on the steering wheel after saying 'Keep Foot of the Clutch' kindly written by my Grandma. The car had no ends of scrapes from getting it in and out of the garage. It was my auntie that finally made him stop and wrote to the DVLA. It was sad but for the best - he was a head mechanic at Vauxhall for many years so there was something wrong with the fact that he was riding the clutch. I am glad that he has stopped as he could have caused a serious injury to himself or an innocent party.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Whatever your thoughts on an 85 year old driver in an MB, as Col has already said, at least his own personal safety has increased. (btw, I have seen Malcolm drive, so not all of our elders are bad drivers.)

*marky adds devon as a place to avoid*

Dogman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Subaru Legacy Spec B
My 81 year old dad has just bought a brand new Golf GTI with all the bells and whistles and huge alloys. He has finally got one after a succession of Volvos - my mum's prefered car choice for whatever reason.
The only reassuring thing is that he hardly does any miles at all, so as it is I am only slightly worried about him. Like other posters have said it is a difficult subject to tackle if you feel someone's driving ability is not as good as it should be. You also run the risk of being accused of ageism, or whatever-ism. I also don't want to spoil his fun.
All I know is I don't feel very safe when I'm in the car with him.
So there's me in the old W124 aged 40 years and the 81 year old boy racer in his bling GTI. :shock:

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
The chap acroos the road, who now 104, bought a new Honda Jazz for his 100th birthday.
Unfortunately not long after he pranged it and they took his licence away.
He still complains about it.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom