newbie needs quick help

bigredone

Reaction score
I was driving on the M6 yesterday when my 1998 c240 just lost power. I kept my foot planted because I was in the fast lane but the power loss continued. As I moved towards the hard shoulder it felt like the rear wheels locked up so I knocked it into neutral (auto box) and limped onto the shoulder.

On the shoulder the engine died straight away.

Tried to restart, turned over and didn't fire.

left it 5 minutes and back to normal.

drove 20 miles before it did it again, just as I overtook a police car!

Does anyone have any ideas what went wrong. It has had a new MAF sensor less than 2 months ago.

It's also in for a service tomorrow and I could do with a heads up before I get ripped off with the trial and error thing.

Cheers

Matt

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Crankshaft Position Sensor gone duff? Symptoms sound the same as happened on my Cherokee.

The CPS usually fails when it's hot but let it cool down and the car will run again until the heat builds up and then it cuts out again.

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
C240 V6 do suffer from crankshaft position sensors (L5's) going down. Ideally it needs to be diagnosed with a star machine to be accurate, but I would think thats your problem due to the engine restarting again and performing a few minutes after your episode.....

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
All motorway lanes are FAST lanes, even the 56 MPH a truck can do is fast, I believe what you meant is correctly refered to as the third or overtaking lane. I call it the Mercedes Benz lane.

I concur that your crank sensor is a likely candidtate, unfortunatly intermittent faults almost always include trail and error to diagnose and fix them.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Coz they are very naughty.

Its the Audis that most annoy me.

OP
B

bigredone

Reaction score
turned out to be a cheap fule pump, one of the sensors in it wouldn't talk to the ECU properly

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom