newbie advice - UK scrappage scheme

chigs23

Reaction score
Hi all

I am buying my dad a new C180 blue efficiency Sport. When I first asked the dealer if I could scrape my dads old car (pre 1999) for 2K under the new UK scrappage scheme. They said yes! and this can be used as part of the deposit.
However they then turned around and said as I am buying the car under the current finance officer 5.9% on the New Auto Sports, that I can’t use the offer in conjunction with scrappage scheme.
I have been doing some research on the web, and Mercedes UK say: Mercedes says it will offer other incentives in tandem with the scrappage scheme.
http://motortorque.askaprice.com/ne...009-mercedes-and-smart-sign-for-scrappage.asp
Has anyone else done this? Any advice appreciated.. Thank you.

popuptoaster

Reaction score
you'll probably be able to get 2 grand off in the current climate just by haggling ya know, and it'll save a perfectly good car from the crusher AND you'll still have the older one to sell on.

124coupe

Reaction score
Agree - you can get about 10% off the C and options just by haggling (or just use a web service like drivethedeal) AND get the finance deal.

Sounds like they are trying to get you to sign on the line before the scheme actually gets going (tomorrow).

Try another dealer?

There are several groups of dealers - Merc Retail (owned by Merc); Drayton etc.

Merc themselves have stated on their website:

"In addition to participating in the Scrappage Scheme, Mercedes-Benz has a wealth of attractive offers available – so customers looking to purchase a new car could secure a new vehicle with value contribution greater than the £2,000 Scrappage Scheme allowance."

The truth is:

There is £1,000 scrappage from the taxpayer with zero cost to the dealer - that's yours, no question.

There is manufacturer-subsidised finance at no cost to the dealer. That's also yours.

Then there's discount from the dealer margin. A quick search shows 10% to be available SO the question is purely how much of the dealer/Merc £1,000 from the scrappage scheme can you get in addition to the current offered discount? Somewhere between £0 and all of it depending on how keen the dealer is to do the deal!

I would visit/call/surf for the best price inc the finance deal and then introduce the scrapper and negotiate from there.

OP
C

chigs23

Reaction score
Exactly! Mercedes say that themselves. I am going to try and call head office to check on Monday!:(
So p***** off, they initially said yes and I put a deposit down.. and later they turned around and said we may not be able to give you the full 2K, may be 1.5k as the car is already been heavily discounted. then they you cant cant 2k at all!
I got the car with the finance offer (attached link). The sale executive helping seems really safe, but regardless!!
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...e/new_cars/offers/c-class/saloon/finance.html

I have not got anything free.. I am paying what the national offer is, its not like I got a discount on top! Even BMW say they will give finance offer and pay towards the deposit and you can have the 2K!!

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
ring another dealer and see what they say - will they do it to get the deal?. You can get your deposit back as they've changed the terms of the deal. What I don't know is whether you can get the government £1000 without the manufacturer's £1000 or whether one is contingent on the other. It may be that the deal you have is better than what you'd get with the £2k.
It may also be worth looking at what you can get with a different finance scheme - possibly with a bank.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom