Nexen tyres

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I presume they are the Nexen N Fera SU1, is that correct?

Any views on Riken UHP, which are made by Michelin?

I've also been recommended Rotalla and blacklion tyres which generally have good reviews
Yes to my Nexen tyres buddy

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Over the years I’ve used the n’blu HD, SU1, n8000 and n6000 on various cars, all have been pretty consistent and for the style of driving really are very good value

ssheikh93

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220d
I presume they are the Nexen N Fera SU1, is that correct?

Any views on Riken UHP, which are made by Michelin?

I've also been recommended Rotalla and blacklion tyres which generally have good reviews
Rotalla is the worst tyre I've ever used and I have used many budgets like jinyu, accelera, hifly, blacklion.

Please don't use them they are so cheap for a reason. I drive casually and it literally lasted me only a few months. You spin you wheel from the slowest of drive offs.

Avoid. Jinyu or accelera are "ok" budgets but spend a bit more and get nexens

ash1212002

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 200 coupe kompressor auto 57 plate
Rotalla is the worst tyre I've ever used and I have used many budgets like jinyu, accelera, hifly, blacklion.

Please don't use them they are so cheap for a reason. I drive casually and it literally lasted me only a few months. You spin you wheel from the slowest of drive offs.

Avoid. Jinyu or accelera are "ok" budgets but spend a bit more and get nexens

Thanks good to know, looking up the Nexens there are a few ranges SU1 others have fitted on this forum anyone fitted Nexens SU2 or SU4?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Thanks good to know, looking up the Nexens there are a few ranges SU1 others have fitted on this forum anyone fitted Nexens SU2 or SU4?

I have always had premium tyres in the past but on my current car I inherited Nexen Nfera SU1's. So far I have been impressed with them. They are hard wearing, quiet and do all of the things that I want from a tyre. I would buy them again :)

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Thats what i fitted to "the LUMP" (ML270) Nfera SU1's
The mini and daughters Mini has Nexen but called N blue, very quiet, seem to grip well.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I have always had premium tyres in the past but on my current car I inherited Nexen Nfera SU1's. So far I have been impressed with them. They are hard wearing, quiet and do all of the things that I want from a tyre. I would buy them again :)
I struggle with the concept of hard wearing & good braking going together.

How do you find them for stopping the car (emergency stop)? Have you tested them under hard braking?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I struggle with the concept of hard wearing & good braking going together.

How do you find them for stopping the car (emergency stop)? Have you tested them under hard braking?
I havn't had the need to do an emergency stop as yet. I tend to give the car in front plenty of space between us, maybe too much sometimes if that is at all possible. :rolleyes:

I also havn't been in a position where some idiot has given me cause to do an emergency stop either so I can't give you an answer on that one either. All I can say is that they feel secure although I havn't been in a position where I had to test their limits, nor do I intend to if at all possible. :)

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
all i can say about grip of the Nexen's is that the wifes Mini cooper D has quite a lot of torque, and does, if i am not careful, pull away quite sharpest if a go for a quick pull out and dump the clutch, with the Michelins it had ( which were quite old but had good tread) i occasionally had front wheels "tramping", have not noticed it since fitting the Nexen's.
But i do not drive hard, braking seems fine, no bum clenching moments as yet.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I havn't had the need to do an emergency stop as yet. I tend to give the car in front plenty of space between us, maybe too much sometimes if that is at all possible. :rolleyes:

I also havn't been in a position where some idiot has given me cause to do an emergency stop either so I can't give you an answer on that one either. All I can say is that they feel secure although I havn't been in a position where I had to test their limits, nor do I intend to if at all possible. :)
I also leave a good clearance in front. I always “test my tyres”. Perhaps it is worth trying an emergency stop (wet & dry) rather that waiting to see what the tyres are going to do when you really need them :D, especially, as you are used to more recognised brands.

I’ve been researching and reviews are very mixed on Nexens, as a rule they seem to underperform compared to the “recognised brands”.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I put SU1s on my E249. No issues even under hard wet braking. SEM roughly the same as the RS3s from what I've found so far.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I also leave a good clearance in front. I always “test my tyres”. Perhaps it is worth trying an emergency stop (wet & dry) rather that waiting to see what the tyres are going to do when you really need them :D, especially, as you are used to more recognised brands.

I’ve been researching and reviews are very mixed on Nexens, as a rule they seem to underperform compared to the “recognised brands”.
I’ve tested mine for emergency braking and did a before and after against the conti’s that came off, okay not a perfect test but on the same road, direction, weather and speed the stopping distance was the same (or as close that it really wouldn’t make a difference).
For their price point they punch above their weight in performance, and some of the official tests reflect that too which is enough for me.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’ve tested mine for emergency braking and did a before and after against the conti’s that came off, okay not a perfect test but on the same road, direction, weather and speed the stopping distance was the same (or as close that it really wouldn’t make a difference).
For their price point they punch above their weight in performance, and some of the official tests reflect that too which is enough for me.
@rorywquin Is that ^^^ the answer you were looking for ? :)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
@rorywquin Is that ^^^ the answer you were looking for ? :)

I cannot find a proper objective test so still not convinced. Do you have links to the official tests you have seen?. I looked at the site linked below - looks German but with many objective tyre tests and Nexens do not really feature in the top 10 anywhere that I could find (although I was looking at reviews close to sizes for my car).

Although the recognised brands probably cost 2x what a Nexen does, I’ll stick to them. I’m more in the school of “you get what you pay for”.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cannot find a proper objective test so still not convinced. Do you have links to the official tests you have seen?. I looked at the site linked below - looks German but with many objective tyre tests and Nexens do not really feature in the top 10 anywhere that I could find (although I was looking at reviews close to sizes for my car).

Although the recognised brands probably cost 2x what a Nexen does, I’ll stick to them. I’m more in the school of “you get what you pay for”.

Me either now, however the last time I looked was when I was first looking at them a few years ago

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
in a lot of cases " you get what you pay for " is a good yard stick but Pirelli's are expensive and imo , total rubbish for the amount they cost !

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
in a lot of cases " you get what you pay for " is a good yard stick but Pirelli's are expensive and imo , total rubbish for the amount they cost !
Been running Pirellis since about 2012 (SLK & SL) and never had a problem. How are they rubbish & on which car?

PZeros (were standard from MB) for my car are the same price as equivalent Goodyear, Michelin etc.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

Don’t try your emergency stop in the winter with your summers on buddy , they may not stand up to expected stopping distances ;) .
In the E320cdi I can’t tell any difference with the Nexens compared to the Goodyear’s they replaced , I know that‘s no test , but I’ve accelerated hard and stopped fast in a mix of weather . I do swap to winters (Pirelli at the moment ) in November so that’s a fair balance of safety in my humble opinion

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom