Newbie needs help with sick SLK200

slksocket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 2003 2ltr
After pressing hazzard switch which flashed twice, instruments died and engine will not crank.
Indicators only work with hazzard switch in (as indicators not all 4 together). At key on only battery
symbol is displayed. Have checked all fuses and K40 all good.
Any help appreciated.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Well start with the basic... a good charged battery, no point in not starting at the beginning.
Then its connections including earth.

Any symptoms leading up to this problem ?

OP
S

slksocket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 2003 2ltr
Well start with the basic... a good charged battery, no point in not starting at the beginning.
Then its connections including earth.

Any symptoms leading up to this problem ?

Thanks for reply, battery charged, voltage is good. No warning of failure - car ran fine.
When it occured the car was stationary on my drive with the engine on idle.
I pressed the hazzard switch just to check they still worked when the dash went blank, the engine revs started to rise so switched it off. On trying to restart no cranking. You can hear the fuel pump run, but no other sounds.
Items that still work - roof,horn,windows,heater fan,lights except indicators.
I'm thinking perhaps a failure of the key transponder or Das ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Key transponder/DAS wouldn't cause revs to rise.
It needs to be scanned for error codes with a proper code reader that can interrogate all modules (not just a generic reader).

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Something like this has been on before stalk, relays, ecu springs to mind sorry can't remember properly

OP
S

slksocket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 2003 2ltr
Something like this has been on before stalk, relays, ecu springs to mind sorry can't remember properly
Thanks guys, I have an independent MB workshop within half mile I'll see on Monday if they can scan it. Will post results.

OP
S

slksocket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 2003 2ltr
Just an update problem fixed.
Checked all fuses visually, all looked Ok.
Star diags could only connect to main module so was of little help so started again from scratch checked all fuses again with meter and found no 35 blown.
All the above symptoms are caused by the failure this fuse.
Don't rely on a visual check as this cost £40 for the star plus many hours of unneccessary work.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Just an update problem fixed.
Checked all fuses visually, all looked Ok.
Star diags could only connect to main module so was of little help so started again from scratch checked all fuses again with meter and found no 35 blown.
All the above symptoms are caused by the failure this fuse.
Don't rely on a visual check as this cost £40 for the star plus many hours of unneccessary work.

Unfortunately there is an over reliance on Star its great but not for everything.
I have seen Star plugged in for an obviously loose connection (which it couldn't find)
As above start with the basics and I consider fuses as connections.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom