Newbie buying help + show me yours.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Thankyou for the link, As stunning as that is , I need that middle seat haha , hence why its between a saloon and estate and imo they both look better than the coupe, I'm not really a coupe fan

Of course each to his own and one's needs of course. I've come to realise I must be a bit of a Coupe Fan seeing as through my life I've had eight of the damn things! The first one being a Karmann Ghia in 1980.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Of course each to his own and one's needs of course. I've come to realise I must be a bit of a Coupe Fan seeing as through my life I've had eight of the damn things! The first one being a Karmann Ghia in 1980.
You should have kept the Karman's Ghia, worth a bit now!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Quick search on AT with your restrictions and no 350 in your budget I’m afraid

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
You should have kept the Karman's Ghia, worth a bit now!

You don't have to tell me!

It had a 1500 twin Carb motor. (Not standard). It was running on 6 volts but I got a 12v Battery and tapped 8v and ran it like that perfectly fine.

The main reason why I sold it was because the Clutch was a bit iffy and if not really careful it would judder like crazy and rock the Engine, and seeing as it was a Cable Clutch it kept on snapping the blooming Cable! And of course back then in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe you couldn't get replacements only have a new one made.... Which weren't the best. Also I got sick and tired of changing the damn thing - not the easiest!

I eventually sold it for - wait for it............................................................................. $450.00 (With a snapped Cable). And back then the Dollar was level with the Pound on the official exchange rate! (Of course it didn't stay like that for long!).

Unfortunately I never took a photo - didn't have a camera. Not much point as you couldn't get Film anyway!

But it looked just like this - same colour also! (Minus the Roof Rack).

MUio8o4.jpg

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
You don't have to tell me!

It had a 1500 twin Carb motor. (Not standard). It was running on 6 volts but I got a 12v Battery and tapped 8v and ran it like that perfectly fine.

The main reason why I sold it was because the Clutch was a bit iffy and if not really careful it would judder like crazy and rock the Engine, and seeing as it was a Cable Clutch it kept on snapping the blooming Cable! And of course back then in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe you couldn't get replacements only have a new one made.... Which weren't the best. Also I got sick and tired of changing the damn thing - not the easiest!

I eventually sold it for - wait for it............................................................................. $450.00 (With a snapped Cable). And back then the Dollar was level with the Pound on the official exchange rate! (Of course it didn't stay like that for long!).

Unfortunately I never took a photo - didn't have a camera. Not much point as you couldn't get Film anyway!

But it looked just like this - same colour also! (Minus the Roof Rack).

MUio8o4.jpg
I had 2 Beatles back in the 60's when I was in Germany, a 1960 1200cc & a 1966 1300cc. Both very reliable cars, only one clutch cable change on the 1300cc. It broke about 6" from the clutch leaver arm on a Sunday in Holland where I had a girlfriend at the time. I managed to reconnect it using an electrical block connector, which got me back to Germany. Never had a clutch fail, but the judder was often from the engine mountings. In those days Karmann Ghia's weren't that much more expensive than Beatles.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
My first ever new car was in 1974 in Karachi and was a 1300cc Beetle in bright orange, fantastic car with an engine that did not know when to quit! Floor it in any gear and it would just keep accelerating until I chickened out and changed up!! Wish I had a photo of that car, there are a few amusing memories attached to it! Driving in Karachi we had 1 serious piece of advice from my company and the embassy, if you have a RTA especially if an injured pedestrian is involved, do not stay on the scene, if possible drive immediately to the embassy (UK or USA) then call for assistnace, as there were incidences of expats being attacked (and killed) after hitting a pedestrian!!

OP
noswad

noswad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 C220 cdi sport plus
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. How difficult is it to fit heated seats ? Are the connections already there or would I have to buy compete seats ?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. How difficult is it to fit heated seats ? Are the connections already there or would I have to buy compete seats ?
Complete seats, if the car you want doesn’t have the option at that point you can’t easily retrofit, Mercedes make all their electrical harnesses individual unlike VAG

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom