Newbie, looking at C270

Dazzler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Estate 05
Firstly i would just like to say hi to everyone:p

Secondly, i am thinking about getting a C270 CDI on 53 plate Estate.
Its done 64k and is the Avantgarde with Sport pack?? for £8995.

Price seems resonable for a dealer.

Am i right in saying that this should NOT have the Valeo rad issue and also should be fully galvernised and so NOT have the rust issue?

Are these a good reliable diesel, or do they suffer with turbo trouble and injector problems and pump problems??

What else is there to look out for?

Tia

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,, the car would have to have been manufactured after the 30-09-2003 to be clear on the Valeo problem,,unles the car has a Behr rad,,,if it is a rally nice car and has a valeo rad that has been OK you could change the rad.

Cars after 04-3003 are all galvanized, once again the build date.

Feed the 17 figure VIN into here to get the build date

http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hello and welcome,, the car would have to have been manufactured after the 30-09-2003 to be clear on the Valeo problem,,unless the car has a Behr rad,,,if it is a rally nice car and has a valeo rad that has been OK you could change the rad.

Cars after 04-3003 are all galvanized, once again the build date.

Feed the 17 figure VIN into here to get the build date

http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

As for Malcolm. Sounds as though the car is just "on the cusp" for these issues, so worth confirming the build date. As Malcolm has said, all cars built after 04-3003 will be galvanized!

In the unlikely event that the car was built before galvanizing, it might just be worth holding off and finding one which is galvanized.

The 270 is a well respected engine on the Forum, reliability seems good and fuel economy can be exceptional whilst power and performance are good. My personal preference would be for automatic, and I guess most of these cars will be auto. manual would give best economy, but it all depends on type of use and personal taste.

NJones59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI Avantgarde
I have had no end of........pleasure from my C270, I was also relieved to be told that it was not subject to the Valeo problem. Now I am not sure whether that was for this car/engine derivative or my car in particular, which was registered in September 2003.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have had no end of........pleasure from my C270, I was also relieved to be told that it was not subject to the Valeo problem. Now I am not sure whether that was for this car/engine derivative or my car in particular, which was registered in September 2003.

With the behr rad there was no problem,,and they are very nice cars as you say

OP
D

Dazzler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Estate 05
Are these autos not tiptronic then??
Do they have a sports mode or anything?

OP
D

Dazzler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Estate 05
It has a registration date of 27-10-03,
The silly dealer cant read all the 17 numbers of the VIN:neutral: so i cant use the website:(

Does Merc have a UK helpline where i could ask the question and just give them the registration number?

Do these C270's have a cambelt, if so what are its intervals?

Thanks again

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
It has a registration date of 27-10-03,
The silly dealer cant read all the 17 numbers of the VIN:neutral: so i cant use the website:(

Does Merc have a UK helpline where i could ask the question and just give them the registration number?

Do these C270's have a cambelt, if so what are its intervals?

Thanks again

I had an E320 CDI with a similar sale date. They were a recent model at that time and were selling very briskly - I would be surprised if the build date was much before then, and should certainly be after 04 03.

I am sure the car I had was galvanized and had nano paint (although it was not announced to the market until the following year), as its paintwork was impeccable when I sold it in late 2006 @ 43,000 and it bore no evidence of its fortnightly trip through the car wash.

MB use timing chains rather than cam belts so replacement is not common, although adjustment (tensioner) may be required from time to time.

gre1591

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Auto (1995)
If I want to know about a cars build date I ring up a Mercedes authorised dealer parts department to enquire about a part for the car in question giving them the Vin no chassis no or whatever it is on the windscreen and in the conversation that arises over the part I just ask what the build date was of that chassis number I gave you and they are normally very helpful and easily tell you.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom