New perspex for dials

graham17

Reaction score
I'm collecting a 54 C270 Elegance with Comand. All in all it's in good condition but...

There's crack in the perspex cover over the dials. I've tried to get the selling dealer to sort something out but he claims the whole instrument pod will have to come out and the cost will be £900 odd and he's already cut his margins to the bone etc etc etc. In the big scheme of things, not all that noticeable but I have a feeling it'll start to bug me. Anyone got any experience of swapping out the instrument pod or is it possible to attempt a repair (maybe using a donor unit from a scapped car?).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All you can do is to get a secondhand one and change the glass over

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
£900 to replace that, it takes mins to swap over, they have quote for the whole cluster!!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Thats crazy, breakers yard it is then!!

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Anyone got any experience of swapping out the instrument pod or is it possible to attempt a repair (maybe using a donor unit from a scapped car?).

I had to do that, a complete cluster cost me £20 from scrap yard. The cluster detaches into two halves.
Yours should be a similar set up to picture.

Dec
ClusterOpen.jpg

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Clusters are not serviceable, in fact they are stickered with a warning against opening as MB will not warranty against defects if opened.

That said it's very easy to replace the cowl, window and rear frame.

The frame and cover window is available from MB

A2035400223 @ £107

Could be A2035400323 so double check...

OP
G

graham17

Reaction score
Quick note to say thanks to all. Will do some more research at the breakers.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Quick note to say thanks to all. Will do some more research at the breakers.

Sorry for me saying no spare parts,,,these were added some years after production.

The new price of £107 is not too bad

OP
G

graham17

Reaction score
I think I've found the answer - I went to another branch of the supplying dealer armed with a part number and they quoted me £200 supply and fit (original dealer quoted £800 which I guess is another way of saying they're not interested). Once pressed on this, dealer number one says he'll get the job done before I collect the car. Probably means he'll still want a 50/50 split or something but there's a deal to be done. Worth persevering then. More to the point, it was well worth checking with the Forum. Thanks all.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I think I've found the answer - I went to another branch of the supplying dealer armed with a part number and they quoted me £200 supply and fit (original dealer quoted £800 which I guess is another way of saying they're not interested). Once pressed on this, dealer number one says he'll get the job done before I collect the car. Probably means he'll still want a 50/50 split or something but there's a deal to be done. Worth persevering then. More to the point, it was well worth checking with the Forum. Thanks all.

The £800 is for a full replacement cluster (thats what they cost) from someone who didn't know you could get the perspex separately. The £200 is for the perspex from someone who does know you can get them plus 1 hour at £100ph to fit it.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom