Newbie with a problem

lasybones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDi 2003
Hi to one and all, have had merc's for a few years now, live in the east midlands, originally from london, have a W Regd W210 E280, and have only just found out about this forum, when i was using google to try and find an answer to a problem, which i hope someone here might be able to help, as with other forums there seems to be a vast knowledge bank out there.
The problem is when i start car cold, if i accelerate off straight away quite quickly, the engine seem to be holding back and the more you try to accelerate the harder it seems hold back,if you hold a set revs it sems to run lumpy missing, then when you become stationary in drive, it appears to have rough tickover, almost stalling. all i do to stop it, is to switch off, restart straight away and drive off with no problems it's getting more often now, possibly cold weather? something sticking. it does the same sometimes after work and it's been stood all day. when it's running rough/missing? it doesn't backfire or pop, just runs really rough. W210 E280 V6 auto (2 plugs per cylinder seperate coil packs for each cylinder) although if it were plugs, leads or packs i would have thought it would do it all the time or until it warmed up, but we all know what thought does,
a big thanks in advance to anyone with any useful suggestions
Tony :)

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
the 'rough running' will be cylinder shut down as you say turning off and on again cures it. cylinder shut down is controlled bu the ecu, and is done to avoid damage to the cats (ie unburnt fuel and excess oxygen + cat = overheated monolith). the causes of the missfiring that triggers cylinder shut down are many and varied, eg maf sensor out of tolerence, ht lead faults (these are probebly the most likely on your car). if you can get the fault codes read and post them here we can help further, alternatively we could recommend an independent near you to read codes and diagnose (note: reading fault codes is just one step towards diagnosis - a common misunderstanding is that they tell the mechanic what to replace!!!).

good luck tony.

OP
L

lasybones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDi 2003
the 'rough running' will be cylinder shut down as you say turning off and on again cures it. cylinder shut down is controlled bu the ecu, and is done to avoid damage to the cats (ie unburnt fuel and excess oxygen + cat = overheated monolith). the causes of the missfiring that triggers cylinder shut down are many and varied, eg maf sensor out of tolerence, ht lead faults (these are probebly the most likely on your car). if you can get the fault codes read and post them here we can help further, alternatively we could recommend an independent near you to read codes and diagnose (note: reading fault codes is just one step towards diagnosis - a common misunderstanding is that they tell the mechanic what to replace!!!).

good luck tony.

Many thanks for your advice :smile:
would anyone know of an independant in my area that they could reccomend, I live at Loughborough, leicestershire, or are there any test or checks i could carry out

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes mercland.com in Nuneaton ask for Jay

OP
L

lasybones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 CDi 2003
Hi to all again, i know some makers allow you to read fault codes from the display on the dash by pressing certain buttons in a certain sequance, does the mercedes dash display support this and if so how do i get to it :confused:
Tony

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You cannot do this on a MB

Top Bottom