New to Automatic box, C220 Any tips?

gibsones135

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLA 250 4MATIC 2014
Hello all, I've just bought a C220 (CDI Estate on a 54 plate) so i'm all a bit new to this Mercedes malarky. I was just wandering if the wealth of knowledge out there could offer any tips on the automatic box? I've sort of played with the C/S setting ...and to be honest have not noticed a huge difference. When do these settings come into there own? Is there a benefit as far as fuel consumption goes ? Or should I just stick it in D and leave it there? Then of course there is the D1-D4 tiptronic (tiptronic?) option (oh dear! too many choices!!) Anyway, if anyone has any advice, particularly on the above or generally on autobox driving, that would be great. I have read all the threads on Park/Foot/Hand! brake Vs P position...very helpful. Thanks

PS. How do I keep cream leather and carpets clean?
( Sensible answers please:) )

Richard

North Cornwall.

jackwall5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C220 Cdi Automatic
Hi Richard,

Welcome again to this forum ...

I also drive an automatic and simply love it ... never go back to a manual by choice I think :D

Personally, I shift into 'D' when I start off and unless I need reverse on route, leave it there until I get out. I rarely if ever use 'N' and normally do not use the footbrake if parking on level ground.

I think I'd only ever would use the Tiptronic is special circumstanes like coming down a steep mountain for example.

C/S modes, [W/S in some models] makes some subtle changes in gear ratio. ........ I'd suggest you check the thread below as it may help answer many of your queries ... it's a bit long though so get your skim reading skills warmed up!

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=21890&highlight=automatic

Safe Driving

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello Richard and welcome to the forum

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=21890

Take a read of the above,sure its a long thread but you will know all by the time you get to the end.

Re the leather, by applying say Gliptone regularly this will keep most soiling to a minimum, and the floor mats help a lot and train the family to make sure that their shoes are clean. With children no drinks or food to be eaten in the car

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
Hi, pretty much what everyone else has already said.

One thing I would recommend to anyone that has never driven an auto before is that you put your foot on the brake pedal when you start the car as a precaution.

That way the car can't ever suddenly lunge forward.

Leave the car in 'S' setting all the time - That's standard mode

Put it in 'C' mode when it's slippery (like in the snow last week!) - That is Comfort mode. The car pulls away in second gear to stop wheel spin.

Never put it in 'Park' when you stop at traffic lights etc. If someone smashes into the back of your car, you will have a buggered gearbox to add to your misery.

Personally, I never use neutral either - I just leave my foot on the brake when stopped at junctions, lights etc.
I leave it in D and only ever use the tiptronic to knock it into 3rd sometimes before overtaking.

I also never really use the handbrake (except if I'm parked on a particularly steep road as precaution). Park keeps the thing from rolling away when stationery.

Last edited:

delboy777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W203, 220CDI Elegance Full Leather/Sat Nav
When i use "W" mode it seems to "soften" the throttle and the footbrake a little so they are not so harsh. And it changes up the box a little faster aswell.

OP
gibsones135

gibsones135

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLA 250 4MATIC 2014
Thank you all for your 'welcomes' and advice. The car was only delivered on Tuesday and I do believe I have fallen in love with it! The last car was a Renault Rx4 very nice but not in the same league as the C220. I can't stop smiling when I drive it. I'd still like a little more advice on the S/C dichotomy the hand book is not all that clear. Ta. Richard.

OP
gibsones135

gibsones135

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLA 250 4MATIC 2014
Just a quick one...How do I post pictures? Ta.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To post from a web host, just past the URL into the picture of the 2 mountains with the square in the corner.

To upload from your computer, click "manage attachments" below the post that you are answering on, then open say "your pictures" click on the picture that you want to use, and then click "upload", when done and OK the details will be in the box,, you can press "preview" to test

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you all for your 'welcomes' and advice. The car was only delivered on Tuesday and I do believe I have fallen in love with it! The last car was a Renault Rx4 very nice but not in the same league as the C220. I can't stop smiling when I drive it. I'd still like a little more advice on the S/C dichotomy the hand book is not all that clear. Ta. Richard.

S Standard is a standard 1st gear start, C Comfort is a 2nd gear start with lower rpm between the shift points.

If the car rolls back on a hill in S, then use the C and the sprag clutch will hold it

OP
gibsones135

gibsones135

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLA 250 4MATIC 2014
Thank you, it's all getting a little clearer...

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
Pretty much As Micmac.

The only time I use the parking brake is on a hill, to avoid "torque lock" on the tranny pawl.

On older auto's, in stop and go traffic, in hot weather, I do slip them into neutral when stopped, to cool the engine - takes some of the load off the motor, and you can blip the throttle to help the cooling system.

I use the tiptronic when merging with fast moving traffic - when full kickdown could stuff you into the rear end of a truck, but holding in 4th or 5th gear gives you similar control to a manual.

I use C in snow, but as you have noted, I haven't really found a big difference from S. Around town I use C mostly, and enjoy the resulting throttle lag, followed by a big whoosh of power!

I'm sure you will end p enjoying the automatic.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Pretty much As Micmac.

The only time I use the parking brake is on a hill, to avoid "torque lock" on the tranny pawl.

On older auto's, in stop and go traffic, in hot weather, I do slip them into neutral when stopped, to cool the engine - takes some of the load off the motor, and you can blip the throttle to help the cooling system.

I use the tiptronic when merging with fast moving traffic - when full kickdown could stuff you into the rear end of a truck, but holding in 4th or 5th gear gives you similar control to a manual.

I use C in snow, but as you have noted, I haven't really found a big difference from S. Around town I use C mostly, and enjoy the resulting throttle lag, followed by a big whoosh of power!

I'm sure you will end p enjoying the automatic.

I tend to do the opposite to you in town. Where I am likely to stop I put the car into S so I get 1st gear take off. This will mean the torque converter will slip less, meaning less wear on the torque converter and a smarter take off.

Once out of town I opt for C to give the lower shift points as I find if in "S" the car will take a lower gear rather than let me use the gear its in.

Your example of use of tiptronic is excellent, and just because a car is automatic shouldn't mean we should just select D and leave it. I sometimes manual intervene and take a lower gear for a corner, so the car is in the correct gear, and torque converter locked up giving proper engine braking just like in a manual.

I have barely used kickdown in my car, I find that full pedal pressure just before the kickdown point gives the desired effect just as well.

Once the OP gets used to their car, they'll find that the pressure on the fun pedal will help them change gear, for example you may be accelerating up to speed and want to change gear, a subtle decrease of pressure on the pedal will trigger the gear change without use of tip tronic.

Always use the foot operated parking brake, when parking select "N" and depress the parking brake, the car should be able to be held in "N" with this foot brake in. "P" should then be selected after, so the load of the car is held by the parking break, not the parking paul in the gearbox.

Left foot braking is handy for low speed manouvering, try and practice this. If the engine surges its quicker to move left foot onto the brake rather than move right foot from accelerator to brake and gives more control over the car when manouvering.

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
I tend to do the opposite to you in town. Where I am likely to stop I put the car into S so I get 1st gear take off. This will mean the torque converter will slip less, meaning less wear on the torque converter and a smarter take off.

Once out of town I opt for C to give the lower shift points as I find if in "S" the car will take a lower gear rather than let me use the gear its in.

Your example of use of tiptronic is excellent, and just because a car is automatic shouldn't mean we should just select D and leave it. I sometimes manual intervene and take a lower gear for a corner, so the car is in the correct gear, and torque converter locked up giving proper engine braking just like in a manual.

I have barely used kickdown in my car, I find that full pedal pressure just before the kickdown point gives the desired effect just as well.

Once the OP gets used to their car, they'll find that the pressure on the fun pedal will help them change gear, for example you may be accelerating up to speed and want to change gear, a subtle decrease of pressure on the pedal will trigger the gear change without use of tip tronic.

Always use the foot operated parking brake, when parking select "N" and depress the parking brake, the car should be able to be held in "N" with this foot brake in. "P" should then be selected after, so the load of the car is held by the parking break, not the parking paul in the gearbox.

Left foot braking is handy for low speed manouvering, try and practice this. If the engine surges its quicker to move left foot onto the brake rather than move right foot from accelerator to brake and gives more control over the car when manouvering.

You're right about a smarter take off in S, I just like the surge when the revs reach around 2000 and its already in 2nd. Probably wastes fuel though.

Can you wear out a torque converter? Just one fan chucking oil at another one:D

I find part throttle downshifts a bit slow on the 7speed, and sometimes it cycles down 2-3 gears, which makes it even slower. Hence use of tiptronic.

Thumbs up on left foot braking, I do it all the time - much better control, and quicker braking. Noticed a cabby doing it about 30 years ago and followed suit ever since.

Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some petrol cars like mine are a bit harder to get used to when using both feet, as if you have a foot on the brake this cuts all action from the throttle, so the lights go green and you push the pedal and nothing happens till your foot is oof the brake

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Take off in S does use less fuel, but if you enjoy the take off in C and the "surge" then stick with it :D

I've got the 5speed box, and with less gears to choose (than yours) the car is pretty quick to change down a gear when I increase throttle pressure....

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom