New to Mercedes, new to the Forum

Jon Stead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Honda Accord, Renault Captur, Suzuki Burgman, Honda CB 500
Hi everyone

This is my first post on this site and I am sure you can assist me.

I have my eye on a 2003 (03), 270CDi, auto, Elegance, CLK wih 79k and it would appear all the "toys"! (Sat Nav, park sensors, heated memory seats etc etc)

I have heard about the Valeo radiator problems and the associated transmission problems but how do you tell if the car has this problem. I am a mechanical engineer by trade so assessing mechanical equipment is not a problem but I would appreciate some advice on what to look for.

I have only seen the car advertised recently and haven't actually viewed or driven it yet but I am hoping that it is still for sale when I get home next week. (I am currently at sea off the Indonesian coast - too hot!)

I would be more that happy to have the radiator changed for a Bauer? as suggested in this thread but I would like to be able to assess if the damge has already occurred or not.

The car is advertised as being from a "trade" seller but from the advert looks like a home trade seller as opposed to somebody with a dealer's premises so I am guessing any kind of a warranty is unlikely.

Can anybody advise any other things to look out for that this particular model is prone to?

Thanks in advance for any advice that may be received and could I just say what a great forum this seems to be! :thumbsup:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome :D:D If the car has a Behr rad it will have a label on the rad saying so, A car that has the problem will make a humming droning sound when pulling lightly at around 2600 to 2000 RPM.

If the car has a valeo rad then allow do it when you haggle over the price, A firm in Ireland sell the rads for £200 or there about.

Just listen for any clonks on the suspension, both back and front, if the car is built before 03-03 check for rust

OP
Jon Stead

Jon Stead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm thanks for the welcome and the advice.

As I say I ama way at the moment, due back in the UK on Friday, and I hope to go and view the car if it's still for sale. In the advert's photos it looks beautiful but you can never be sure until you see it in the flesh!

I've driven automatics before but never owned one so assessing the box's performance will be a bit tricky - I am hoping that if there is any damge caused by the Valeo radiator problem that it is obvious.

You mention a firm in Ireland selling replacement radiators for £200 and this would seem a wise move to make but can you tell me, assuming the car has one of these suspect Valeo radiators, if changing the radiator before any transmission faults show themselves, will give a high degree of future reliability. (Just read that back and it seems very long winded!). What I mean is if there is already contamination is it possible to save the transmission from future damage?

I saw a thread on here, or maybe another MB board, about testing the transmission fluid for Glycol, then draining, if glycol found, then flushing etc etc.

Of course this car may have already had all of this done and it would be a shame to repeat all of this but money well spent if it ensures the future reliability and avoid s expensive repair bills!

Could you also tell me, not having owned a MB before, what keys should there be. I know with my previous BMWs that you get two drivers keys, a valet key and a smaller cut down key that would fit in your wallet.

Thanks again

Chris

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
f the car had ever had a glycol leak then the humming and droning will still be there unless a new torque converter was fitted, you cannot flush it away. This fault did not happen on every car, just a few.

Cars come with 2 plastic keys, that have a metal key in the end, they cost £200 each

OP
Jon Stead

Jon Stead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that - two keys £200 each, welcome to the world of Mercedes Benz!

In fairness though I guess most manufacturers charge an aram and a leg for the "all singing all dancing " keys these days

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom