New to forum - some buying advce please

SL350?

Reaction score
Hi all – im new to this forum, but have been part of the BMWland forum for a while now. I am considering trading in the Beemer for a Merc. I am considering either the SL350 (2001/02) or SLK350 (2005). Are there any common faults with either car I should be aware of? Also I would welcome your comments on the SLK – I have heard that they are ‘ladies’ or ‘hairdressers’ cars, but would like to hear what you all think.

Hope to be able to post some new pictures here soon!!:eek:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Welcome

You have come to the right place. we have quiet a few SL owner who will give you all the advice your need!

If you can i would go for the SL500, more power and about the same MPG as the 350!!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi all – im new to this forum, but have been part of the BMWland forum for a while now. I am considering trading in the Beemer for a Merc. I am considering either the SL350 (2001/02) or SLK350 (2005). Are there any common faults with either car I should be aware of? Also I would welcome your comments on the SLK – I have heard that they are ‘ladies’ or ‘hairdressers’ cars, but would like to hear what you all think.

Hope to be able to post some new pictures here soon!!:eek:

Hello and welcome.

As S-A-M says, well worth looking at the SL500. Quite an uplift in power and probably not much difference in price. Fuel economy similar.

Robust cars with excellent handling. Very comfortable and, in my experience, very reliable. There should be a reasonable choice at present and there are certainly deals to be had.

The general tendency with MB is to put more goodies on the larger engined car, and only detailed comparison will reveal the differences between the 350 and the 500. The 350 you find may come with some or all of these features, but they would have been extras, so there is no guarantee. It will be interesting to hear of your choice - and what made the decision for you.

OP
S

SL350?

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so fat - keep them coming. What are servicing costs like? The 500 is def. an option I would consider.:p

OP
S

SL350?

Reaction score
:Oops:Dog - I mean far...:Oops:

OP
S

SL350?

Reaction score
And I mean Doh, not Dog... not a good day so far!!

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
... Also I would welcome your comments on the SLK – I have heard that they are ‘ladies’ or ‘hairdressers’ cars, but would like to hear what you all think.

Parkers description of the original R170 SLK as 'The definitive footballer's wife's car' was perhaps a glib summation of what was seen to be a rather limp-wristed 'roadster' compared with 'proper sports cars' like the Porsche Boxster and BMW Z4. With the advent of the R171 the image has hardened a lot, and it loses little in comparison with it's big brother SL - except price.

Personally I think the driving experience more important than the image, so see which you prefer

If you're worried about the lingering image, just think that onlookers will probably assume you're Wayne Rooney borrowing the wife's car.......

(Incidentally, I'm very happy with my old SLK320 regardless of what it might say about my masculinity or profession..... :))

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
The early SL350's are the older 3.7 v6. The main omission in the Sl350 vs Sl500 is ABC otherwise they are both highly specced cars as standard and many owners add options to them.

The Sl500 of this era is 300bhp, the 350 is only 40 or so BHP down and lighter so there isn't a massive performance margin but the 500 does generate more torque lower down than the V6, and most say it would sound better.

2001-2002 isn't the best era of quality benz wise, and it would be ideal if you could get into a newer SL than that. By 2005 MB cars were much better and although I say the SLK is a girly car (it is) it may be the better maintanence/reliablity proposition. I'd definately say you should source an 2001-2002 SL from a main dealer to get that approved used cover that may stand you in good stead, they are very complicated cars...

What BMWs did you drive/have. May help give us an idea of other MB's you may want to look at (CLK500's, CLK55's etc)

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom