1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New owner - help with stability

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by Jason Robson, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Jason Robson

Jason Robson New Member

Your Mercedes:
    2019 A-Class SE Executive Auto
    New owner , new forum member. Apologies if this is in the wrong group.

Hello all!

I've an A-Class 2019 SE Exec Auto and have noticed some odd behaviour with (what I presume is) the traction/stability control. When driving around 40/50mph on country lines sometimes lorries coming the other way seem to send the car's electronics into a spin. I can feel through the wheel that the traction control has activated for a few seconds (I hear the 'clicks' also). The dashboard shows the image of a car (from the top down) along with a long red line down the left hand side. I presume this is the side of the car that has experienced the traction/stability issue.

Is this normal? It happens at times you'd expect to feel the car 'buffeted' by an oncoming vehicle (ie a lorry) - so is it just overly sensitive? Should I worry about this?

It doesn't half make me jump when it happens though - and I'm convinced the stability control activation does more to cause a dangerous situation than to avoid one. Can I turn this 'feature' off?

Other than that - lovely car!
    Jason.

2. Srdl

Srdl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253) Premium Plus
    Hi Jason and welcome.

I’ve not heard about this before but it doesn’t sound right to me. I do wonder whether this is something to do with Active Lane Keeping Assist and the car is reacting to white lines on the left hand side? I don’t have that technology myself but perhaps others will have a view.

Edit... just checked the online manual for your car and the red line down the side of the display is the Lane Keeping Assist so perhaps you should have a look in your manual or download the Mercedes Guides app and search for it on there.

Dean Fletcher likes this.
  3. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
  4. OP
    Jason Robson

Jason Robson New Member

Your Mercedes:
    Ah! yes I was focused on the traction control so didn't check out other possibilities (I did try and look in the manual! honest...) I don't think my driving is so bad that I am actually veering out of my side of the road so I'm thinking it is just getting a bit confused... I presume what I am feeling through the wheel is actually the lane assist 'warning' rather than as a result of ESP. I think I was overthinking it. I'll do some research (ie try to turn it off!)
    Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated,
    Jason.

Srdl likes this.
  5. AJD

AJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2012 W204 Sport ///AMG Line 4dr Auto, Obsidian Black, Light Grey Faux Leather. And no AMG badges !!
    Hi Jason, welcome to the forum :)

6. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    Hello and welcome

7. Srdl

Srdl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    To me it sounds more dangerous than helpful - I found this on another forum:
    https://www.aclassclub.co.uk/forum/.../12319-active-lane-keeping-assist-issues.html

8. OP
    Jason Robson

Jason Robson New Member

Your Mercedes:
    Thanks for the forum link. That's a very interesting thread indeed.

The more I read about it the more I think this is actually going to do more harm than good. My regular commute is along national speed limit single lane country roads (A272 in Sussex). It's definitely the case that a (large) vehicle coming the other way is somehow confusing the system in it's reading of the road (either it can't see the centre white line, or perhaps the left hand white marker suddenly becomes a hedge). As well as the steering wheel vibration I'm sure I did feel a 'tug' (which is why I initially thought this was traction/stability control related).

So anyway, I need to turn this function off. If I have to do it each time I start the car then so be it (it will be part of my start-up procedure along with putting the radio on 'mute' !).

Jason.

Srdl likes this.
  9. Srdl

Srdl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    A final thought Jason.... this over sensitivity could be a known issue and there may be a software update for it. It might be worth asking your dealer sometime.

10. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    19 Plate, I'd be all over the dealer like a bad suit - take them out for a drive and see what they think

NEIL HAYNES and Srdl like this.
  11. Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes e 250 coupe AMG 2009