newbie on the look out

H

hal 1

Hi

As above, i'm soon going to be on the look out for an SLK230 around 2002/2003, after reading various threads i'm left wondering about the possibility of rust problems on a car of this age, i have a 1997 astra(bought new) that has very little rust at all, so i would think that a merc shouldn't have any probs at all, am i right ?

Also the fluid changes on an auto gearbox, I've been told by a rebuilder that if the fluid is pink and showing no trace of any brown in it then it should be ok, also told this by V/hall dealer, though neither would be too worried if i needed a new one, of course it's cheaper change it than a new box, i just wondered why it was necessary, BTW mrs toyota's sealed for life!

Could anyone explain what a MAF is please ?

Would i be better looking for one that has had the mobilo kept up to date or should i risk it given what main dealer service prices are likely to be ?
i don't know what they'll cost either, any figures ?

sorry if i appear to be asking a lot of questions but this will be my first venture into luxury (expensive) motors
thanks in advance hal

OP
H

hal 1

I think i'm going to give mercs a miss, threads from people like MSG2004, Gurmot and Lulu01 with all the other replies lead me to believe that i might be making a big mistake, Body penetration on a 2002 Mercedes !!
Looks like it could be Audi or Volvo, depending on forum views, BUT never say never.
thanks to everyone who viewed
hal

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Hi

As above, i'm soon going to be on the look out for an SLK230 around 2002/2003, after reading various threads i'm left wondering about the possibility of rust problems on a car of this age, i have a 1997 astra(bought new) that has very little rust at all, so i would think that a merc shouldn't have any probs at all, am i right ?

Try to go for 2004 onward model, they have galvanised body with no rust issues.

Would i be better looking for one that has had the mobilo kept up to date or should i risk it given what main dealer service prices are likely to be ?
i don't know what they'll cost either, any figures ?
Gearbox oil should be changed every 60K miles along with filter and gasket. Check if this has been done otherwise it will be around £200 for the lot.

Mobilo is no better than any decent AA cover. Only difference is that you have to pay rediculous prices to keep Mobilio when you can simply buy AA cover for 1 hour labour of MB. Find a decent car with history and then keep it maintained by a local well Indie

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom