New tyres??? Which ones?

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Hello All,

Its time to change my tyres on CLK. I have 8.5 X 18 wheels all around and want to keep 225/40/18 at front but wondering if I could fit 255/35/18 at the back?

I have been told by my local Tyre company that I could have 255 at back on my car. Can anyone confirm if 8.5X18 be fitted with 255 at rear?

Secondly, I have come across some decent tyres but not sure which ones are good for value(obviously Fullrun Sound very reasonable at £53 per corner:lol:) but not sure if I should go for slightly higher end budget tyre?

Anyone had experience on any of the tyres from the link below?

https://www.tyredrive.co.uk/searchp...=18&tyreCsid=eb14de0ac040c9788baf72c4351392df

Many Thanks in advance

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Hello All,

Its time to change my tyres on CLK. I have 8.5 X 18 wheels all around and want to keep 225/40/18 at front but wondering if I could fit 255/35/18 at the back?

I have been told by my local Tyre company that I could have 255 at back on my car. Can anyone confirm if 8.5X18 be fitted with 255 at rear?

Secondly, I have come across some decent tyres but not sure which ones are good for value(obviously Fullrun Sound very reasonable at £53 per corner:lol:) but not sure if I should go for slightly higher end budget tyre?

Anyone had experience on any of the tyres from the link below?

https://www.tyredrive.co.uk/searchp...=18&tyreCsid=eb14de0ac040c9788baf72c4351392df

Many Thanks in advance

personally, id always go for a higher end budget, or mid range tyre. the cheap budget brands are ok on mileage but have dreadful wet weather grip, in my experience, or grip well and are worn out in a few k miles. its a balance they dont seem to have got right, which is why id go for a higher and budget tyre like kumho,for example, or a mid range tyre like toyo, for example, if you want to avoid the prices of the big hitters like goodyear and michelin

OP
SQ_W211

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I bought my wheels last year april and it had some very cheap budget tyres fitted and personally to date i haven't noticed anything wrng with handling, I do think they could stick a little more in wet but when the budgets are half the price and last a year and half, you dnt tend to complain too much. Even now they are not worn out only at the front the inside is gone which I will sort once fitted new tyres as I need to get the tracking done along with Camber Reset.

Thanks for your advise. I would probably prefer Falken 452's instead of Kumho if i was going for that sort of price range..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes you can have the 255 tyres on the rear with no problems on 8.5 j rims

OP
SQ_W211

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Thanks Malc, This should make the handling a lot better than it already is, but I guess i will see some drop on the Economy with 30MM wider tyres

Has anyone come accross makes like Fullrun or Enduro? They look very cheap and tempting.

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
I had the Kumho KU31's on my Jag and no complaints - Lasted +/- 20K, which is about the same as my previous Pirelli PZero's.

Just fitted Falken ZE912's and the seem to have more grip than the Kumho - not sure how long they'll last though as I've only done 10K since the change.

Last edited:
OP
SQ_W211

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Kumhos are slightly harder compound so they would last longer than Falken but Falken come with side wall protection which protects your wheels from kerbing.

I think with current economic climate i should save some money and go for the cheaper solutions.

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
I notice Toyo T1R's are on that list.

I'd recommend those without hesitation, wet grip is superb even on a cold wet morning before the tyre has warmed.

They do seem a little noisy, but unless you get several different makes and compare back to back thats difficult to value.

Seem to wearing reasonably, but to be honest the wet grip alone is worth several thousand miles to me and is my number one criteria for tyre choice for non winter use.

Have you checked our Camskills to see how their prices compare?

OP
SQ_W211

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
£4 cheaper....

I really dont want to spend £130 for a tyre and then £10- £15 for fitting etc...

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
Have you checked out Barum Bravuris2 or Avon ZV5? Quite cheap (well for the 225/50 R16 W anyway), but not sure how good on a merc..

(I'm in a similar situation looking for 3 new tyres - and currently non the wiser!)

:)

OP
SQ_W211

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Have you checked out Barum Bravuris2 or Avon ZV5? Quite cheap (well for the 225/50 R16 W anyway), but not sure how good on a merc..

(I'm in a similar situation looking for 3 new tyres - and currently non the wiser!)

:)
I will let you know on what i go for!!!

OP
SQ_W211

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Going for the wider aspect ratio rear will cause a slight decrease in the handling of the car, due to the sidewalls being wider and having more flex area, but you will hardly notice it.

It will give you the slight benefit of the tyre extruding beyond the wheel rim by 5mm each side of the rim, inner and outer, giving you a little bit more in potential kerb damage protection. Looks wider and well shod also.

I done the same and glad I did. It really sets off the staggered appearence between front and rear wheels.

Note, you cannot go wider on the fronts. The front tyre will rub on the McPherson strut. On mine anyway.

Try mytyres. Gives you the full price range on what is available for your size. I chose Nexens.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....10&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&sort_by=preis

Thank you for your opinion Jet Tech, I completely agree with you on the wider rear Tyre as it will give me better grip with a slight compromise on the handling. I am also aware that i can only go as wide as 225 at the front on our cars as that's all the spare there is.

I have found some Falken 452's for £98 + fitting at £111.

Thats sounds like a deal to me. I am getting them fitted today along with full wheel alignment and camber reset tomorow. Hopefully I will have better ride once I have spend good part of £400 but its needed for that crisp driving with no pulling etc. But i have to agree its needed more as I need wider tyres at back to fill those arches...:lol::lol::lol:

OP
SQ_W211

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Just to update, I was faced with wet conditions since the Falkens were fitted and WOW i was amazed at the grip and driving.

Falken really are very very good brand for tyres

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
I normally manage to get 20K out of Kumho KU31's on the rear (original Contis only did 15K). On one occasion they didn't have the KU31 in stock so I went for the Falken 452. Seemed to have plenty of grip but the ride was harder and I struggeld to get 10K. Needless to say I'm back on the Kumhos.

OP
SQ_W211

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Kumhos will last longer as they are harder compound but I dnt think falkens are louder than Kumhos though.

mattsurf

Reaction score
I had Avon ZZ3 on my W210 - Wet weather performance was brilliant, and grip was great too - mileage wasn't too bad, I got 19,200 miles from the rears and 33,875 from the fronts. When I changed the tyres, I had Falkens on the rear, when I changed the car they had already done 29,300 miles and still had life left in them, I had Toyo's on the front and they had covered 14,600 miles and were about 50% worn.

The Avons were great tyres for grip in the wet - puddles on the motorway were almost imperceptible. However, I had no complaints with the Falkens / Toyo combination and I never felt as though the grip was poor. I felt that the fuel economy dropped slightly with the Avons. In terms of cost I paid £305 including fitting for 4 ZZ3s, £110 for 2 Falkens and £125 for 2 Toyos

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
I wouldn't say the Falkens were any louder or quieter than the Kumhos. They just seemed to deliver a much firmer ride (possibly a stiffer side wall?). I couldn't fault the perfomance but 10K vs 20K is a no brainer when they cost about the same. If the Kumhos weren't available next time I'd probably go for the Contis as as the price per mile would probably be about the same as the Falkens i.e. Contis acheived 15K miles and probably cost 50% more than Falkens. I have the Sport set up with the 245 / 17 size on the rear if that makes any difference.

OP
SQ_W211

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I wouldn't say the Falkens were any louder or quieter than the Kumhos. They just seemed to deliver a much firmer ride (possibly a stiffer side wall?). I couldn't fault the perfomance but 10K vs 20K is a no brainer when they cost about the same. If the Kumhos weren't available next time I'd probably go for the Contis as as the price per mile would probably be about the same as the Falkens i.e. Contis acheived 15K miles and probably cost 50% more than Falkens. I have the Sport set up with the 245 / 17 size on the rear if that makes any difference.

Sidewall would have something to do with it as it is there to protect your alloys from kerbing.

I have had falken's on my GTI all the time but never really worried about the duration/mileage as the grip/quality was excellent and when you are changing from the likes of Yokohama, you will definitely see an improvement with any brand

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do something like 30K miles a year so the Kumho seems to be a good compromise i.e. 1.5 sets of rears against what would be 3 sets of Falkens. Tyre choice is very much a personal thing and depends on individual requirements.

Top Bottom